Central Hockey League - The Slow Spin Down the Bowl Continues

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I don't think it was his decision to step down, I think with the league now being owned by the team owners he was forced out. Someone from one of the teams will step in as commissioner.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
I wonder with him now gone if they will try a merger with the ECHL and take the stronger teams with them?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
With a little more than a month remaining it won't be this season, but this move makes for an easier attempt to disolve the CHL with stronger teams going to the ECHL and weaker ones, folding going to juniors, or possibly for QC and St. Charles the SPHL

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
You'd think a city of that size could get a few thousand to show up at games, but with the OHL and now the CHL....

It's not that.

Most people thought the CHL's ridiculous footprint could not get any more ridiculous than it was..

Most people were wrong.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The CHL was effectively declared dead when Global was bought out. Lewis was part of the Global team and his resignation/dismissal was inevitable. The legal situation which prevented Allen and Rapid City from moving into the ECHL this season has assuredly been eliminated. I'll speculate that the new ownership agreement provides individual franchises with the right to change leagues and has provisions which absolve "surviving" teams from any legal claims of franchises which don't find a new home.

I'll take a stab at the future league affiliations of the 10 current CHL teams. I predict that this season will be the last for the CHL and that the surviving teams will find new homes for the 2014-15 season.

ECHL: Allen, Rapid City, Wichita and Missouri.

Rapid City and Allen already had agreements to leave. Now with no apparent legal hurdles, these two are in the "no brainer" category to move to the "E".

Wichita and Missouri had the first and second highest attendances in the CHL, so that would seem to indicate that the ECHL would be a logical move both economically and geographically.

ECHL or SPHL: Tulsa. Tulsa averaged over 4,000 per game and would fit geographically with the "new" ECHL teams. Would think that the pro game would continue in any case with the SPHL being option #2.

SPHL or junior: Quad City

QC Just doesn't seem to have the support needed for ECHL. The ownership has been so fluid that unless a stable group came forward, the I don't think that the ECHL would be a good fit. With Bloomington and Peoria in the SPHL, this league would seem to work well geographically and be viable with the recent attendance in QC. If not the SPHL, there seems to be enough interest in hockey in that area to warrant some kind of junior hockey.

SPHL or fold: St. Charles

St. Charles appeared to be stillborn but is going to take the ice. The UHL River Otters failed in this market, so I doubt that the team will generate the type of numbers the ECHL would like to see, but the arena needs a tenant and requisite SPHL attendance numbers are probably doable. If attendance is sparse, then one and done for St. C.

Fold or junior: Arizona.

Arizona has been announcing less than 3,000 per game for the last 4 years and makes no sense from an ECHL or SPHL geographical perspective. The air travel required in the ECHL wouldn't be viable for the Sundogs. Perhaps juniors could work, but I suspect geography is a killer for that as well.

Fold: Brampton and Denver

Brampton just appears to be a very poor idea. The OHL failed there and low level pro minor league hockey and Canada doesn't seem to be a good mixture. Unless the team discovers the formula that makes low minor league pro hockey work in Canada and surprises at the gate, then it's one and done with The Beast.

Denver drew less than an announced 3,000 per game last season and while it could fit geographically with the ECHL, I don't think that it will work economically. With the Avalanche and U Denver and probably other programs with which I'm not familiar, I don't see Denver as a viable minor league market. The ECHL Chicago Express/ UHL Chicago Hounds situation seem to be reasonable parallels. Big league cities with multiple established hockey options for fans seem doomed to failure for low minor league franchises. Done after the coming season.

Last edited:

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I'm going to try and catch a Brampton Beast game next month to see what it's like and I'll report back if I do. I was shocked to see brampton get a team because it makes no sense.

Without a doubt Jr hockey is more popular than anything below the NHL. The general opinion on minor league teams in the area is that ppl would rather watch juniors because there is a chance they'll make the NHL vs. minors where it's unlikely.

The city's population is now almost 50 percent immigrants, which I do not bring up for ethnic reasons but rather that hockey itself is a sport that would be new let alone Low level pro hockey. As well as finances are often tighter for new Canadians.
The arena is in a horrible location which in part of the reason the Battalion struggled to draw. Finally, I doubt most Bramptonians could find half the opponents cities on a map. One more pot shot... Have you seen their website? It entry level HTML.

Bramptons best shot at AA level hockey would've been in the ECHL as a Leafs-Marlies affiliate.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
I'm going to try and catch a Brampton Beast game next month to see what it's like and I'll report back if I do. I was shocked to see brampton get a team because it makes no sense.

Without a doubt Jr hockey is more popular than anything below the NHL. The general opinion on minor league teams in the area is that ppl would rather watch juniors because there is a chance they'll make the NHL vs. minors where it's unlikely.

The city's population is now almost 50 percent immigrants, which I do not bring up for ethnic reasons but rather that hockey itself is a sport that would be new let alone Low level pro hockey. As well as finances are often tighter for new Canadians.
The arena is in a horrible location which in part of the reason the Battalion struggled to draw. Finally, I doubt most Bramptonians could find half the opponents cities on a map. One more pot shot... Have you seen their website? It entry level HTML.

Bramptons best shot at AA level hockey would've been in the ECHL as a Leafs-Marlies affiliate.

New Beast website

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
I will be covering the St. Charles Chill this season for St. Louis Game Time and so far it seems like there is a lot of support from the fans. A lot of people have been waiting for hockey to return to St. Charles (myself included). The big test will be the teams first pre-season game against the Missouri Mavs. It's a free game. If the club doesn't get a "sell out" in that game, things could be rough for the club this season. But thus far, there has been a lot of support for the organizations return to the Family Arena.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
From what I've heard there were about 1,500 at the preseason game against the Mavs. The team reported about 2,500. Well short of the sellout you hoped for but a sellout is turly unrealistic. You're expecting fans to show up and pack the arena for a preseason game that means nothing?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm really surprised they put a CHL team in Brampton. The OHL couldn't survive in Brampton what makes them think that a third-tier minor pro league will? Not only but the travel costs for both the Beast and other teams going to Brampton. The closest team is Quad City....9 1/2 hours away 1,033 km.

The furthest is Arizona...3500+km or 32 hours. Do CHL teams fly? I'm sure Brampton will quickly become a 'most hated' road trip for teams just given the time spent on the bus.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I was at the Chill exhibition game with a friend, I would say for most of the game there was roughly 2,000 fans give or take 1-200. There were a lot of youth teams by where I was sitting, so hopefully those kids will want to come back with their families a few more times. They looked very good on the ice and they'll be competitive, I guess we'll have to see how they do off the ice... Attendance could be abysmal like some people predict or it could be ok.

SeaToby

Nov 25, 2008
I believe teams are flying to Brampton and Brampton will fly down for road trips, then take a bus.

With the visiting teams playing three game series alike baseball in Brampton, you are correct without any doubt. Sometimes when Brampton goes on the road they play two or three game series, a mix of a series and single games, and sometimes a string of single games. Teams have to play a series in Brampton just to get some value with their travel expenses flying there. One round trip flight won't be as expensive as busing there three or more times. Fuel expenses for a bus isn't cheap either.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
Just look at the attendance figures for their opening weekend...

http://chl.stats.pointstreak.com/attendance.html?leagueid=12&seasonid=11255

Denver is already below 2000. The league debuts of Brampton and Saint Charles are very weak in terms of turnout. Meanwhile, QC's home opening crowd was no larger than last season when their ownership went AWOL right before the season began. The Mallards were touting that they had doubled their STH base over the summer. That didn't materialize in the attendance numbers for their home opener.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well I'll say this about the Chill they are already outpacing the local minor league baseball team in O'Fallon

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Just look at the attendance figures for their opening weekend...

http://chl.stats.pointstreak.com/attendance.html?leagueid=12&seasonid=11255

Denver is already below 2000. The league debuts of Brampton and Saint Charles are very weak in terms of turnout. Meanwhile, QC's home opening crowd was no larger than last season when their ownership went AWOL right before the season began. The Mallards were touting that they had doubled their STH base over the summer. That didn't materialize in the attendance numbers for their home opener.

I'm sure a home debut will be the best turnout ever for the Beast, but it was way higher than the Battalion's avg the past 4 seasons which was around 2000 per game.

Regina Pat

Keep Kadri
May 16, 2010
The ODR
I 100% agree that minor pro hockey and Canada are not a god mix, WHL, OHL, the Q and Junior A like AJ, SJ and MJHL are too popular for it to flourish in Canada.

And, odd question, I noticed on the Brampton Beast site from above that the schedule is done almost like MLB, where 3 games are played between two teams over a short stretch in one city. Has it always been like this? I just think it's interesting, could be a cool way for the WHL to operate, it being the biggest travel league of the 3 Major Juniors in Canada.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
I 100% agree that minor pro hockey and Canada are not a god mix, WHL, OHL, the Q and Junior A like AJ, SJ and MJHL are too popular for it to flourish in Canada.

And, odd question, I noticed on the Brampton Beast site from above that the schedule is done almost like MLB, where 3 games are played between two teams over a short stretch in one city. Has it always been like this? I just think it's interesting, could be a cool way for the WHL to operate, it being the biggest travel league of the 3 Major Juniors in Canada.

That's pretty much the only option they have considering their "closest" opponent is 9 1/2 hours away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad