OT: CFL thread - Toronto v. Hamilton, East Final.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Sorry, but there's nothing in the water in Toronto that makes people like football less. The only sport that Toronto has that other cities don't is MLB, but you also have a much higher population that counteracts that.

Everyone knows that Toronto loves football just as much as the rest of Canada. NFL football. And I said it makes you look like your city thinks it's too good for Canada, because that's just what it looks like. No inferiority complex here, just an observation. There are far more Bills fans in Toronto than Argos fans, which is disappointing considering the rest of Canada, for the most part, really embraces and is proud of Canadian football.

I'm more of a NHL fan then AHL fan. Same with football. I like the NFL (see: superior league) more then the CFL, but I will watch some games. Nothing to do with Canada or being better then anyone, I just like a better product.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
edit: I just noticed that the last three posts in this exchange started with "sorry". How Canadian. :D

This reminds me of last night. I was at Jack Astors at Yonge and Dundas Square for the game. After we left and there was a small crowd (2-300 people) at the intersection. Whenever the 4 way crossing would go on everyone would run into the intersection and start jumping and cheering. When the lights would go green again, everyone would run back and wait for the next 4 way crossing to come on.

It was the most law abiding celebration I have ever seen. How Canadian!!

tape to tape

Nov 26, 2011
Fixing the CFL in Toronto is as simple as moving the Argos into a properly sized, outdoor, football specific stadium.

The same reason nobody cares about the Argos is the same reason nobody cares about 'Bills in Toronto' games, yet will happily drive to Buffalo, Cleveland or Detroit for a true football experience.

The Skydome is the worst thing to ever happen to the CFL.

Came here to post this.

I'm sure the atmosphere for the Grey Cup was great with over 50,000 fans there. But generally there are only 20 to 30 thousand for Argos games. I try to attend when the Ticats play in Toronto, but the atmosphere in Hamilton is a whole lot better because it is a football specific stadium and you are much closer to the action.

I encourage anyone that wants to go to their first CFL game to attend one in Hamilton when they get their new stadium built in 2014. Or, go to Guelph next year and watch a Ticat game, I bet you will have a good time.

hockeyfanz*

I'm sorry but how exactly do you know this? Your cities have only one or two meaningful pro sports team, thats why you guys draw big crowds.

Lets see how you guys do supporting your teams when we stick 4 more pro teams in there.

Toronto is not only one of the most expensive places to live in Canada, it also provides a crap load of options for people to spend their money. Unless you are providing a good product, people have no reason to give you their money. The Argos need to go on a good run for a couple years to regenerate public interest. Just look at blue jays to see what happens in Toronto when you are not producing top quality product.

The only exception to that rule is the Leafs.

You are correct in your sentiments but I dont understand why the Leafs should be able to provide an inferior product at the most expensive prices in the league and not be impacted negatively while in all other sports thats exactly what happens. I just dont get it. Personally, I only started following the Argos in the Eastern final...great game vs. the Als and another standout performance in the final. Way more entertaining than anything the Leafs have provided since Mats Sundin skated with Gary Roberts and Alex Mogilny. Way more.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
This reminds me of last night. I was at Jack Astors at Yonge and Dundas Square for the game. After we left and there was a small crowd (2-300 people) at the intersection. Whenever the 4 way crossing would go on everyone would run into the intersection and start jumping and cheering. When the lights would go green again, everyone would run back and wait for the next 4 way crossing to come on.

It was the most law abiding celebration I have ever seen. How Canadian!!

:laugh: Haha that's awesome. Great to hear some celebration stories rather than the pissing match going on.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
The oldest professional football team, and 3rd oldest franchise in North America obtains its 16th Grey Cup :handclap:

According to Wikipedia, it's the oldest existing professional sports franchise in North America. It was founded in 1873. Wikipedia isn't always correct though I've always considered them the oldest franchise in North America.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You are correct in your sentiments but I dont understand why the Leafs should be able to provide an inferior product at the most expensive prices in the league and not be impacted negatively while in all other sports thats exactly what happens. I just dont get it. Personally, I only started following the Argos in the Eastern final...great game vs. the Als and another standout performance in the final. Way more entertaining than anything the Leafs have provided since Mats Sundin skated with Gary Roberts and Alex Mogilny. Way more.

Here's tip, stop watching the Leafs... problem solved.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010

maybe your a fairweather fan (which would be weird considering your leafs videos) but for most on this site we've been watching the leafs far too long to stop watching them because they suck.
we still get mad though.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
maybe your a fairweather fan (which would be weird considering your leafs videos) but for most on this site we've been watching the leafs far too long to stop watching them because they suck.
we still get mad though.

Not even close to fair weather. I don't leave no matter what (BTW that's another Kessly Snipes that does the videos). I was more saying that to the guy complaining about inferior product and such. Don't like what you see, stop watching, but no one wants to hear you complain (him, not you)

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Came here to post this.

I'm sure the atmosphere for the Grey Cup was great with over 50,000 fans there. But generally there are only 20 to 30 thousand for Argos games. I try to attend when the Ticats play in Toronto, but the atmosphere in Hamilton is a whole lot better because it is a football specific stadium and you are much closer to the action.

I encourage anyone that wants to go to their first CFL game to attend one in Hamilton when they get their new stadium built in 2014. Or, go to Guelph next year and watch a Ticat game, I bet you will have a good time.

I am certain that a big part of the initial Toronto FC box office success was the simple allure of a professional sporting event in Toronto being played outdoors; something the city had not seen in nearly twenty years.

The Rogers Centre is a great, world class, entertainment facility. That doesn't mean it is a suitable venue for a CFL team.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/footb...ller-stadium-cfl-commissioner-mark-cohon-says

Cohon has said as much this week.

scxqj8.jpg

Just look at Winnipeg's new stadium! That thing is gorgeous! It will be the envy of the entire league. If they built that thing anywhere in the GTA, there would immediately be a waiting list for season tickets. Immediately! And they would sustain it a million times better than Toronto FC ever could because they already have a century of history.

Frankly I am dumbfound none of the big money players in Toronto sports has made this play yet.

Once the league sees how well this stadium works out they will actually put the rush on to get one built in Toronto. Hell, the other 7 or 8 teams in the league ought to pitch in, because once the Argos get their stadium, then that Toronto money will start flowing and the vaunted "tenth franchise" can finally become a reality.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
CFL fields are 50 yards longer and 5 yards wider than Soccer pitches. Also the lines would be a major issue since they can't just take it off the grass.

Ah, my bad. It makes sense now, if they do make a new arena I think the seating should be as large as BMO's 21k (I think).

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Ah, my bad. It makes sense now, if they do make a new arena I think the seating should be as large as BMO's 21k (I think).

It needs to be bigger than BMO. Between 30 and 35K is apprporiate for CFL.

And BMO doesn't work for the Argos because the entire foundation is too small. It is not possible to fit a regulation size CFL field + sidelines in between the stands. They would essentially have to rebuild BMO if they wanted to fit the Argos in.

Also, as a soccer fan, I don't want my pitch ruined by all those pointy-ball lines. :rant:

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
It needs to be bigger than BMO. Between 30 and 35K is apprporiate for CFL.

And BMO doesn't work for the Argos because the entire foundation is too small. It is not possible to fit a regulation size CFL field + sidelines in between the stands. They would essentially have to rebuild BMO if they wanted to fit the Argos in.

Also, as a soccer fan, I don't want my pitch ruined by all those pointy-ball lines. :rant:

After looking into the other stadiums, I think 30 and 38K would work very well. But it doesn't really matter if its less than 30K, lets say its at 28 (which is what Ottawa's new stadium holds) that is still reasonably good.

hockeyfanz*

No not problem solved...just one less idiot (yes im an idiot for wasting time and money following an inept organization like the Leafs) following the team religiously. Millions more though. That was the point I was agreeing with. A poster said Toronto sports fans are fickle but not when it comes to the Leafs. For some odd reason. And yes I may say darn you to the entire NHL...Leafs included. What a shameful league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
According to Wikipedia, it's the oldest existing professional sports franchise in North America. It was founded in 1873. Wikipedia isn't always correct though I've always considered them the oldest franchise in North America.

Yeah you're right, the Argos are the oldest franchise to retain their original name. The Cubs and Braves while technically "older" had different names/locations.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Sweet.

Preliminary overnight data from BBM Canada confirms that the 100th GREY CUP delivered an average audience of 5.5 million viewers on TSN, making it the most-watched CFL championship game ever recorded on English-language television.

Meanwhile, an average audience of 5.8 million watched the 100th GREY CUP on TSN and RDS, marking a 28 per cent increase in viewers compared to last year and earning an incredible national 16.1 rating. Audiences jumped even higher for younger viewers, with a 38 per cent increase among Adults 18-34.

Overall, more than 13 million Canadians – or more than one in three Canadians – tuned in to watch some or all of Sunday night's broadcast on TSN and RDS.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=410346

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Is it to hard to put on a suit when you go meet the friggin PM?

It turns out Harper came and met Bieber at the arena in Ottawa before his concert so he didn't actually go to meet Harper. That came out after the picture was taken.

oldfan2010

Jan 2, 2010
Muskoka
Just comparing uniforms. Justin in a suit is some young kid. Justin in swag is "Justin".
Do you want to meet "Superman" or "Clark Kent"?
Argo win was fantastic! Takes me back to Flutie, Rocket, Holoway, and Joe. Mcquay's fumble was not the nail, Abof's kick was.

Last edited:

RogerRoeper*

It was so much better for the CFL that Toronto won the East final over Montreal.

JA

Hahaha..was a pretty bad butchering of Oh Canada by Mr.Guess Who. Agreed.....The anthem should be sung the way it was written. No room for artistic licence. Personally I could do without anthems at sporting events unless they are international competitions like the World Cup, Olympics etc....

I wouldn't bring this up again if Burton wasn't receiving so much criticism online for his rendition of the anthem. The lyrics he sung were the original lyrics. He paid homage to the original anthem during the 100th Grey Cup; I've always liked this version more than the current one, as much like the current "The Maple Leaf Forever," I feel the revisions were never necessary.

Here is a version recorded by Edward Johnson in 1928. It includes the same "controversial" lyrics as Burton's version. Good on Burton to incorporate lyrics from the anthem the way it was written, including "O Canada, glorious and free," and the repetition of "we stand on guard."

It's disappointing to read people's comments saying he "butchered" it. He should be praised for singing it the way it should be sung. It becomes a more powerful and prideful anthem when one proclaims Canada to be glorious and free in its own right, a country that we protect. This is a country we have fought for throughout its history, and the original lyrics give our anthem a more militaristic, nationalistic meaning. Likewise, anyone who sings "The Maple Leaf Forever" should, in my opinion, begin with "In days of yore" rather than the CBC's revised lyrics.

We have a rich heritage, and ignoring the many revisions that have been made throughout the past few decades, the anthem becomes even more beautiful and pristine. In the late 2000s, some politicians wanted "in all thy sons command" to become "in all of us command." These continual revisions aren't necessary. The anthem was greatest in its original form and should be sung that way. Burton's version at least retains some of the glory of the original anthem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad