GDT: CGY(34-37-5) @ SJ(18-51-8) 8:30pm SNW, tank-off at the Sharktank

Which of these forwards should the Flames re-sign next season?

• Total voters

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Y
He isn't (unless you just mean tonight, in which case I agree).

In saying that, he should get more minutes at some point. I'd imagine Mangi is traded in the off-season to make room for him and Pelletier.
Just tonight for sure

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sutter was a great coach, anyone that thinks otherwise is dumb. Ive been saying it last year, the players are just babies, they and the media used sutter as an excuse for their poor performance and now 80% of them is performing worse than last year. My only complaints about him is hes unwillingness to play the young guys, beyond that hes heads and shoulder above huska.
I will admit tho given the direction of the team, a coach that will play young players are a better fit for this team.
Okay, I'm dumb and can't see the magestic light lol. Sutter was incredibly overrated in his second stint in Calgary. He hit gold with the Gaudreau-Lindy-Tkachuk line, but otherwise he stifled the development of our prospects and set this team back significantly in the long run. Depending on who you believed he also potentially played a role in certain players wanting out.

Good riddance to him. Name and clout.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Okay, I'm dumb and can't see the magestic light lol. Sutter was incredibly overrated in his second stint in Calgary. He hit gold with the Gaudreau-Lindy-Tkachuk line, but otherwise he stifled the development of our prospects and set this team back significantly in the long run.

Whose development did he stifle? How did he set us back?

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Currently watching the end of caps wings. 2-0 caps 5 to go.

As far as our game? Kadri has a big game as does Ras imo. We are trash against bottom feeders, but sharks are apex predators so we likely torch 'em.
Insert Brent Rambo thumbs up gif.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Okay, I'm dumb and can't see the magestic light lol. Sutter was incredibly overrated in his second stint in Calgary. He hit gold with the Gaudreau-Lindy-Tkachuk line, but otherwise he stifled the development of our prospects and set this team back significantly in the long run.

He set the team back how? And which prospect was held back by him? Valimaki? Guy whose playing 3rd pair on arizona? Or Philips? Whose been on waivers twice this year already. Tre is who has set this team back

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Well it's subjective, but I didn't see this for one second. His play significantly improved for a few months, but until late November he was very very bad. Since the deadline he's back to being meh, and I'd argue no better than Wolf.

It's also just expectations. I will flat-out say I expect more from a 6m dollar veteran goalie than a first-year rookie. And if Wolf really sucks, I'll say it (like against San Jose when some ppl blamed the defence but I thought he was just bad).
Yeah we're just gonna agree to disagree on that one.

I will agree Markstrom hasnt been much better than Wolf since the deadline.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Such a terrific coach. Especially when he put Lucic in our top 6 for 20 games and we missed the playoffs by 2 points...

Yeah :laugh: that was the reason we missed. Not Huberdeau playing like his brain fell out or Markstrom not being able to stop a beachball or Kadri completely phoning it in after the All Star Break.

Okay, I'm dumb and can't see the magestic light lol.
lol indeed
Sutter was incredibly overrated in his second stint in Calgary. He hit gold with the Gaudreau-Lindy-Tkachuk line, but otherwise he stifled the development of our prospects and set this team back significantly in the long run.

Set this team back how? I'm not too broken up he's gone either because he's not the right coach for a rebuild and the Flames would likely still be battling for a WC if he was here.

Guy has 2 Stanley Cups and brought a clearly mid 04 Flames team within one goal of another. Kings haven't been out of the 1st round since he left. He's like objectively a great NHL head coach.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Whose development did he stifle? How did he set us back?
Juuso Valimaki.

He set the team back how? And which prospect was held back by him? Valimaki? Guy whose playing 3rd pair on arizona? Or Philips? Whose been on waivers twice this year already. Tre is who has set this team back
By refusing to develop any of the talent in our pool in favour of his buddies in Lewis and Lucic. Zary didn't see a single minute in the NHL despite a standout pre-season, Wolf saw nothing until the last game of the season. And yes, even though Phillips didn't pan out as an NHLer, making that assessment after 2 games was total bs.

You can't be a competitive team when you don't give your youth a chance. In his 3 years in Calgary what notable prospect got a real shot with Sutter? For all its faults, that 2022-23 team had pretty awesome depth. Imagine he gave someone just a little better that 8th or 9th forward spot instead of going back to old reliable.

Yeah :laugh: that was the reason we missed. Not Huberdeau playing like his brain fell out or Markstrom not being able to stop a beachball or Kadri completely phoning it in after the All Star Break.

lol indeed

Set this team back how? I'm not too broken up he's gone either because he's not the right coach for a rebuild and the Flames would likely still be battling for a WC if he was here.

Guy has 2 Stanley Cups and brought a clearly mid 04 Flames team within one goal of another. Kings haven't been out of the 1st round since he left. He's like objectively a great NHL head coach.
Playing a 13th forward caliber player in a top 6 role for 1/4 of the season when we missed by 2 points wasn't the difference? Don't get me wrong Marky was ass and Huberdeau ditto, but that team also had some insane depth too... almost something that caters to his coaching strengths.

He isn't objectively a great NHL coach, he was one, key word on was. You can't dispute what he did in LA, but his second tenure in Calgary ended in shambles. And that is why he is getting paid 8m dollars to sit at home rather than coach. Good riddance, if you don't have the ability to communicate with your players and keep them on board than you just aren't cut out for the job. Especially in a market like Calgary that has enough disadvantages, we didn't need another one.

Last edited:

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Juuso Valimaki.

By refusing to develop any of the talent in our pool in favour of his buddies in Lewis and Lucic. Zary didn't see a single minute in the NHL despite a standout pre-season, Wolf saw nothing until the last game of the season. And yes, even though Phillips didn't pan out as an NHLer, making that assessment after 2 games was total bs.

You can't be a competitive team when you don't give your youth a chance. In his 3 years in Calgary what notable prospect got a real shot with Sutter?

Valimaki felt entitled to a spot he didn't earn. Zary didn't play this year until someone got injured. Wolf waiting a bit longer didn't set him back or stifle him and complaining about Phillips at this point is stupid, Sutter was clearly right about him.

What notable prospects did we have at the time that were ready? Sutter definitely has a veteran bias but it's not like there were a bunch of NHL ready guys.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Juuso Valimaki.

You can't be a competitive team when you don't give your youth a chance. In his 3 years in Calgary what notable prospect got a real shot with Sutter? For all its faults, that 2022-23 team had pretty awesome depth. Imagine he gave someone just a little better that 8th or 9th forward spot instead of going back to old reliable.

Playing a 13th forward caliber player in a top 6 role for 1/4 of the season when we missed by 2 points wasn't the difference? Don't get me wrong Marky was ass and Huberdeau ditto, but that team also had some insane depth too... almost something that caters to his coaching strengths.

He isn't objectively a great NHL coach, he was one, key word on was. You can't dispute what he did in LA, but his second tenure in Calgary ended in shambles. And that is why he is getting paid 8m dollars to sit at home rather than coach. Good riddance, if you don't have the ability to communicate with your players and keep them on board than you just aren't cut out for the job.
Valimaki was straight up playing like garbage and you know it, he lost the roster spot to connor freaking mackey..... Its not sutters fault kylington (a prospect that became a regular under sutter) stole valimakis spot and hes not better than zad or gudbranson.
Zary?? Lets be real, no one was talking about zary as a call up at any point last year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It’s also up to GMs not to waste depth roster spots but Brad managed to constantly have us deploying the most expensive 4th line in the league, some of whom were on multi-year contracts.

Coaches will have their pet players. It’s unavoidable. If Conroy goes out and signs a bunch of vet plugs this summer, I’m certain Huska would put one of them flanking Huberdeau’s opposite wing for a month. This year, all he has to fall in love with is Hunt.

Reactions: Tofveve

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Huska was a speaker at an event for my organizations coaches. Honestly, I feel like he’s a guy you give some time at the NHL level. Well spoken, respected, and smart - but doesn’t seem like a guy that thinks he’s above learning and change.

Plus, he doesn’t exactly have a very good roster. He had them fighting for a WC spot most of the year, which is really where we expected them to be.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Valimaki felt entitled to a spot he didn't earn. Zary didn't play this year until someone got injured. Wolf waiting a bit longer didn't set him back or stifle him and complaining about Phillips at this point is stupid, Sutter was clearly right about him.

What notable prospects did we have at the time that were ready? Sutter definitely has a veteran bias but it's not like there were a bunch of NHL ready guys.
And it turns out he proved right! And get this, the team could use an 18-20 minute a night dman! This case study really grinds my gears, it's as if this board has collective amnesia and forgets that he was actually a pretty passable dman under Geoff Ward even after coming back from injury.

As for the second point, who knows?! Its unprovable when prospects weren't getting a serious shot at the team! But seeing how Zary has come in as a middle-six player, I'm sure he could've seen more action last season and done just fine.

Valimaki was straight up playing like garbage and you know it, he lost the roster spot to connor freaking mackey..... Its not sutters fault kylington (a prospect that became a regular under sutter) stole valimakis spot and hes not better than zad or gudbranson.
Zary?? Lets be real, no one was talking about zary as a call up at any point last year.
Because he wrecked his confidence! It was never a talent or ability thing, his play degraded consistently the longer Sutter was around. It never made sense, and now that he is in a different organization that much was clear.

As for Zary, no one was talking about him in the flames fan sphere, but my standards are a little higher for those involved in the team who make millions of dollars. Unlike the bronze god, our new coach Jeff Bezos actually saw something in some of these players and gave them spots. It isn't on Sutter to dismiss players because no one was talking about them, but rather giving roster spots to who he thinks is under the radar.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
freak, we're going to somehow get 1-2 pts in this game.

Montreal won tonight this would have been such a clutch loss.

A few more losses and we can cement drafting Tij, then we get two cracks at Joe in 2026...

Getting both Iginla's would be amazing for Calgary with the new arena, and reliving the glory days. Come on, just looooose

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
And it turns out he proved right! And get this, the team could use an 18-20 minute a night dman! This case study really grinds my gears, it's as if this board has collective amnesia and forgets that he was actually a pretty passable dman under Geoff Ward even after coming back from injury.

As for the second point, who knows?! Its unprovable when prospects weren't getting a serious shot at the team! But seeing how Zary has come in as a middle-six player, I'm sure he could've seen more action last season and done just fine.

Because he wrecked his confidence! It was never a talent or ability thing, his play degraded consistently the longer Sutter was around. It never made sense, and now that he is in a different organization that much was clear.

As for Zary, no one was talking about him in the flames fan sphere, but my standards are a little higher for those involved in the team who make millions of dollars. Unlike the bronze god, our new coach Jeff Bezos actually saw something in some of these players and gave them spots. It isn't on Sutter to dismiss players because no one was talking about them, but rather giving roster spots to who he thinks is under the radar.
He lost hes confidence because he was outplayed by every other D on the roster 2 years straight, thats hes fault. Kylington took hes opportunity and ran with it, its valimakis own fault he couldnt grab a roster spot. He had the same opportunity kylington did.

Zary had major surgery the year before, what he is now is not what he was last year. There was only 3 players worthy of call-ups last year, Philips, Pelletier, and wolf.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

No it wasn't the difference. The team being unable to score a goal or get a save when they needed one time and time again was the difference. The most frustrating team I've ever watched by far. They dominated zone time game after game and yet had not a single clue how to actually win them.

He isn't objectively a great NHL coach, he was one, key word on was. You can't dispute what he did in LA, but his second tenure in Calgary ended in shambles. And that is why he is getting paid 8m dollars to sit at home rather than coach. Good riddance, if you don't have the ability to communicate with your players and keep them on board than you just aren't cut out for the job. Especially in a market like Calgary that has enough disadvantages, we didn't need another one.

Of the 400 guys who have been a head coach in the NHL, there are 20 that have won multiple Cups. That's being at the top 2.5% of your profession. That's being objectively great. We can all agree he wasn't the right coach to run a rebuilding retooling rewhatever roster but him wearing all of last season like the media and many fans seem to scapegoat him with doesn't sit well with me.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
That would have been nice if Weegar scored that. A pretty sloppy looking rush but he somehow managed to get past most of their D lmao.

Reactions: flames23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad