Center Depth & Center Prospect Pool

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Our C depth isn't very good at all. At the pro level it's awful, and in terms of prospects there's really nothing there. I'd like to see how Gaudette handles pro level competition before penciling him anywhere in the Canucks lineup.

If we are lucky enough to land a top 2 pick in this year's draft this will change. Horvat and either Patrick or Hischier will set this team up very nicely going forward. Successful teams have a great 1-2 punch down the middle, and this could be just that.

I do like Gaunce as a defensive C. Need to see more offense out of him but with better linemates that should come. Defensively he's been excellent in his role, and deserving of tougher matchups to see if that can continue. At worst he should be a good 4C for us for a while. At best I see him as a solid 3C.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I really hope we get Hischier. The guy looks like a stud... but at the rate it's going around the league, he's probably going to COL... lol...

@y2kcanucks... yeah I like Gaunce too. Too bad .. we may lose him to the ED. But it's not a huge loss.. we could easily replace him by signing Brad Richardson or equivalent.

Our only hope is that we draft a hidden gem C in the later rounds.. and hope he blossoms within 2 years. Given that our team doesn't like to tank...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yeah I really hope we get Hischier. The guy looks like a stud... but at the rate it's going around the league, he's probably going to COL... lol...

@y2kcanucks... yeah I like Gaunce too. Too bad .. we may lose him to the ED. But it's not a huge loss.. we could easily replace him by signing Brad Richardson or equivalent.

Our only hope is that we draft a hidden gem C in the later rounds.. and hope he blossoms within 2 years. Given that our team doesn't like to tank...

I would protect Gaunce over Sutter (or even Granlund) quite easily. I would protect Granlund over Sutter though just because Granlund doesn't have a NTC and he isn't making over $4M.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I would protect Gaunce over Sutter (or even Granlund) quite easily. I would protect Granlund over Sutter though just because Granlund doesn't have a NTC and he isn't making over $4M.

Can't see it happening under the current hockey operations management climate. Any chance we re-sign Brad Richardson?

And it's not a huge deal to me whether we lose Gaunce... I like Gaunce too but maybe to the eye test, he just seems so clumsy... and maybe VGK thinks the same way and opts not to pick him and pick Sbisa instead. Or maybe surprises us by selecting Boucher / Pedan..

tonydif

Apr 15, 2007
For those predicting Gaudette profiles as a top 2 Center, remember, hes more likely to be another Cole Cassels.

Remember the hype on Cassels? Good junior stats, great playoffs...sound familiar?

Cassels was a 3rd round pick, Gaudette a 5th.

Cassels had the great character, the pedigree.

Until we see Gaudettes skating with pros, and how his speed matches up against other pros, hes just another high scoring amateur.

Hope he makes it, but more than likely hes AHL depth

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Our C depth isn't very good at all. At the pro level it's awful, and in terms of prospects there's really nothing there. I'd like to see how Gaudette handles pro level competition before penciling him anywhere in the Canucks lineup.

If we are lucky enough to land a top 2 pick in this year's draft this will change. Horvat and either Patrick or Hischier will set this team up very nicely going forward. Successful teams have a great 1-2 punch down the middle, and this could be just that.

I do like Gaunce as a defensive C. Need to see more offense out of him but with better linemates that should come. Defensively he's been excellent in his role, and deserving of tougher matchups to see if that can continue. At worst he should be a good 4C for us for a while. At best I see him as a solid 3C.

Yeah agreed on Gaunce. He has the makings of a really good shut down centre for us. I'd protect him over Sutter at this point.

manroth19

May 20, 2015
Gaunce has shown improvement for sure but I think I'd be protecting sutter over gaunce and his whopping 0 goals this year.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
For those predicting Gaudette profiles as a top 2 Center, remember, hes more likely to be another Cole Cassels.

Remember the hype on Cassels? Good junior stats, great playoffs...sound familiar?

Until we see Gaudettes skating with pros, and how his speed matches up against other pros, hes just another high scoring amateur.

Cassels is a prime example into why you need depth at every position in your prospect pool. He was tracking incredibly well to be a significant contributor at the NHL level in his 2 years post draft...then the wheels came off for whatever reason you want to attribute it to. This trade deadline is a good start in building depth, but we still have some of the worst depth in the league among our prospect pool.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

And based on current news, we won't get our first look until at least the 2018-19 season since he's going back to school next season.

Thus, unless Jim signs some AHL vets for next season and LEAVES them in Utica or at least signs even MORE depth, the new forward prospects and Jake get to work with Valk, Zalewski, Cassels, and Hamilton. That's been a major problem in Utica for 2 seasons. No actual top 2 centers. They have had to make do with the likes of the aforementioned.

Next season Cassels will still be on his ELC. Valk is only on a AHL contract and could be signed by anyone after his "breakout" season. Hamilton will be on the second of his 2-yr contract. Z will be an RFA and has to be re-signed. Please don't tell me they also have Laplante and Carcone. That's just never going to happen at center.

It would also be possible to draft Europeans like Pettersen (he won't be available by the time the Canucks draft second), who can play in the AHL right away, but they would have to be very high level players at a young age to serve the purpose they are needed for. Perhaps there will be a couple available just before the season when teams cut down who just can't make the NHL due to size or skating or whatever, but are definitely quality AHL material who will be seeking another home or heading to Europe if no one scoops them up. These types can be that extra depth that's still in Utica when call-ups take others.

If the Comets are actually going to have some serious forward prospects, they must have centers to act as assets in developing their talents.

Last edited:

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
we're not getting patrick or heischer. its going to be villardi/petterson/mittelstadt

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
we're not getting patrick or heischer. its going to be villardi/petterson/mittelstadt

This is probably the best attitude to have.

Let's just assume that we get bumped 2 spots in the lottery right off the bat.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This is probably the best attitude to have.

Let's just assume that we get bumped 2 spots in the lottery right off the bat.

In which case Pettersen, who has been Dahlen's center, could come with him to Utica.

Mittelstadt is already committed to U of Minn. and Vilardi is 3 years from AHL eligibility. Agree you take the BPA, but only Pettersen can help now. That's how Buffalo and Toronto have dealt with the Nylanders and it's worked out well for them.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I always find these types of narratives misleading. Yes, you can never be sure if a prospect will pan out, but you still need to look for signs that could drastically hold them back before erring on the side of skepticism.

It was always a massive question-mark whether or not Cassel's poor skating could be overcome, although fans chose to be optimistic and ignore that (I don't think anyone denied it would be a major hurdle, though).

I think it's fair to even say something like that about Boeser, who it's entirely possible could end up too slow to do damage in the NHL and bust.

Personally, I haven't seen significant weaknesses in Gaudette's game to be concerned with yet. There may not be any guarantees that he'll make it, but I don't think it's truthful to suggest that his chances are equal to Cassels.

He's actually a relatively safe pick to at least make the NHL, given how well rounded his game is combined with his impressive totals.

Isn't there also some statistic that shows how rare it is for a player with a similar performance to bust outright?

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
NHL:
1/2) Henrik Sedin / Bo Horvat
3) Brandon Sutter
4) Brendan Gaunce
5) Michael Chaput

NHL (C/W) - Depth Options:
1) Markus Granlund
2) Jayson Megna

AHL & ECHL:
1) Cole Cassels?
2) Zack MacEwen

AHL & ECHL (C/W) - Depth Options:
1) Yan-Pavel Laplante?
2) Joseph Labate?

Prospects (unsigned):
1) Adam Gaudette (projected timeline to NHL: 1 to 2 years?)
2) Brett Mckenzie (projected timeline to NHL: 3 to 5 years or never?)
3) Rodrigo Abols (projected timeline to NHL: 3 to 5 years or never?)

Prospects (C/W) (unsigned):
1) Jonathan Dahlen (C/W) (projected timeline to NHL: 1 to 3 years?)
2) Dmitri Zhukenov (C/W) (projected timeline to NHL: 2 to 4 years?)

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
NHL:
1/2) Henrik Sedin / Bo Horvat
3) Brandon Sutter
4) Brendan Gaunce
5) Michael Chaput

NHL (C/W) - Depth Options:
1) Markus Granlund
2) Jayson Megna

AHL & ECHL:
1) Cole Cassels?
2) Zack McEwen

AHL & ECHL (C/W) - Depth Options:
1) Yan-Pavel Laplante?
2) Joseph Labate?

Prospects (unsigned):
1) Adam Gaudette (projected timeline to NHL: 1 to 2 years?)
2) Brett Mckenzie (projected timeline to NHL: 3 to 5 years or never?)
3) Rodrigo Abols (projected timeline to NHL: 3 to 5 years or never?)

Prospects (C/W) (unsigned):
1) Jonathan Dahlen (C/W) (projected timeline to NHL: 1 to 3 years?)
2) Dmitri Zhukenov (C/W) (projected timeline to NHL: 2 to 4 years?)

Do you and the others posting them on your list believe that the Canucks will actually be re-signing Chaput and Megna to Vancouver contracts to play in the NHL next season? There are better guys than that who will be available for similar money this summer.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Do you and the others posting them on your list believe that the Canucks will actually be re-signing Chaput and Megna to Vancouver contracts to play in the NHL next season? There are better guys than that who will be available for similar money this summer.

Oh no.. I'm just putting a list together of what we have currently. And in turn hope others update this list when things change.

RE: Chaput & Megna:
I'm okay with Chaput as a C4/AHL depth option.. Megna needs to go after this year.

Also, as some other poster had suggested... I wouldn't mind bringing Brad Richardson back as the C4 role (esp if Gaunce gets picked by VGK).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i would guess at least one of chaput and megna will be under contract before june to cover off the canucks' expansion draft forward exposure requirements. they could also do it by resigning gaunce, skille or boucher if boucher gets into 9 more games.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
i would guess at least one of chaput and megna will be under contract before june to cover off the canucks' expansion draft forward exposure requirements. they could also do it by resigning gaunce, skille or boucher if boucher gets into 9 more games.

All of Chaput Gaunce and Boucher are RFA players so they qualify. Only UFA players are exempt due to contract status.
Chaput probably accepts his QO as I doubt he gets a better offer. Gaunce I feel holds out for the 1 year 1 way to get a 1way QO the following year. Boucher may be a QO, but may get the Granlund treatment of a 2 year 900K per offer.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Centre depth is a serious concern on this team with the trade of McCann and Cassels basically out of the picture imo, the team is super weak down the middle prospect wise. Not to mention gaunce is probably gone with expansion

1. Horvat
2. 2017 1st
3. Gaudette
4. Gaunce

Sutter and Sedin are too old to even mention for me talking future. Dahlin and grandlund are wingers going forward imo, and I don't think that's a bad thing, better place for both of them and the team to succeed.

If we don't get a centre with our 1st pick we are in some sort of hurt in the near future

Sutter is 27 Sedin 36 you put them in same bracket? Horvat and Sutter are much closer in age.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Unless we have one of the two first picks this draft, I would rather the Canucks offer to exchange first round picks with Edmonton plus add a good prospect or roster player for RNH plus.

RNH is skilled enough to be a 1C on most NHL rosters, but on the Oilers he is playing behind two elite 1C's in McDavid & Draisaitl and so is redundant. The fact that RNH is a Burnaby boy would be an added plus for the Canucks where as the Oilers could use a LHD like Edler or Hutton.

The Canucks are likely to pick 3rd to 8th. The Oilers look like they will draft 17th to 22nd. There is a good chance Rasmussen will still be available around the 17th to 22nd pick.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Unless we have one of the two first picks this draft, I would rather the Canucks offer to exchange first round picks with Edmonton plus add a good prospect or roster player for RNH plus.

RNH is skilled enough to be a 1C on most NHL rosters, but on the Oilers he is playing behind two elite 1C's in McDavid & Draisaitl and so is redundant. The fact that RNH is a Burnaby boy would be an added plus for the Canucks where as the Oilers could use a LHD like Edler or Hutton.

The Canucks are likely to pick 3rd to 8th. The Oilers look like they will draft 17th to 22nd. There is a good chance Rasmussen will still be available around the 17th to 22nd pick.

I would rather swing for a C with draft picks than pick up RNH at the cost of Edler/Hutton. The value of Defencemen is at an all-time high.

Also, under cap conditions, RNH makes $6m per until 2021 so **** that..

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Canucks need a Center prospect that is as good or better than Horvat

Canucks need a Center prospect that is as good or better than Horvat:

In my opinion, Horvat will be Ryan Kesler in terms of his overall ability (i.e. an extremely good 2nd line center that wouldn't look out of place as a 1st line center on a non-elite team).

Having said that, the Canucks need another center that also fits the above description, or is a true bona-fide #1 center (lets assume that Henrik either retires after next season, or no longer fits the above description).

That's why it's my hope that we either draft a Nolan Patrick or Nico Hirschier, or trade for a guy like Reinhart (if it's realistic), Dubois (see Reinhart), or even a Ryan Johansen for the right price.

With Sutter, Gaudette, Gaunce, etc., combined with free agency, I think the Canucks will be fine in terms of their 3rd and 4th line centers. By the way, I still have hope for Cole Cassels.

Find a Center prospect/young guy either the equivalent or greater than Bo Horvat, and this team will be fine down the middle.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Oh no.. I'm just putting a list together of what we have currently. And in turn hope others update this list when things change.

RE: Chaput & Megna:
I'm okay with Chaput as a C4/AHL depth option.. Megna needs to go after this year.

Also, as some other poster had suggested... I wouldn't mind bringing Brad Richardson back as the C4 role (esp if Gaunce gets picked by VGK).

Why would Richardson come back to play 4C?

manroth19

May 20, 2015
Sutter is 27 Sedin 36 you put them in same bracket? Horvat and Sutter are much closer in age.

I said future. As in, when I think this team could actually be real contenders. Sedin will be gone and sutter will either be gone or past his prime

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

So downgrade quality draft picks for middle of the road top6 centre to maybe stay while giving a good prospect to a direct rival and pay more against the cap to do so while alleviating that rivals cap concerns when they have serious needs on the back end still?
Francesco is that you? #RebuildIsTaboo #CanucksOnlyRetool

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad