CCHL 2014-2015 season

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
Not the players fault if the Owner/GM/Coach can't manage the team. Maybe now that the players are paying, they should decide who runs the team!

So when players were in minor hockey and paid to play did the players/parents pick the coach and determine the play-off structure???

coach1313

Nov 3, 2014
So when players were in minor hockey and paid to play did the players/parents pick the coach and determine the play-off structure???

Not the point. Minor hockey is 400$ a year... CCHL is $5K... Players pay that to get seen, no?

My comment was to highlight that some of these teams are poorly managed and the only way to get visibility for a player is to get to the playoffs and play teams that are well managed!

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Not the point. Minor hockey is 400$ a year... CCHL is $5K... Players pay that to get seen, no?

My comment was to highlight that some of these teams are poorly managed and the only way to get visibility for a player is to get to the playoffs and play teams that are well managed!

Minor hockey hasn't been $400 for a decade. And AAA is at least $5K and they get to make ZERO hockey related decisions.

Jeff077

Aug 2, 2005
Perth, Ontario

Not sure what minor hockey you are talking about but anything above Rep B ( and most including this are far more than $400 )

They get visibility by playing 62 games, having 2 different showcases over the course of the season where the vast majority of scouts from every level attend.

You think just because a 10th or 11th place team is in the playoffs scouts are going to flock to watch them??

coach1313

Nov 3, 2014
Not sure what minor hockey you are talking about but anything above Rep B ( and most including this are far more than $400 )

They get visibility by playing 62 games, having 2 different showcases over the course of the season where the vast majority of scouts from every level attend.

You think just because a 10th or 11th place team is in the playoffs scouts are going to flock to watch them??

The 400$ reference is just to tell whoever not to compare minor hockey with junior hockey. Junior hockey coaches & GMs are paid. This pay now comes from players. Teams should be better managed then some are! PERIOD!

2 showcases of 3 games total not enough!

Yup, a lot more scouts in the playoffs then all season long for teams 7 thru 10.

I say bring season down to 60 games. All teams make playoffs. 1-4 get bye. 5-12 play best of 5.

Last edited:

Big Bear

Oct 28, 2012
The 400$ reference is just to tell whoever not to compare minor hockey with junior hockey. Junior hockey coaches & GMs are paid. This pay now comes from players. Teams should be better managed then some are! PERIOD!

Yup, a lot more scouts in the playoffs then all season long for teams 7 thru 10.

I say bring season down to 60 games. All teams make playoffs. 1-4 get bye. 5-12 play best of 5.

Sorry I'm with Jeff on this. The scouts are only major Jr ones as there is restrictions on NCAA schools and that's why you hear most commitments during the year. As for the $400 that is just for registration but if you take into consideration time, hotels, gas and tourney's you are well into the 10k plus range and I didn't take into consideration skate sharp, sticks and any equipment what so ever.

CP Clarke

Jun 28, 2013

NCAA teams are in playoffs the same time as we are....scouting goes DOWN in playoffs...not up...they have there own teams to worry about.
Playoff format is a JOKE!!
Here is an idea....lets reward the players and teams who don't work hard by letting them make the playoffs...because you know in life when you don't work hard good things happen.... like.... work bonuses and job promotions...

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013
NCAA teams are in playoffs the same time as we are....scouting goes DOWN in playoffs...not up...they have there own teams to worry about.
Here is an idea....lets reward the players and teams who don't work hard by letting them make the playoffs...because you know in life when you don't work hard good things happen.... like.... work bonuses and job promotions...

Then why even have playoffs? Just play 70-74 games and give the title to the regular season winner.

coach1313

Nov 3, 2014

I have seen as many scouts in the playoffs as I've seen all season long (very few). The only time there are more is at the 2 showcases! That said, I have seen more at weekdays playoff games.

Are you saying that players in team 9-12 didn't work hard enough to make playoffs? I can tell you some of these teams work their ... off.

Bonuses (just as a playoff spot) relies mostly on good management decisions and hiring the right talent, not only on individual contributors work effort!

Work bonuses are given to ****** employees when the company performs

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Look, I think we can all agree that (nearly) every team works their tails off from the beginning of camp in August until the final whistle goes on their season, whether in early March or mid May.

The fact is, teams 9-12 don't deserve to play postseason hockey. What in god's name would the Kanata Lasers gain from a Best-of-5 (likely sweep) series loss against Hawkesbury?

These teams stink, they don't deserve post-season gates (not that city teams actually draw that anything more than mediocre crowds in Round 1, as evidenced by Nepean, OJS).

If you want to do a wildcard, stick with the 9 and 10 teams playing the 7 and 8 teams. But don't put these teams at an even greater disadvantage than they're already at talent-wise in the next round by scheduling them to play SEVEN IN NINE DAYS.

That was ridiculous on the part of the league, and if they want their wildcard 'winners' to have any chance in the second round against some of its best teams, the CCHL will have to tinker heavily with the format/scheduling.

This isn't house league. The validity of #9 and #10 playing postseason hockey is questionable already, the idea of having the two worst teams in the league playing in the spring is downright wrong.

Jeff077

Aug 2, 2005
Perth, Ontario
Look, I think we can all agree that (nearly) every team works their tails off from the beginning of camp in August until the final whistle goes on their season, whether in early March or mid May.

The fact is, teams 9-12 don't deserve to play postseason hockey. What in god's name would the Kanata Lasers gain from a Best-of-5 (likely sweep) series loss against Hawkesbury?

These teams stink, they don't deserve post-season gates (not that city teams actually draw that anything more than mediocre crowds in Round 1, as evidenced by Nepean, OJS).

If you want to do a wildcard, stick with the 9 and 10 teams playing the 7 and 8 teams. But don't put these teams at an even greater disadvantage than they're already at talent-wise in the next round by scheduling them to play SEVEN IN NINE DAYS.

That was ridiculous on the part of the league, and if they want their wildcard 'winners' to have any chance in the second round against some of its best teams, the CCHL will have to tinker heavily with the format/scheduling.

This isn't house league. The validity of #9 and #10 playing postseason hockey is questionable already, the idea of having the two worst teams in the league playing in the spring is downright wrong.

Very well said. I hope the league does the right thing and goes back to the top 8 teams in the playoffs and gets away from the teams that don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

It is voted on by the teams however, and last year it was 7-5 in favour of the play in format. Hopefully after watching what has gone on they will do the right thing and vote it out completely.

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
playoffs

Not likely to happen but wouldn't it be cool if teams 11 and 12 had to drop down to
JR B and the 2 teams in the Jr B final got promoted to CCHL?

sorta what the do in Europe.

Hell.....call the EOjhl....JR A tier 3

coach1313

Nov 3, 2014
Not likely to happen but wouldn't it be cool if teams 11 and 12 had to drop down to

How would that work? You're a really good jrA player but your team is bad. You end up playing jrB.

I still think the teams will vote to keep the same format.

If 8 teams had made the playoffs... CPvsGLO and OTTvsSF would both have been 4-0 series

So I don't think the issue is with teams 9&10 making the playoffs, it has to do with the gap between teams 1&2 vs 7-8-9-10

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013

It would work like it does in the World Juniors and in Europe. The worst two teams play a relegation round and the loser is relegated or dropped into the lower level and the winner stays put. Great idea.

coach1313

Nov 3, 2014
It would work like it does in the World Juniors and in Europe. The worst two teams play a relegation round and the loser is relegated or dropped into the lower level and the winner stays put. Great idea.

And so, a player of jrA caliber would end up playing jrB ??? Let's take a real example: Do you think Johnston (KAN) would like to play jrB next year at 18 ???

Come on!!!!

coach1313

Nov 3, 2014
It's all ridiculous....

Top 8 in, bottom 4 out, simple.

Time to move on to another topic!!

As I said, wouldn't have changed anything for Ottawa & CP so why not let Teams 7-8 enjoy a series that they can actually win?

10 of 12 and 8 of 12.... only difference is you let 4 teams enjoy a short series before they get POUNDED by 1&2.

Ask the players if they like it? They pay more than any fan out here! More than any owner now!

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Gloucester swept by OJS.

Mixture of injuries at the wrong time, some questionable coaching decisions, and a sheer lack of depth that doomed Gloucester.

Foget/Veronneau spent five of the last six minutes of last night's Game 4 loss on the ice. By the time Gloucester actually had any kind of offensive pressure with 90 seconds left, they'd already been out for three minutes and we're dead tired.

Spoke with OJS coach Dagenais post-game, and he highlighted his team's ability to roll all four lines as the key to the sweep. Have to say I agree with him.

Missing Kuffner hurt Gloucester, but they just weren't deep enough to threaten anybody.

They're also losing their entire core, so next year could be a ****show at the Earl.

On the other side, good for OJS, looking forward to their series with PEM. Not sure why everyone I know is heavily favouring PEM to win that, but I know that it's probably going 7.

Should be great!

I'll call a CP-OJS final.

Last edited:

mathew93

Dec 21, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
The schedules for both Semi-Final series have been released:

#1 Carleton Place Canadians vs. #4 Cornwall Colts
Game 1: Friday, March 27th in Carleton Place

Game 2: Sunday, March 29th in Cornwall

Game 3: Wednesday, April 1st in Carleton Place

Game 4: Thursday, April 2nd in Cornwall