GDT: Cesko vs Swiss

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
regarding the bad history against the hosts. last year they wanted to avoid being the party crasher knocking latvia out of the tournament and tried to rest some players. the consequences of this on the flow of the team could be seen in the QF against germany. I hope for a good performance but i could live with a defeat against the czech republic, the only thing that counts is qualifying for the QF. i'm sick of these almost perfect records in the preliminary round followed by losses when it counts
Yes, that is true. In 2004 the Czech team was perfect, 6-0 group record, played great, and then lost after penalty shootout in the QF against the US (after 2-2 in regulation, having been 2-0 up). It was sickening and rendered all performance up till then totally worthless.

Reactions: Summer Rose

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
Yes, that is true. In 2004 the Czech team was perfect, 6-0 group record, played great, and then lost after penalty shootout in the QF against the US (after 2-2 in regulation, having been 2-0 up). It was sickening and rendered all performance up till then totally worthless.

Yeah that is why I keep saying our teams needs to face adversity rather than flying in the groupe stage.

Austria did a great job to humble us, now hope this team learn from those hard fight.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
regarding the bad history against the hosts. last year they wanted to avoid being the party crasher knocking latvia out of the tournament and tried to rest some players. the consequences of this on the flow of the team could be seen in the QF against germany. I hope for a good performance but i could live with a defeat against the czech republic, the only thing that counts is qualifying for the QF. i'm sick of these almost perfect records in the preliminary round followed by losses when it counts
It's obviously better to win the game that matters, but I think avoiding a loaded Sweden team would help in that regard

Who can forget that legendary Andy Roach shooutout goal?

swissdude

May 18, 2019
It's obviously better to win the game that matters, but I think avoiding a loaded Sweden team would help in that regard
I agree but it's about time to beat sweden in game that matters so I don't know whether I perfer them in the GMG, you have to beat anyone if you want to go all the way ;)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Both teams are very careful not to make any mistake, it reminds me a bit of the Czech-Finland game.

I think the penalty was ok, stick going up between the legs is always called nowadays, although Cervenka obviously didn't mean to do that.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
What a terrible period lol, we had absolutely nothing. NHL players clearly making the difference here so far. Lucky Swiss, two years in a row they are playing at basically full strength, but what can you do.
yes it's pretty close to full strenght but I think Meier, Moser, Suter, Malgin, Hofmann to mention the obvous would make the team if available but even in a best-on-best there's hardly ever a team in full strenght there are always injuries etc.

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
It seems like the Swiss and the Slovaks are 100% in terms of best-on-best in this tournament. Really the best both countries have to offer.

We aren't, we miss guys like Malgin, Meier, Moser, Suter, Bichsel and having Fora and Jung on defence is not that great

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
the Swiss are clearly the better team so far - they are more aggressive and overall look more sharp than yesterday. also, they are probably playing with their best lineup, which is great to see.

as far as the Czechs are concerned, it hasn't been a catastrophic period, but I just realize how low my tolerance has become over the years for ineffective and slow dump & chase hockey :DD can't really blame them though at this point, you can only work with what you've got...

RKBoy

Feb 23, 2024
It seems like the Swiss and the Slovaks are 100% in terms of best-on-best in this tournament. Really the best both countries have to offer.
we miss players like Marinčin, Černák, Studenič, Čajkovský, Gernát, Jaroš, Krištof, Liška, Húska or Rybár..

some people could still make a case for Okuliar, Lantoši or Pánik.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
We aren't, we miss guys like Malgin, Meier, Moser, Suter, Bichsel and having Fora and Jung on defence is not that great
Still better then missing Pasta, Necas. Zacha, Hertl, Hronek. Chytil, Jiricek, Kulich etc. only Meier is missing there, those euro guys are really interchangable and not big of an obvious quality gap

Same goes for our guys from europe of course

But from NHL you have basically everything here, we have all our top guys locked in PO or injured

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
Still better then missing Pasta, Necas. Zacha, Hertl, Hronek. Chytil, Jiricek, Kulich etc. only Meier is missing there, those euro guys are really interchangable and not big of an obvious quality gap

But from NHL you have basically everything here, we have all our top guys locked in PO or injured

Only Malgin is an euro guy in my list (don't count Fora and Jung I was just complaining about Fischer choices lol)

swissdude

May 18, 2019

well Utah, New Jersey and Vancouver are Europe now, didn't get the Memo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad