Value of: CBJ UFAS + Goaltenders

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Picks, prospects, and futures would be preferred. Particularly center and defense prospects.

It’s not absolutely necessary to trade one of the goalies now but it is a position of strength and likely one will be moved within the next year.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Safe to say you can put a fork in CBJ for the 2021 season. How would you value the following players and how likely is it that you feel they’re moved?

Nick Foligno *c* (Rumored interest from Avalanche, Islanders, and Leafs)

David Savaard (#1 on TSN trade board)

Joonas Korprisalo OR Elvis Merzlikins
(With the other being signed to CBJ long term)

Riley Nash

Boone Jenner (UFA after 2022 season)

Feel free to add any other player you feel is likely to be moved that I may have missed.

Did Nash leave the last game with an injury?

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Kerfoot is not of interest for a number of reasons:
1) He's not top-6 capable, so that doesn't solve any problems here
2) We have no desire to downgrade further at C
3) His contract extends an extra year into that period where we'll be trying to retain Jones, Werenski, Laine, one of the goaltenders, and a few others
4) We're just way too f***ing tired of seeing his name over and over and over and over and over and

So no. :)

May I copy this for potential future cut-and-paste use in the event I'm the first CBJ loyalist to encounter any of the 1000+ Kerfoot posts were going to see between now and TDL?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
In particular, blueline prospects are of reduced value because our blueline is still largely set.

Actually the CBJ could use a couple of defensive prospects (one on each side). Peake should be in the NHL full-time next year. After that there is nothing in the pipeline for defense. A recently drafted (2020 or 2019) guy who is in college or Europe who is developing well but maybe 2 or 3 years away from being serious NHL player would be of interest.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Actually the CBJ could use a couple of defensive prospects (one on each side). Peake should be in the NHL full-time next year. After that there is nothing in the pipeline for defense. A recently drafted (2020 or 2019) guy who is in college or Europe who is developing well but maybe 2 or 3 years away from being serious NHL player would be of interest.
I'm less concerned about the pipeline because the blueliners we do have are largely 1) young and 2) not going anywhere anytime soon. So I imagine that can be handled with late picks over the next year or three rather than being pursued right now when we have bigger, more glaring priorities.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Alex Turcotte + Kale Clague + 2nd (2021) + 2nd (2023)

for

Werenski
I'll give ya this, it's got a player we would target. But if we are giving up Werenski or Jones; we better be getting a proven #1 C in return...even if CBJ needs to add pieces to get one.

Reactions: Fro

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I'm less concerned about the pipeline because the blueliners we do have are largely 1) young and 2) not going anywhere anytime soon. So I imagine that can be handled with late picks over the next year or three rather than being pursued right now when we have bigger, more glaring priorities.

The franchise has done very well finding late round draft picks and undrafted types who become solid defensemen - Nuti, Gavrikov, Kukan - but it is dangerous to assume that will continue. Also dangerous to assume we are in good shape because we have 2 really good defensemen plus Gavrikov. The defense has been atrocious at times this year. All the recent top draft picks have been forwards. The last first or 2nd round defensemen taken was Peeke in 2016. You always need solid guys in the pipeline, and other than Peeke, there isn’t a whole lot to be excited about.

Also, teams rumored looking at Foligno have better D depth than forward depth, so they would be more likely to give up a good D prospect.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm guessing Columbus wants to keep Korpisalo

Elvis could likely be had if the return is what they need

picks are fine, what they really need is a package deal for a legit 2C

I don't think they can put a package together for a legit 1C......2C may be a realistic return

Reactions: thebus88

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Just having fun.

Foligno(twice retained) + Jenner + Korpisalo

For
1st + Amirov + Andersen (cap; owed minimal $) + Engvall or Mikhayev

*pick to additional team to retain some of Foligno

*think we'd still need to shed Kerfoot cap somewhere else

Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Jenner - Engvall/Mikhayev
Simmonds - Spezza - Robertson

Rielly - Brodie
Muzz - Holl
Dermott - Bogosian

Campbell
Korpi

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Just having fun.

Foligno(twice retained) + Jenner + Korpisalo

For
1st + Amirov + Andersen (cap; owed minimal $) + Engvall or Mikhayev

*pick to additional team to retain some of Foligno

*think we'd still need to shed Kerfoot cap somewhere else

Foligno - Matthews - Marner
Galchenyuk - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Jenner - Engvall/Mikhayev
Simmonds - Spezza - Robertson

Rielly - Brodie
Muzz - Holl
Dermott - Bogosian

Campbell
Korpi

That is just absolutely terrible. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
(regarding Foligno + Elvis for RNH, Caleb Jones and Koskinen):

lol, Columbus gets absolutely fleeced.
I think this is a fair deal as long as RNH is willing to agree to terms on his next contract ahead of time). You have to not just look at what a team is getting but also what a team is losing.

CBJ get: potentially a #1 Centre. RNH will be the #1 C on the UFA market this off season so the CBJ should be bidding for him anyway...if they can get past the bidding war and just lock him up now its worth it. They also get a backup goalie who can handle more than a backup load (though could be lost in the expansion draft)

Oilers gets: a legit NHL goalie who might be a star plus a loaner forward who does a little bit of everything and is a big help for the playoffs.

CBJ lose: a potential star goalie but they already have another starter on the roster plus a guy in Cleveland who many think has more upside than Elvis and Korpi and could be the starter within three years anyway and a forward they might re-sign in the off-season after trading him away.

Oilers lose: a C/F they are struggling to sign anyway (likely because he wants the chance to prove he's a top line C, a throw away d-man and a goalie they no longer need because Elvis will be in the house.

In the end, neither team is giving up something they can't afford to lose and both teams are getting something they really need. Its a win-win trade...which means it will likely not happen.

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
That would up to CBJ and RNH.
The deal would be for a pending UFA RNH and pending UFA Foligno.

It would be a test drive for both GMs.
That's silly. Then its no-deal. If there is no assurance RNH is signing with the CBJ then we might as well let him hit UFA at the end of the season and make our best offer then. Save Elvis for another trade.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
That's silly. Then its no-deal. If there is no assurance RNH is signing with the CBJ then we might as well let him hit UFA at the end of the season and make our best offer then. Save Elvis for another trade.
It really depends on what CBJ value more. Test driving and potentially extending RNH + Koskinen or adding 2 x 2nd round picks.

Elvis would fetch you a 2nd
Foligno would likely fetch a 2nd + prospect like Jones

Do it quick enough and if RNH doesn't seem like a fit you can flip him at the deadline for something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad