CFL: Official "Ottawa REDBLACKS" Thread Part IV: It's a Brand New Day edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
so nice being on the right end of a blowout!

Some things I noted:
- Nice to see Price get his first TD for Ottawa on a great run
- Ottawa found its running game, whoda thunk!
- The Green team has a sweet punter.
- Ottawa D made some big stops.
- i think there were atleast 3 timecount violations against that Green team, in large part due to the fans being so loud! The Ottawa bench really seems to feed off this from what I saw.
- Why was Burris kept in when it was a blowout? Why not give reps to the other guys?
- penalties were pretty evenly distributed, with ottawa getting 10 less yards overall (135 vs 125). This marks only 2 game this year where Ottawa was the least penalized team on the field (both times were wins for Ottawa).
- You can see the frustration in the green team's 'perfect' season thus far in the demeanour of their QB's on the field.
- I wish I had a Mike Duffy mask...anyone know where to get one?

Ttracer*

Work on punting, everyday

0-9, ouch... there is so many flags in todays game, CFL football is getting harder to watch

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The heavy downpour of flags is their effort to cut down on defensive holding/pass interference. Think of it like the NHL's crackdown on obstruction in 2005/06, where there was a parade to the penalty box until players got the message. CFL wants to increase scoring, and one way to do that is to actually make the defensive backs play it honest instead of getting away with holds and illegal contact all over the place.

They also tweaked the rules in order to encourage more big punt returns, but from what I have seen the opposite has happened - punt return yardage seems down. Maybe the rule change had the effect of forcing teams to focus more on their punt coverage...

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Man what a great game. For the most part, everyone played well. A few mistakes here and there, but they came up big when they needed to.

I bet that's the last time, Saskatchewan asks who the home team is. That place was LOUD during the Green Riders offense.

Good to see Ottawa fans coming out and showing we can own our house.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not surprised by this... Chevy was one of their best players early last year but became quite ineffective well before the injury put him out for the rest of the season. This year he was completely useless.

Since he's a veteran they had to release him now or they'd have to pay him for the rest of the season if he made it to labour day.

I don't see Johnson as a solution but they did sign another RB a few weeks ago (can't remember the name but I'm sure he's been working on the practice roster). I wonder if there are any Shakir Bells hiding anywhere.

Curious as to why you dont think Johnson is the answere. He was good last year and has been good so far this year, what I cant understand is why they didnt bring him back at the start of the season.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Curious as to why you dont think Johnson is the answere. He was good last year and has been good so far this year, what I cant understand is why they didnt bring him back at the start of the season.

Johnson was hurt in camp so they placed him on the 6 game injured list to start the season, he wasn't healthy enough to play until the Montreal game earlier this month. Yesterday was the first game all season that he finally didn't have to wear a knee brace, and boy, what a difference it made.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Johnson was hurt in camp so they placed him on the 6 game injured list to start the season, he wasn't healthy enough to play until the Montreal game earlier this month. Yesterday was the first game all season that he finally didn't have to wear a knee brace, and boy, what a difference it made.

Well that explains it! He is explosive and hits the hole with authority.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Awesome news we just beat out 3 teams and signed Lemon !!

Be honest - did anyone ever see the day in the CFL when Ottawa would be a more attractive free agent destination than BC? We are now, and you can credit OSEG ownership and management for it. In a very short period of time they have built a first class organization and a highly competitive team - it's truly impressive.

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

I watched him last season and when he has played this year and I just don't see the explosiveness or power that you need to be an every down back... Hopefully I'm wrong but even with the great performance last week I was still left wanting.

Awesome news we just beat out 3 teams and signed Lemon !!
Crazy isn't it... I don't know it would've happened had Whiteside not gotten injured but it's always good to have a premiere pass rusher on the defensive line.

Ttracer*

Beautiful stadium for Grey Cup, hopefully it doesn't snow this time

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Weather was decent for the '04 Grey Cup in Ottawa, IIRC. The game may also be in mid November as opposed to late November - some CFL clubs are making a push to start and end the season two weeks earlier, and it seems to be gaining some traction.

clements to gabriel

Aug 12, 2015
ottawa
If we can pull out a win in BC next weekend because of winning tiebreaker over Both Montreal and BC that would give us a 3 game cushion for playoff spot with 7 games to go Next weeks game is HUGE

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is a highly winnable game - BC is down to their backup QB, and an afternoon start helps alleviate the time zone issue that plagues Eastern clubs visiting BC. REDBLACKS are also coming off the bye, which means our guys should be fresh...

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Hoping for a big win today! Not only would they catch the Argos (making the head head to head game two weeks from now that much more important) but would give them some seperation from the Als. RB's have to avoid playing in that cross-over game.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
anyone have anygood streams for cfl games?

Using hockeystreams all last year i forget all the good stream sites lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad