OT: CF Montréal: L'Ère de Courtoisie

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Not surprised. Sounds like there has been enough meddling from Joey and he's had enough. He probably had no issue with Choiniere's ask but Joey said no and that was the final straw.

Reactions: TRG

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not surprised. Sounds like there has been enough meddling from Joey and he's had enough. He probably had no issue with Choiniere's ask but Joey said no and that was the final straw.

I'm sure the fact Choinière asking for a trade is what caused the friction. We'll surely get more details, but my guess is OR was willing to acquiesce to the trade request, but Saputo/Gervais didn't want that to happen, particularly since Choinière is their best homegrown talent they've ever had. And Saputo/Gervais want to salvage that relationship.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't know why I follow this team. I fully regret buying tickets this season.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Saputo is making it very hard to keep rooting for the team.

I'm indebted to Saputo for bringing professional soccer to Montreal and eventually having them enter the MLS. But it really sucks when you have expansion teams coming in one after the other for years now with owners willing to spend money, particularly in player personnel.

They also invest in big stadiums, but I'm not too jealous of that because I actually enjoy the intimacy of Saputo Stadium. But working under Joey is probably how Dorion felt working under Eugene Melnyk. You're working at a disadvantage because of the internal budget.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Both have more to do with Saputo. Renard is on board with Choiniere’s demands. The budget is not flexible.

Renard is stuck with his mistakes. There’s no margin of error.
I don't even think for Choiniere it's a budget thing because of the amount of money coming off the books after this year. I just think he feels that Quebecois players should be grateful for having the opportunity to play at home and should therefore be on super cheap contracts.

There's probably a large element of "You have a club option so screw you I'm not renegotiating".

Reactions: SupRocket

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Like, I don't mind if we have an owner who isn't shelling out absurd amounts of money but f***, signing Choinière and operating at max salary cap is a minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad