Confirmed with Link: CBJ sign Thurkauf to ELC

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I feel like we are getting some interesting prospects in rounds 3-7 lately. Good on the scouts.

Since 2008

Calvert - 5th
Atkinson - 6th
Savard - 4th
Prout - 6th
Reilly - 4th
Sedlak - 6th
Forsberg - 7th
Korpisalo - 3rd
Anderson - 4th
Zaar - 6th
Bjorkstrand - 3rd
Merzlikins - 3rd
Kolesar - 3rd
Nutivarra - 7th
Abramov - 3rd
Thurkauf - 7th

Not too shabby.

Last edited:

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I feel like we are getting some interesting prospects in rounds 3-7 lately. Good on the scouts.

Since 2008

Calvert - 5th
Atkinson - 6th
Savard - 4th
Prout - 6th
Reilly - 4th
Sedlak - 6th
Forsberg - 7th
Korpisalo - 3rd
Anderson - 4th
Zaar - 6th
Bjorkstrand - 3rd
Merzlikins - 3rd
Kolesar - 3rd
Nutivarra - 7th
Abramov - 3rd
Thurkauf - 7th

Not too shabby.
Gavrikov too!

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I'm thinking Ruopp might be next. He's the only CHLer the Jackets have the rights to who is still unsigned now that Thurkauf and Abramov are signed.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
CBJ getting some interesting prospects !

(you have presently Kukan playing in AHL .... waiting to see him in NHL, he'll be a good one. Merlikins is a good one too)

This + present results

Congrats

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
I don't really know the background of this guy, can't tell if he "deserves" it, but just from an outside view, this sounds like a good story.

Not a hyped up prospect, gets picked in the 7th round, captains the Swiss WJC team and to end the year, signs his ELC. Appears to be a guy who keeps working and now can collect the first fruits for it. Sounds like a good way to end the year to me! :handclap:

Somehow, witnessing the development of a prospect that was on no one's radar is more satisfying than to follow a highly touted prospect who then goes on to not be quite as good as he was hyped to be in the NHL. Even though the highly touted prospect might still be the better player all in all.

section 204

Jun 26, 2008

Since 2008

Calvert - 5th
Atkinson - 6th
Savard - 4th
Prout - 6th
Reilly - 4th
Sedlak - 6th
Forsberg - 7th
Korpisalo - 3rd
Anderson - 4th
Zaar - 6th
Bjorkstrand - 3rd
Merzlikins - 3rd
Kolesar - 3rd
Nutivarra - 7th
Abramov - 3rd
Thurkauf - 7th

Not too shabby.

I realize that the top half of this list was the previous regime, but a list like this is what we were sold when Jarmo was hired. Quality scouting and drafting. If this really is the case, we have to be excited about potentially plugging gaps at the NHL level year after year. Bodes well for the on-ice product and for cap management.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Gavrikov too!

You are my favorite poster now because I didn't have to be even more bias biggest fan boy of Gavrikov and mention him in every thread haha. I honestly wish he was on our team playing 6D for us. Murray and him could play Savard/JMFJ caliber shut down if they were paired together.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I realize that the top half of this list was the previous regime, but a list like this is what we were sold when Jarmo was hired. Quality scouting and drafting. If this really is the case, we have to be excited about potentially plugging gaps at the NHL level year after year. Bodes well for the on-ice product and for cap management.

While decision makers have changed and have in some cases brought in different people, a few of the scouts are still here.

section 204

Jun 26, 2008
While decision makers have changed and have in some cases brought in different people, a few of the scouts are still here.

I guess the thing that interests me is that the top half is almost entirely from NA, and the bottom half almost all EU. We can debate where better late round value might be found, but it's just really striking when you see it as one list.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
CBJ getting some interesting prospects !

(you have presently Kukan playing in AHL .... waiting to see him in NHL, he'll be a good one. Merlikins is a good one too)

This + present results

Congrats

I'm glad to hear someone else with that assessment. I think Kukan can be a really solid 3rd pairing defender in the NHL.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I guess the thing that interests me is that the top half is almost entirely from NA, and the bottom half almost all EU. We can debate where better late round value might be found, but it's just really striking when you see it as one list.

I'd be interested in what league they were drafted out of. It looks like most were drafted out of leagues in North America.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Its not really a clean story, or at least it doesn't line up with FO regime. 4 of the 10 Howson picks on the list are EU born, 3 were drafted out of Europe. 5 of the 6 Jarmo picks are Euro born but only 2 of the listed group were actually drafted out of Europe. So it's still mostly CHL scouting.

In terms of the more successful Euro leaguers, it's just goalies, plus Zaar, plus the 2015 overagers (Nuti + Gavi). There's 3 other euro leaguers who might come over later (Carlsson, Vainio, Stenlund).

Last edited:

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
What you definitely see out of Jarmo's picks is a willingness to pick overagers, and in the case of Nutivaara, it's paid off in a big way. Remember how the reaction to that pick was eye-rolling and "we drafted a 21-year-old, what is Jarmo thinking"? Can't be any doubters left, can there? Like, even if you aren't as high on him as one particular poster, getting a solid bottom-pair D with a seventh-round pick is pretty decent. And then there's Gavrikov and Thurkauf, who haven't amounted to anything at NHL level yet, but certainly look like they have a good shot to do so.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm glad to hear someone else with that assessment. I think Kukan can be a really solid 3rd pairing defender in the NHL.

I was pretty impressed with Kukan in the several game sample we got to see him last year. I think he does have a future with the team and he probably would get some time this year as a call up if they weren't holding Prout and Harrington on the bench because of their need to go through waivers.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The guy is good but he just did his third cheap penalty of his international career. Dude is dirty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad