CCHL 2014-2015 season

ECS Scout

Jul 28, 2010
East Coast
I'm pretty sure he meant USHL....

No, he did mean USPHL...The USHL does not charge 10k a player, but the USPHL does....I would think the CCHL could get more of these players to migrate North in regards to cost, travel......

Three Camps this weekend, (Gloucester, CPC, Grads) anyone going??

CP Clarke

Jun 28, 2013
This is a very inaccurate statement. The USHL by far has the most NCAA commitments

VERY accurate....over 75% of the scholarships in USHL players have received in other leagues before playing in the USHL. Like Midget, USPHL, CCHL, NAHL, EHL, BCHL,AJHL...they poach players who have committed....

Don't let numbers fool you.....

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
This is a very inaccurate statement. The USHL by far has the most NCAA commitments

They may have the most players committed to the NCAA however most of those scholarships were obtained before joining the league.

You also have to be careful when analyzing leagues since a commitment is not the same as a scholarships. There are players who go to the NCAA and play with little or no scholarship whatsoever.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
VERY accurate....over 75% of the scholarships in USHL players have received in other leagues before playing in the USHL. Like Midget, USPHL, CCHL, NAHL, EHL, BCHL,AJHL...they poach players who have committed....

Don't let numbers fool you.....

Can you provide data or a resource for this?

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
I think he meant USPHL and is mistaken. I say that because the USHL teams do NOT own lower level clubs, while the USPHL teams do. The USPHL league is way below the level of competition in the CCHL or the USHL/NAHL. And the NAHL is laiden with too many teams, travelling at extreme distances, with disparate talent levels. Tell me one U.S. NCAA college Division 1 team located in Texas? Or in ANY of the adjoining states. Who do you think actually travels to scout hockey games on the U.S. -Mexican border? On the other hand, who scouts CCHL games? Come see in September.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
They may have the most players committed to the NCAA however most of those scholarships were obtained before joining the league.

You also have to be careful when analyzing leagues since a commitment is not the same as a scholarships. There are players who go to the NCAA and play with little or no scholarship whatsoever.

"most" were obtained before joining the league? Where are you getting that? That's simply not the case. Watch the commitments progress as the season advances. Some certainly are placed in the league through their college connections, but not "most". I do agree however that analysis is not always clear, in that, for example, "commitments" to Ivy League schools like Yale,Dartmouth, Harvard, Brown, etc. are deceiving. Ivy league schools have NO-ZERO " athletic scholarships". You can get money IF your family qualifies income-wise to receive aid. Otherwise, you "commit" , get admitted, and pay the full bill.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I think he meant USPHL and is mistaken. I say that because the USHL teams do NOT own lower level clubs, while the USPHL teams do. The USPHL league is way below the level of competition in the CCHL or the USHL/NAHL. And the NAHL is laiden with too many teams, travelling at extreme distances, with disparate talent levels. Tell me one U.S. NCAA college Division 1 team located in Texas? Or in ANY of the adjoining states. Who do you think actually travels to scout hockey games on the U.S. -Mexican border? On the other hand, who scouts CCHL games? Come see in September.

Wrong. The top 3-4 teams in the USPHL Premier division would beat any team in the CCHL pretty handily. Take a look at the Jr Bruins, Islanders, Jersey Hitmen rosters. Those teams have anywhere from 8-12 Division 1 commitments. And your going to tell me the level of play is lower? And you can't say there are bad teams because even the 2 worst teams had 5 d1 commits. But what do I know, you canadians are always right, no?

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
Wrong. The top 3-4 teams in the USPHL Premier division would beat any team in the CCHL pretty handily. Take a look at the Jr Bruins, Islanders, Jersey Hitmen rosters. Those teams have anywhere from 8-12 Division 1 commitments. And your going to tell me the level of play is lower? And you can't say there are bad teams because even the 2 worst teams had 5 d1 commits. But what do I know, you canadians are always right, no?

Everyone can have their own opinion, I have watched the top teams in USPHL and after the top 7 or 8 players the talent level falls off dramatically, professional scouts will also tell you the talent level is not the same, the top teams would be 6 thru 12 in CCHL. A commitment is not necessarily the same as a scholarship or it is a 1/3 or 50% scholly. The USPHL is watered down and is going to continue to get worse as they add more programs over the next few years.

forthefunofit

Jun 9, 2014

Quality of a league is measured by its depth. The USPHL does not have it, not sure if it ever will with all the teams it keeps adding. The CCHL has depth from team #1 thru team #12. Cannot measure the strength of a league solely on college commits. Many committs are a stockpiling of players strategy where some players will never see the ice. Plus, for every 1 committ I can show 2-3 players who are just as deserving.

League strength should be based on exposure, travel, coaching, depth, etc... The USPHL does have an advantage of being close to many East Coast schools. The top 3team/programs are indeed very good, but the dropoff is very significant after that. I have spoken with many scouts who would echo the same thing.

In my opinion, I would have a player in the CCHL or USPHL over the NAHL. In the NAHL, as someone has mentioned, the travel schedule is brutal for most teams. Exposure is minimal if you subtract out the Blaine and Prospects showcase. Good players can really get "lost" in the NAHL.

hurricane11

Oct 12, 2012
CCHL is a great league but you cannot say that the depth is solid 1-12 i would say 1-9 and then you have Kanata, Cumberland and Glouceter.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
CCHL is a great league but you cannot say that the depth is solid 1-12 i would say 1-9 and then you have Kanata, Cumberland and Glouceter.

Compared to many other leagues, including those mentioned above, I have no problem saying there is lots of depth 1-12. The bottom part of CCHL would destroy bottom teams in NAHL and USPHL.

hockeyfreak579

Jun 13, 2014

Say what you want about those three bottom-end teams but look at the number of players on each team in the last 5 years that have gone on to play NCAA hockey, let alone CIS.

Also, Cumberland had been a dominate team in 2008' and 2009' under Grady, made playoffs in 10'. Sure the wheels feel apart in the last 3 seasons but I am confidant that they can achieve under their new coach. They also have a tone of players returning so I see them as a playoff team for sure.

Gloucester has also had decent success not too long ago finishing 4th in the league in 2011, eventually beating CP to get to the semi-final the year PLK won the RBC.

Kanata has had some competitive years as well.

The fluctuation from year to year is huge in this league so I do believe that the overall depth of the league from 1-12 is amazing. To think that the all mighty CPC lost 2 games this past season to the last place Hawks...That's an indicator of depth if you ask me.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Compared to many other leagues, including those mentioned above, I have no problem saying there is lots of depth 1-12. The bottom part of CCHL would destroy bottom teams in NAHL and USPHL.

Doubt it. But everyone has their own opinion. Different styles of play between USPHL CCHL and NAHL. I think the 3 are comparable, but in MY opinion I believe CCHL is the weakest and least exposed of the 3. You can argue that nobody will go to Amarillo, Texas to scout. But their 10 d1 commitments say otherwise. Say all you want about how commitments don't dictate the competitiveness of the league. But that is what attracts the player, along with crowds that make a Pembroke home game look like an atom tournament championship game. The NA is also the epitome of junior hockey, its known for its long "roadies with the boys" and partys. Throw on top the fact that there is no fee to pay...You tell me what the 16-20 year old kid is going to choose...

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
Say what you want about those three bottom-end teams but look at the number of players on each team in the last 5 years that have gone on to play NCAA hockey, let alone CIS.

Also, Cumberland had been a dominate team in 2008' and 2009' under Grady, made playoffs in 10'. Sure the wheels feel apart in the last 3 seasons but I am confidant that they can achieve under their new coach. They also have a tone of players returning so I see them as a playoff team for sure.

Gloucester has also had decent success not too long ago finishing 4th in the league in 2011, eventually beating CP to get to the semi-final the year PLK won the RBC.

Kanata has had some competitive years as well.

The fluctuation from year to year is huge in this league so I do believe that the overall depth of the league from 1-12 is amazing. To think that the all mighty CPC lost 2 games this past season to the last place Hawks...That's an indicator of depth if you ask me.

Not to mention all the players in the CCHL that move on to Major Junior. The NCAA is not the only route to follow in Canada.

forthefunofit

Jun 9, 2014
Doubt it. But everyone has their own opinion. Different styles of play between USPHL CCHL and NAHL. I think the 3 are comparable, but in MY opinion I believe CCHL is the weakest and least exposed of the 3. You can argue that nobody will go to Amarillo, Texas to scout. But their 10 d1 commitments say otherwise. Say all you want about how commitments don't dictate the competitiveness of the league. But that is what attracts the player, along with crowds that make a Pembroke home game look like an atom tournament championship game. The NA is also the epitome of junior hockey, its known for its long "roadies with the boys" and partys. Throw on top the fact that there is no fee to pay...You tell me what the 16-20 year old kid is going to choose...

If you would rather play in front of 1500 fans and no scouts instead of 10+ college scouts and a few hundred fans each game, then I guess our objectives are different. Also throw in "roadies with the boys" and I guess our objectives are really different. Finally, the NAHL is not free. Still have billet fee and the majority of clubs do not supply adequate equipment. I know this to be fact. Gonna cost you money.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
If you would rather play in front of 1500 fans and no scouts instead of 10+ college scouts and a few hundred fans each game, then I guess our objectives are different. Also throw in "roadies with the boys" and I guess our objectives are really different. Finally, the NAHL is not free. Still have billet fee and the majority of clubs do not supply adequate equipment. I know this to be fact. Gonna cost you money.

http://nahl.com/player-advancement/college/ ...Looks like there has got to be at least a couple scouts in the stands no? That list wipes the floor with any list the CCHL could put out (which I failed to find). But to each his own. The equipment is fine, they are league sponsored by Easton as of 2013, including helmets, gloves, sticks and reduced price on Easton skates. I could sit here and feed you facts all day and you would still disagree with me because in your eyes HOCKEY IN AMERICA SUCKS, GO CANADA :shakehead

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013
http://nahl.com/player-advancement/college/ ...Looks like there has got to be at least a couple scouts in the stands no? That list wipes the floor with any list the CCHL could put out (which I failed to find). But to each his own. The equipment is fine, they are league sponsored by Easton as of 2013, including helmets, gloves, sticks and reduced price on Easton skates. I could sit here and feed you facts all day and you would still disagree with me because in your eyes HOCKEY IN AMERICA SUCKS, GO CANADA :shakehead

NCAA commitments is not the only way to measure success. A lot of Canadian kids also go Major Jr. They also choose CIS since less expensive to them and is a good education , than Div 3 and even Div1 if they do not get full scholly. I have seen NAHL and USPHL and the depth is not there. It has nothing to do with USA vs Canada.

Last edited:

forthefunofit

Jun 9, 2014

By the way, I am American. Your NA facts about equipment is so wrong. Buddy kid plays for a NAHL North team, does not own a piece of Easton equipment. Team supplied him with prior sponsor equipment or what every was left over in the storage closet. He is not alone with this situation. League does a great job of marketing and promoting but I say, buyer beware. Plus no scouts at games, most are viewed during the Prospect game and Blaine showcase.

Keep drinking the kool-aide. Done with this topic !!!

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa

Wouldn't be too sure about that. Kanata has John Hill at the helm now, which should help them a lot. Gloucester's a team that theoretically should challenge for a top 5 position next season, lots of young talent plus Veronneau leading the way and some good recent signings.

Only wild card for the future is Cumberland, and I'd throw Hawkesbury in there as well.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Also, you are going to pay billet fee wherever you play away from home. Be it the USHL, BCHL, NAHL, CCHL. We can agree to disagree, every league has its pros and cons. I just personally believe the point of junior hockey is to move onto the next level. When kids see the #'s of kids going d1 from NA it is an attraction. Not a knock at all towards the CCHL because I am aware of the level of play and the pride they have in the depth of the league.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Also, you are going to pay billet fee wherever you play away from home. Be it the USHL, BCHL, NAHL, CCHL. We can agree to disagree, every league has its pros and cons. I just personally believe the point of junior hockey is to move onto the next level. When kids see the #'s of kids going d1 from NA it is an attraction. Not a knock at all towards the CCHL because I am aware of the level of play and the pride they have in the depth of the league.

I don't know about the other leagues but you are wrong about the USHL. Players do not pay a billet fee. USHL teams pay billets a sum of money every month, not the players family's

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Who are the new goalies in Coming in on the transaction list. How's that going to work in Pembroke?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Matt is one tough player and he is just coming into his own. He will be one of the top D in the league this upcoming season. He is also a great kid and a loyal teammate. OJS is lucky to have him. A big loss for the Colts.

He will be at the Quebec Remparts camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad