OT: CF Montreal thread: Cement Feet, Can't Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Crazy the amount of balls that go through Davies. I feel maybe the coach should play him more central for the last 10 mins. Jonathan David's been a bit underwhelming this game.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
My man Miller had a brutal game. Kennedy looked good as his replacement.

Hutch and Eustaquio were meh. David too.

We should be at a point where we are beating Honduras pretty cleanly.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Okay, I'm gonna stick my neck out.

Worse case scenario: Canada finishes third.
If we stay healthy (no top player missing): We finish second. Mexico can be had.

Bro stop. We aren't gonna finish in the top 3, not with Herdman. I hope you watched tonight's game carefully and realized to not underestimate any concacaf side because 'our attack is better'. I knew we were doomed when we struggled vs Haiti, missing lots of players before their gk had a brain fart.

We drew against Honduras... at home.... without their best player available...

One thing for sure is those 13 games left will be a heck of a ride. Super entertaining and I'll be here for it. If we manage to get 1 point Sunday's game, it'll be a success. I think the US will finish first at the end

Now time for CLB and the evening is complete

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
And let's be honest if it weren't for Borjan's fingertips save on the Honduran forwards header, we would've lost.

To me Borjan is MoTM. His distribution was excellent.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Bro stop. We aren't gonna finish in the top 3, not with Herdman. I hope you watched tonight's game carefully and realized to not underestimate any concacaf side because 'our attack is better'. I knew we were doomed when we struggled vs Haiti, missing lots of players before their gk had a brain fart.

We drew against Honduras... at home.... without their best player available...

One thing for sure is those 13 games left will be a heck of a ride. Super entertaining and I'll be here for it. If we manage to get 1 point Sunday's game, it'll be a success. I think the US will finish first at the end

Now time for CLB and the evening is complete
You do realize there are another 13 games to go, right? Italy tied Bulgaria yesterday does that mean they won't make the WC? And by the way, I looked at the CONCACAF standings and we're in 3rd place. This team will get stronger as the qualifiers progress. Our top players are extremely young and had to face this obstacle to gain experience.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
You do realize there are another 13 games to go, right? Italy tied Bulgaria yesterday does that mean they won't make the WC? And by the way, I looked at the CONCACAF standings and we're in 3rd place. This team will get stronger as the qualifiers progress. Our top players are extremely young and had to face this obstacle to gain experience.

14 games is madness. In Europe they have 8, Africa 6, Asia 10

In south america they have 18, but I think this is their only stage heading in to the world cup.

we had another tourney heading into this group stage (6 games)

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Italy haven't lost in 31 games and are already top of their group tho. This isn't about drawing. Its about not being able to win at home against a team we are supposed to be better. Forget about winning away games in the mountains

I'm used to watch round robin in Comnebol - losing points at home equals you better win some away games in difficult conditions or you're out

In Canada's case their inexperience and the coach's lack of tactical knowledge will be Canada's downfall at the end. But solid experience for 2026

Reactions: Remparts666

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
They were eaten in the midfield at home against Honduras, so safe to say changes are required. Kaye for Hutchinson might be a place to start

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
They were eaten in the midfield at home against Honduras, so safe to say changes are required. Kaye for Hutchinson might be a place to start
I think you hit one of the problems. We were attacking Hondorus from the wings but Buchanan and Davies were double-teamed and couldn't make any head way. In the second half Herdman subbed out Buchanan for Hoilett and Canada began to use the middle of the field a little more. Even Laryea was attacking up the middle in the 2nd half.

I think Herdman misjudged the game by going with a 4-4-2. Two of those 4 midfielders were Davies and Buchanan on the wings, with Eustaquio and Hutch in the middle. He made the mistake of using Laryea as a full back overlapping Buchanan. That was redundant. Davies and Buchanan needed a 3rd midfielder so Honduras couldn't double team the wings.

Hopefully in the next game he provides his wingers/wing-backs with three midfielders instead of two

That was one problem from last night's game. Another is that our top players are extremely young.

And the third problem might not be so evident. Davies, Larin, David, Hutch, Eustaquio, Vitoria, Borjan all came from different time zones overseas. That's 7 of our starting 11 and some arrived on Sunday while the rest arrived on Monday. That's two or three days to adapt. I can remember Pierre McGuire (yes I know) talking about Team Canada at the Olympics and saying you need one day for every time zone difference to get your body acclimatized. Aside from our wing backs being double-teamed the team was disjointed. I think nerves and the time change were major factors.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
14 games is madness. In Europe they have 8, Africa 6, Asia 10

In south america they have 18, but I think this is their only stage heading in to the world cup.

we had another tourney heading into this group stage (6 games)

The more the merrier imo. They need to get reps together. This national team is still so young and haven't had the chance to develop real chemistry yet.

I would give Buchanan another chance and start Kaye / Kennedy over Hutch / Miller.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
The more the merrier imo. They need to get reps together. This national team is still so young and haven't had the chance to develop real chemistry yet.

I would give Buchanan another chance and start Kaye / Kennedy over Hutch / Miller.

Kennedy looks really slooooooow though. They will need to do some rotation against USA in one of the two games I guess?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Oh my god.

Phonzy, David and Tajon together.
I fell asleep about 3 minutes after that post
HRI7zad.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events