Value of: CGY and TOR

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Gaudreau is UFA after next season and Leafs don't have much cap space. If the Leafs trade Nylander, I'm hoping they bring back players with term on their contract or ELC players.

Reactions: banks

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
not going to argue that Nylander is in Gaudreau's echelon, but I think the best way to build a team is to be good for a long time rather than really good for a short time. The odds of winning a championship are way better if the Leafs are built for 10-15 years rather than for right now. Nylander's contract is long enough that he probably isn't up again until there's some significant cap inflation so there's room to bring him back if that's what we want to do, Gaudreau's would put us in a tough spot where we definitely had to choose between who we want to keep.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
When you consider contract status, I'd rather keep Nylander than have Gaudreau. As for the rest, I don't think much of Bennett. So I'd pass for Toronto.

Pretty close to even, value wise. And I'd imagine some CGY fans would decline. So not a terrible proposal. But there's not much incentive for Toronto. CGY gets a core shakeup that they need. But what does Toronto gain?

Bond

May 10, 2012
When you consider contract status, I'd rather keep Nylander than have Gaudreau. As for the rest, I don't think much of Bennett. So I'd pass for Toronto.

Pretty close to even, value wise. And I'd imagine some CGY fans would decline. So not a terrible proposal. But there's not much incentive for Toronto. CGY gets a core shakeup that they need. But what does Toronto gain?
The better players

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
The better players

*shrug* That's debatable.

Nylander VS Gaudreau. Their production this season, and their cap hits, are very similar. Nylander is younger, and signed for longer.

Kerfoot VS Bennett. Kerf is producing better, and plays more ice time per game. Bennett is still overrated because of his draft status and a few hot streaks.

Mangiapane is a talented guy, but similar to Kapanen or Johnsson. Toronto has been overloaded with this kind of player for years.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
*shrug* That's debatable.

Nylander VS Gaudreau. Their production this season, and their cap hits, are very similar. Nylander is younger, and signed for longer.

This a very bad year for Gaudreau, and a typical year for Nylander.

Kerfoot VS Bennett. Kerf is producing better, and plays more ice time per game. Bennett is still overrated because of his draft status and a few hot streaks.

Kerfoot and Bennet are entirely different players. Bennett's biggest asset is his physical play. Kerfoot doesn't bring that.

Mangiapane is a talented guy, but similar to Kapanen or Johnsson. Toronto has been overloaded with this kind of player for years.

No Mangiapane is good. He creates his own offence. Johnsson is an entirely different player. Kapanen was a solid player. No team is overloaded with a player like that. Kapenen would be your fifth highest scoring forward.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
A
Calgary Gets
- Nylander
- Kerfoot
- 2021 2nd

Toronto Gets
-Gaudreau
-Mangiapane (1M retention)
- Bennett

Cap Balances
cting like mangiapane is just a throw in to even out cap imagineeee Calgary very clearly gets fleeced here, in my personal opinion this trade isn’t nearly close

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Mangi is part of the future with the Flames. He’s improving every year and he brings his all. I can see him becoming equal to Nylander in the near future.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This a very bad year for Gaudreau, and a typical year for Nylander.

Kerfoot and Bennet are entirely different players. Bennett's biggest asset is his physical play. Kerfoot doesn't bring that.

No Mangiapane is good. He creates his own offence. Johnsson is an entirely different player. Kapanen was a solid player. No team is overloaded with a player like that. Kapenen would be your fifth highest scoring forward.

Bennet's only asset is his physical play.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd do Johnny + Bennett(50% retained) for Nylander + whatever to balance salary. Johnny is the better player but there's value in term.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
eh. not a bad offer by any means, but the upgrade from Kerfoot-Mangiapane is not worth the downgrade from Nylander-Gaudreau.

Bennett isnt really of a lot of interest to me. not any better than our current bottom 6 options.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
eh. not a bad offer by any means, but the upgrade from Kerfoot-Mangiapane is not worth the downgrade from Nylander-Gaudreau.

Bennett isnt really of a lot of interest to me. not any better than our current bottom 6 options.
The only thing that Nylander has on Gaudreau is term. JG is the better offensive player. The gap between Mangiapane and Kerfoot is significant.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
The only thing that Nylander has on Gaudreau is term. JG is the better offensive player. The gap between Mangiapane and Kerfoot is significant.
Nylander is 3 years younger and producing better.

last 2 years combinded:

Gaudreau: 104 GP, 31 G, 52 A, 83 P, for 0.3 GPG and 0.8 PPG

Nylander: 100 GP, 43 G, 40 A, 83 P, for 0.43 GPG and 0.83 PPG

so he has goal scoring, age, and term on his side. absolutely a more valuable asset.

Mangiapane isnt that much better than Kerfoot. their PPG's over the past 2 years are similar, Kerfoot 0.43 and Mangiapane 0.48. plus Kerfoot is a C. its not significant. what makes him more valuable imo is his RFA status. but lets not act like he is a significantly better player right now.

so all in all the gap in value between Kerfoot-Mangiapane doesnt make up for the gap between Nylander-Gaudreau.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Nylander is 3 years younger and producing better.

last 2 years combinded:

Gaudreau: 104 GP, 31 G, 52 A, 83 P, for 0.3 GPG and 0.8 PPG

Nylander: 100 GP, 43 G, 40 A, 83 P, for 0.43 GPG and 0.83 PPG

so he has goal scoring, age, and term on his side. absolutely a more valuable asset.

Mangiapane isnt that much better than Kerfoot. their PPG's over the past 2 years are similar, Kerfoot 0.43 and Mangiapane 0.48. plus Kerfoot is a C. its not significant. what makes him more valuable imo is his RFA status. but lets not act like he is a significantly better player right now.

so all in all the gap in value between Kerfoot-Mangiapane doesnt make up for the gap between Nylander-Gaudreau.
Gaudreau riding shot gun on the Leafs top 6 he produces more than in Calgary. To act like their points is comparable apples to apples is just flat out wrong. Gaudreau is the better player. Yes Nylander has more term. Mangiapane is much better than Kerfoot - Mangiapane is an offence driving grinder. I would take Mangiapane over Kerfoot 11 times out of 10. If you were to ask actual hockey fans who they would rather have on their team between JG and WN, I think there would be a pretty overwhelming in favor of Gaudreau. Go back 1 more season and let see the point comparison, or 2 years - it's easy to use specific stats with no reference to try to prove a point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad