Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/WPG] P-L Dubois and '22 3rd for P. Laine (26% retained) and J. Roslovic [PART II] (MOD WARNING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Let's be realistic here. I hate torts with a passion and think he should be gone but Laine will get every opportunity to look good. It's either that or he's gone (torts). If it doesn't work out and Jarmo doesn't fire torts, he'll get canned for sure.

At this point Columbus has to win with Laine or big changes are coming. But honestly I don't see them making any noise with that lineup. They badly need a quality center and for Atkinson to get back to the player he was a few years ago

Reactions: Raithe

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Roslovic was born and raised in Columbus.

Dubois' father, Eric, is an assist coach with the Manitoba Moose.

Nice landing spots for those two players.

Maybe Laine and his new GM can talk turkey in Finnish and come up with a new deal.

Huge loss for the Jets, but you have to give to get, and if PLD can repeat his playoff performance against the Leafs they will be fine.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Columbus totally hosed Winnipeg. That said, I don't see either Laine or Dubois staying where they are for more than year of two, if that.

Dubois is two years away from going where he wants (likely Montreal, imo) and he gets away from Torts. I can't imagine a flaky player like Laine doing well with Torts long term so Jarmo will score flipping him at some point to a team willing to overpay like Winnipeg did for Dubois.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Very good deal for Columbus.
It will be tough to replace Dubois In the middle but you can’t turn down a deal like that for a guy that has no interest in sticking around.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Getting a 22 year old promising center man is a win if his head is on straight. Jets really didn't want to extend Laine to a big contract with his only offense game. If Dubois turns out to be good as promised, then Jets will have the best center play in the NHL.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I get you. I just think it’s a big Win for CBJ and for Dubois and a Loss for WPG and Laine

So pretty much both teams really would have just been better off keeping their original players and doing whatever it took to make it work.

Jarmo made a massive mistake playing hardball with Dubois on his contract.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Winnipeg did better then people will say. Their 1-2-3 punch down the middle is going to be hard to line up against.

I agree, Jets got better and Jackets got worse with this trade. Jets now have one of the better Center groups in the NHL and the Jackets have the worst in the NHL. That is a pretty important position. Wing comes in last as far as importance of building a team and is far behind the positions of Center, Defense, and Goalie. Most Cup winners are good at those positions. Pens won Cups with wingers Kunitz and a mid 30's Guerin on the top line and Fedotenko and Talbot on the 2nd line in 2009 Cup Champs. In 2016 Pens won the Cup with Sheary and mid 30's Kunitz on the top line and Hornqvist and a rookie Rust on the second line. Both those teams had maybe the worst top 2 lines at wing in the playoffs. The opposite would never happen with a team having the worst Center group and winning a Cup.

So while I agree that Jets gave up more they got better and Jackets got worse. I also don't see Laine working out with Torts long term. Jackets need to make another deal to make this deal work out for them.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I agree, Jets got better and Jackets got worse with this trade. Jets now have one of the better Center groups in the NHL and the Jackets have the worst in the NHL. That is a pretty important position. Wing comes in last as far as importance of building a team and is far behind the positions of Center, Defense, and Goalie. Most Cup winners are good at those positions. Pens won Cups with wingers Kunitz and a mid 30's Guerin on the top line and Fedotenko and Talbot on the 2nd line in 2009 Cup Champs. In 2016 Pens won the Cup with Sheary and mid 30's Kunitz on the top line and Hornqvist and a rookie Rust on the second line. Both those teams had maybe the worst top 2 lines in the playoffs. The opposite would never happen with a team having the worst Center group and winning a Cup.

So while I agree that Jets gave up more they got better and Jackets got worse. I also don't see Laine working out with Torts long term. Jackets need to make another deal to make this deal work out for them.

Exactly. CBJ having the worst centers in the league is going to be exposed even more when they return back to the Metro and take a look at their schedule and see a blitz of Hughes, Zibanejad, Barzal, Crosby, Malkin, Aho, Backstrom, Kuznetsov and Couturier.... Jarmo does know he will be back in that division next year right?? Because ATM it seems like he is just making moves by the seat of his pants with no long term planning.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Getting a 22 year old promising center man is a win if his head is on straight. Jets really didn't want to extend Laine to a big contract with his only offense game. If Dubois turns out to be good as promised, then Jets will have the best center play in the NHL.
Laine has been only offense two years ago. Get your facts to 2021. Or even 2020 first.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
This is exactly what I thought would happen, at least as far as the players who were exchanged. I feel good about myself.

Reactions: DFF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad