CCHL Midget Draft

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
V
Will be interesting to see if players choose CCHL2 over U18 or will they be persuaded to stay in the association and hope to get called up or move up part way through the season.....

The 2000s not ready for CCHL should stay u18 if team is coached well so they can learn more systems because I don't think playing with 21 yr olds in CCHL2 is any benefit. The real question is the 1999s who are not quite ready to make the jump to the CCHL, will the better 1999s be told to stay in u18 or play CCHL2? I like the concept where team has choice to place a player on one of three levels and put them in an environment that will help them develop but it needs to be done right. Also, if you have a 2000 and 1999 same skill level, who do you pick for CCHL team?

As for the draft itself, if you have ever attended a live draft you will notice every kid selected has a smile on his face no matter what round they were selected. It is a great experience for the kids and a fun event and isn't the game of hockey supposed to be played for the love of the game?

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
V

As for the draft itself, if you have ever attended a live draft you will notice every kid selected has a smile on his face no matter what round they were selected. It is a great experience for the kids and a fun event and isn't the game of hockey supposed to be played for the love of the game?

Of course the draft is fun and they are all smiling, who wouldn't love that? It's setting up the expectation that these kids will all go on to play at the higher levels that I take issue with. If every kid there gets drafted its not much of an accomplishment is it?

I've now seen those kids who were thrilled to get drafted, had their posts all over Twitter and Instagram (I'm too old for SnapChat, but likely there as well) and had their parents post all over Facebook have to go to multiple tryouts over multiple years and still not be playing elite hockey. It's not really fun to get drafted to play Junior or U18 AAA and end up in AA or Rep B....These families continue to spend money on camps and tryouts and extra training programs and have expectations that will never be met all for a few minutes of excitement on draft day.

I'm sure I sound cranky and I would never want to take a kids dream away but at what point is this just making money off the backs of teenagers and their parents with dreams of something unattainable?

Hockeydad67

May 3, 2014
Who cares what parents spend on their children and for how long. If the parents can afford it, why not enroll the kids into something they want to do so they can continue to develop. It's more than developing on ice skills.... Some will make lifelong friends. No different than buying a large double double at Tim's. If you enjoy it and can afford it.... What the hell... I buy one every day. Draft day is huge for hockey players and in order to be successful you have to be drafted. Once drafted you still need to bring yourself to the next level. For some it's easy and for some it's not. I don't think all kids and parents have expectations that once they are drafted, in whatever league, means they are going to the show but it definitely means that they have improved and have advanced. Money will always be spent, that's a given no matter if you're an elite player or an average player and that happens in every sport. Look at kids that are drafted in the chl but have decided to try for the ncaa route.... There's still nothing carved in stone that they will get the scholarship so in order to maintain that compete level you have to pay for it. Plain and simple. So if a kid gets selected in a bantam draft or a midget draft..... Kudos to them.... They deserve to smile. If they end up a notch below in AA or Rep B, well they just have to work harder. Adversity will only help them through life when they grow older.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Who cares what parents spend on their children and for how long. If the parents can afford it, why not enroll the kids into something they want to do so they can continue to develop. It's more than developing on ice skills.... Some will make lifelong friends. No different than buying a large double double at Tim's. If you enjoy it and can afford it.... What the hell... I buy one every day. Draft day is huge for hockey players and in order to be successful you have to be drafted. Once drafted you still need to bring yourself to the next level. For some it's easy and for some it's not. I don't think all kids and parents have expectations that once they are drafted, in whatever league, means they are going to the show but it definitely means that they have improved and have advanced. Money will always be spent, that's a given no matter if you're an elite player or an average player and that happens in every sport. Look at kids that are drafted in the chl but have decided to try for the ncaa route.... There's still nothing carved in stone that they will get the scholarship so in order to maintain that compete level you have to pay for it. Plain and simple. So if a kid gets selected in a bantam draft or a midget draft..... Kudos to them.... They deserve to smile. If they end up a notch below in AA or Rep B, well they just have to work harder. Adversity will only help them through life when they grow older.

Of course everyone can spend whatever they like on hockey or music or any other activity, I just think the Midget draft and to some degree the Bantam draft is disingenuous....the bottom line is that no matter how hard they work or how badly they want it most kids will not make it out of Jr B. Adversity and challenge is the reason both my kids play competitive level sports and I have no issue with that but I don't think we need to mess with 15 and 16 year olds to have them learn the lessons that sports can teach you.

Hockeydad67

May 3, 2014
But how is a draft messing with 15 and 16 year olds? It's apart of the process of advancement. The Q and the O draft minor midget players and the WHL drafts bantams, the USHL drafts both bantams and midget aged players so for the kids that are drafted in the later rounds of any of those leagues means they are being set false hopes or expectations? It's apart of the process.....

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
USHL Draft concluded today some teams drafted up to 34 players combined in Phase 1 and 2.

In both the USHL and QMJHL drafts you will often see players drafted 2 or 3 times.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
I guess now that my kids are older and I have seen the kids go through these years and they are now out the other side, I have a bit of sympathy for the kids and their parents who are now left explaining why they are not playing in whatever league they were drafted into....don't forget when your non hockey playing buddy or relative sees you got drafted and are standing in the arena with a jersey on they have no idea that it doesn't really mean that much in most cases.....

But hey, to each his own, I can definitely see both sides of the argument.

Hockeydad67

May 3, 2014
Being drafted into any league does give the player and parent a sense of accomplishment however the parents need to be wise of the bigger picture. Only a small percentage of players will advance to the next level whether it be AAA to JrA or CHL/NCAA to Pro and I think this is where both the players and the parents fail to realize that. For the elite, they normally advance to some sort of pro league but if you look at that elite group, the ones that get drafted into the nhl in the first round..... Well they even get sent back to the league they came from. Average age for an nhl rookie is usually around 22yrs old but parents want them there when they are 18.
I'm similar to you.... My kid got drafted in a chl league last year, I rushed out to spend $350 on a jersey and another $350 to have it framed. Now it's hanging on the wall and he will probably never play a game with them. Were we all smiles on draft day? Absolutely. Have we paid and sacrificed a lot to get him there? Absolutely. Would we change anything? Absolutely not...... He still has his grade 12 to do next year so can he reach the next level of major junior or ncaa? Who knows... But the key thing is having the realistic conversations about what it's gonna take to get there. Unfortunately, I hear to many conversations around the rinks from some deranged parent thinking their kid is the next great one when one look can tell you otherwise. This is where most parents fail.... Good conversation no skin in the game

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Being drafted into any league does give the player and parent a sense of accomplishment however the parents need to be wise of the bigger picture. Only a small percentage of players will advance to the next level whether it be AAA to JrA or CHL/NCAA to Pro and I think this is where both the players and the parents fail to realize that. For the elite, they normally advance to some sort of pro league but if you look at that elite group, the ones that get drafted into the nhl in the first round..... Well they even get sent back to the league they came from. Average age for an nhl rookie is usually around 22yrs old but parents want them there when they are 18.
I'm similar to you.... My kid got drafted in a chl league last year, I rushed out to spend $350 on a jersey and another $350 to have it framed. Now it's hanging on the wall and he will probably never play a game with them. Were we all smiles on draft day? Absolutely. Have we paid and sacrificed a lot to get him there? Absolutely. Would we change anything? Absolutely not...... He still has his grade 12 to do next year so can he reach the next level of major junior or ncaa? Who knows... But the key thing is having the realistic conversations about what it's gonna take to get there. Unfortunately, I hear to many conversations around the rinks from some deranged parent thinking their kid is the next great one when one look can tell you otherwise. This is where most parents fail.... Good conversation no skin in the game

My opinion is that you cannot solely base how far a player makes it in hockey to make it all worth it. Playing high level hockey teaches players respect towards other, teamwork, being accountable, time management, work ethic,etc.. All attributes that make them successful when they get a job.

I would rather spend money watching my kid play hockey then sitting on couch playing video games or watching movies. Also, kids will too much free time will eventually get into some kind of trouble.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
My opinion is that you cannot solely base how far a player makes it in hockey to make it all worth it. Playing high level hockey teaches players respect towards other, teamwork, being accountable, time management, work ethic,etc.. All attributes that make them successful when they get a job.

I would rather spend money watching my kid play hockey then sitting on couch playing video games or watching movies. Also, kids will too much free time will eventually get into some kind of trouble.

And if someone is on this board they likely already have or will have a kid go pretty far in hockey. That's not the big issue. What is, is when do you stop.

Are you still OK with your 21 year old not in school, no job, training hard and paying thousands a year chasing the dream, maybe only because he was one of 200 kids in his age group drafted by CCHL.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
And if someone is on this board they likely already have or will have a kid go pretty far in hockey. That's not the big issue. What is, is when do you stop.

Are you still OK with your 21 year old not in school, no job, training hard and paying thousands a year chasing the dream, maybe only because he was one of 200 kids in his age group drafted by CCHL.

That is a decision no one but the player and the family can answer. Everyone has different circumstances and thoughts on the issue.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
I've loved every minute of my kids sports "careers" and wouldn't trade any of it for anything, I strongly believe in all that sport has to give, good and bad, we've had many "character building seasons" and I think those are more valuable than the medals and trophies. I just think that in some cases, not all, the draft can set up kids (and unrealistic parents) for major disappointment. I think it is a manufactured acomplishment that I would have more respect for if it didn't include so many rounds ie. limit it to a more realistic number of picks.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
I've loved every minute of my kids sports "careers" and wouldn't trade any of it for anything, I strongly believe in all that sport has to give, good and bad, we've had many "character building seasons" and I think those are more valuable than the medals and trophies. I just think that in some cases, not all, the draft can set up kids (and unrealistic parents) for major disappointment. I think it is a manufactured acomplishment that I would have more respect for if it didn't include so many rounds ie. limit it to a more realistic number of picks.

Why are the player rights of 14/15 year year old kids being drafted to begin with? This is minor hockey, not Major Junior. CCHL types love to point out that 'everyone else' has no Minor Midget (ignoring the population issues with that in Ontario), so why is it ok that the CCHL not do what 'everyone else' does at the Tier 2 level and allow kids to play where they want.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
Why are the player rights of 14/15 year year old kids being drafted to begin with? This is minor hockey, not Major Junior. CCHL types love to point out that 'everyone else' has no Minor Midget (ignoring the population issues with that in Ontario), so why is it ok that the CCHL not do what 'everyone else' does at the Tier 2 level and allow kids to play where they want.

Actually the MHL, Quebec Jr AAA and NAHL all have drafts with players rights going to teams a lot further away from players homes, for the Jr A level.

I understand the whole freedom of movement argument and that you should be able to play where you want but it is not like that anywhere in HEO minor hockey. The other side is you could end up like in other leagues where players go to multiple team camps (6 or 7) paying multiple fees, or even worse there are other Jr A leagues where teams commit to 30-35 players then in August some are told they no longer have a spot. This does not happen much in CCHL.

Both systems have pluses and minuses.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
Actually the MHL, Quebec Jr AAA and NAHL all have drafts with players rights going to teams a lot further away from players homes, for the Jr A level.

I understand the whole freedom of movement argument and that you should be able to play where you want but it is not like that anywhere in HEO minor hockey. The other side is you could end up like in other leagues where players go to multiple team camps (6 or 7) paying multiple fees, or even worse there are other Jr A leagues where teams commit to 30-35 players then in August some are told they no longer have a spot. This does not happen much in CCHL.

Both systems have pluses and minuses.

You know we all expected you to run to the rescue, right? I'm a pretty level headed guy, well educated, but I can never understand why someone who 'is not attached' to the league feels that he needs to come on here and attempt to focus the conversation the 'right way'. Whats your motivation for that? I can tell you, most I talk to in the area who read this board truly believe your on the executive. Not sure if that's what your want, but that's what the rumours are.

Correct me if im wrong, but the MHL is is Jr A, as is the JR AAA league (basically). And the NAHL is American.

My point being, why are 14 year olds being drafted into midget. That doesn't happen. I struggle with the rights of 14 year olds taken away from them, that's me. If you want to draft into Jr A, do it after the minor midget year, 'most' (like 99.9 percent) of these kids aren't going pro, let them play with their friends and have fun.

And I'm not sure what midget program has multiple team camps?

Last edited:

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
You know we all expected you to run to the rescue, right? I'm a pretty level headed guy, well educated, but I can never understand why someone who 'is not attached' to the league feels that he needs to come on here and attempt to focus the conversation the 'right way'. Whats your motivation for that? I can tell you, most I talk to in the area who read this board truly believe your on the executive. Not sure if that's what your want, but that's what the rumours are.

Correct me if im wrong, but the MHL is is Jr A, as is the JR AAA league (basically). And the NAHL is American.

My point being, why are 14 year olds being drafted into midget. That doesn't happen. I struggle with the rights of 14 year olds taken away from them, that's me. If you want to draft into Jr A, do it after the minor midget year, 'most' (like 99.9 percent) of these kids aren't going pro, let them play with their friends and have fun.

And I'm not sure what midget program has multiple team camps?

I understand your point and I can see both sides, maybe you should read what I said. I did not support either in my post, just corrected what I perceived as inaccuracies in your statements.

The multiple camps was referring to kids trying out for Jr A in areas where they do not have drafts. Also, there are local AAA programs essentially have multiple camps, they have a Spring tryout, then a summer conditioning camp and finally an August tryout....all of which players pay for.

If you wanted to refer to midget then if you had of said why does HEO Minor allow players to be drafted as part of the Midget league then I would not have referred to other Jr A leagues. You said " CCHL not do what 'everyone else' does at the Tier 2 level and allow kids to play where they want." , well that was not true that the CCHL draft is an anomoly at Tier 2, which it is not. Other Tier 2 leagues in both Canada and USA have a draft.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
If you wanted to refer to midget then if you had of said why does HEO Minor allow players to be drafted as part of the Midget league then I would not have referred to other Jr A leagues. You said " CCHL not do what 'everyone else' does at the Tier 2 level and allow kids to play where they want." , well that was not true that the CCHL draft is an anomoly at Tier 2, which it is not. Other Tier 2 leagues in both Canada and USA have a draft.

You know very well that this is a CCHL program, they pushed for it, their staff are coaching, their staff are running the draft, CCHL teams are DRAFTING 14 year olds. Your simply playing with words and semantics, which plays into the 'CCHL defender' that everyone seems to think you are, both on and offline. There's no denying your 'inaccuracies' always seem to push to the CCHL narrative.

Please, just let us talk about this league without interjecting a personal bias, your not helping things.

Last edited:

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
So again, are there any other Midget leagues in Canada that draft 14 year olds? I can't think of a single one. As I mentioned in the previous post, if 'its what everyone else does' is one of the arguments for the elimination of Minor Midget, then why isn't that same rational used here?

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
You know very well that this is a CCHL program, they pushed for it, their staff are coaching, their staff are running the draft, CCHL teams are DRAFTING 14 year olds. Your simply playing with words and semantics, which plays into the 'CCHL defender' that everyone seems to think you are, both on and offline. There's no denying your 'inaccuracies' always seem to push to the CCHL narrative.

Please, just let us talk about this league without interjecting a personal bias, your not helping things.

Zero bias in my response, just responding to what you spoke of, it is not my fault you were not clear in your statements. In fact I said I could see the positives and negatives to both players being free agents and also being drafted. I never gave my opinion on which is better.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
Zero bias in my response, just responding to what you spoke of, it is not my fault you were not clear in your statements. In fact I said I could see the positives and negatives to both players being free agents and also being drafted. I never gave my opinion on which is better.

Semantics at best, you rode right in to defend, yet didn't (sorry, didn't want to perhaps?)comprehend the conversation at hand. We where talking about the Midget draft. The CCHL teams are the ones drafting the 14 year olds. Asking why they are drafting 14 year olds has nothing to do with the Tier2 draft, its about the CCHL (its their project, their draft, their league) allowing kids to play where they want and why CCHL needs to acquire the rights to basically every 14 year old playing AA/AAA in the region. Your smarter then that, your arguing to take heat away from the CCHL and onto the HEO, as you have 10/15 times now.

Regardless, you'll keep doing what you do.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
So again, are there any other Midget leagues in Canada that draft 14 year olds? I can't think of a single one. As I mentioned in the previous post, if 'its what everyone else does' is one of the arguments for the elimination of Minor Midget, then why isn't that same rational used here?

Let's open your question up further.

Do all Jr A leagues have a Bantam draft ?

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011

So what is your non-biased objective opinion of this service. I just came across it while googling which leagues have drafts...

http://juniorhockeybook.com/

BeenThere

Oct 24, 2015
Yesterday the CCHL commissioner tweeted about the USHL drafting CCHL players, tongue in cheek he was asking if the OHL, WHL and QMJHL could draft players across Major Junior leagues - which he knows they can't. I'm sure he felt that the USHL was poaching given they drafted 4 CCHL NCAA Div 1 commits, two of which are on the NHL central scouting list for the upcoming draft. Bottom line is CCHL players are free to pursue USHL opportunities and why not.....in the USHL they do not pay to play, don't pay billet fees, have their equipment provided and would play in arguably the best junior league while maintaining their NCAA eligibility.

The pay to play CCHL model now starts with the Major Bantam draft, elite level players will have others options (they've always had them), it will be interesting to see if this U18/CCHL2/CCHL model actually provides more opportunities for HEO players. Year one in terms of the OHL draft seems to be a wash, I'll be waiting to see how many U18 players crack a CCHL roster in the next two years of the pilot.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
Let's open your question up further.

Do all Jr A leagues have a Bantam draft ?

I can't think of one, you;d have to ask someone more knowledgeable then me.

Yesterday the CCHL commissioner tweeted about the USHL drafting CCHL players, tongue in cheek he was asking if the OHL, WHL and QMJHL could draft players across Major Junior leagues - which he knows they can't. I'm sure he felt that the USHL was poaching given they drafted 4 CCHL NCAA Div 1 commits, two of which are on the NHL central scouting list for the upcoming draft. Bottom line is CCHL players are free to pursue USHL opportunities and why not.....in the USHL they do not pay to play, don't pay billet fees, have their equipment provided and would play in arguably the best junior league while maintaining their NCAA eligibility.

Does he think he should hold the rights of players in perpetuity? They're kids and teenagers chasing a chance to play, not pieces of meat that can be cashed in for $$$$. This would go along with the other's who claim that the CCHL teams not to report to OHL camps no? A 'your 'our's and you belong to us and no one else' thought process.

Thats not fair to the kids.

Clarke74

May 7, 2015
In correct....Mhl and quebec jr in canada have draft....out west they have protect lists of 50 players...nahl in usa has draft....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad