Confirmed with Link: CBJ sign Bittner to 3 yr ELC

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It's a sliding rule ELC, what's not to get? He's a 2nd rounder it was only a matter of time.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I can't get behind the "I don't get the signing" comments ... you are all entitled to your opinion, but as someone who's watched Bittner play for three years, I'll try to sway you ;). I loved the pick and I love that the team has signed him to an ELC this early on. Perhaps it will sway many of the Mike Reilly "Sky is Falling" discussions away from Paul Bittner for the next year and a half ...

Fact is, Bittner is a big kid that is a very good skater, has a great shot, and plays hard in all three zones. He can score in a variety of ways and was as big a part of the top line in Portland as Bjorkstrand and Petan were ... he's just a year younger than both. At the very least, his size, work ethic, and all-around abilities are going to allow him to be a third line player in the NHL.

I have no issue with the signing -- let's not forget that Bittner is already heading into his 19 year old season this year. This would be no different than drafting a kid at 18 and sending him back to junior for a year before signing him. Bittner has three years of CHL hockey under his belt. By now, anyone who gets paid to be a scout should know everything there is to know about him ... you don't need to see him play without star players for that. If his numbers drop without Petan and Bjorkstrand, that's fine ... it doesn't change the fact that the kid can play hockey.

only part I don't fully agree with is the "very good skater" part. I hope he becomes a very good skater though

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
only part I don't fully agree with is the "very good skater" part. I hope he becomes a very good skater though

For a guy his size, he's an exceptional skater. Don't get him confused with someone like Ryan Murray or Cam Atkinson ... but he's a better skater than he gets credit for.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I've heard upside is Boone Jenner-esque and downside is Josh Anderson and that he's a very safe projection to have some sort of NHL career whether it be as a top-6 powerforward or a bottom-6 grinder.

Is this a fair assessment? Are people expecting him to have a breakout with a greater role in the absence of guys like Bjorkstrand and Petan in Portland, or a downturn?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I've heard upside is Boone Jenner-esque and downside is Josh Anderson and that he's a very safe projection to have some sort of NHL career whether it be as a top-6 powerforward or a bottom-6 grinder.

Is this a fair assessment? Are people expecting him to have a breakout with a greater role in the absence of guys like Bjorkstrand and Petan in Portland, or a downturn?

His scoring rate isn't much different with bjork and petan. That should be taken both ways: he is resilient, but his production was mostly flat despite playing with the best scorers in the whl.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

It's not like he's going to be playing with complete Muppets in Portland this year ... they will still have some solid talent around him. He's a safe bet to play on a line with Detroit third rounder Dominic Turgeon, who is a very talented kid in his own right. My guess is that Bittner scores a few more goals - say, in the range of 40-45, and ends up around the same point total (70-75) this year.

As for upside, I think he has more talent than he's given credit for and I will point back to my own draft ranking that had him in the top-20 this year ... in a very deep draft. He plays a game not unlike Chris Kreider or Max Pacioretty ... I think he could be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL, but at the very least he should become a third line player.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
It's not like he's going to be playing with complete Muppets in Portland this year ... they will still have some solid talent around him. He's a safe bet to play on a line with Detroit third rounder Dominic Turgeon, who is a very talented kid in his own right. My guess is that Bittner scores a few more goals - say, in the range of 40-45, and ends up around the same point total (70-75) this year.

As for upside, I think he has more talent than he's given credit for and I will point back to my own draft ranking that had him in the top-20 this year ... in a very deep draft. He plays a game not unlike Chris Kreider or Max Pacioretty ... I think he could be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL, but at the very least he should become a third line player.

You aren't the only one, every projection that I saw had him mid - first round - he didn't slide like an Esposito, there were just a lot of good players in this draft. I think Bittner is going to be very good & if he develops a mean streak he could be a helluva power forward for the CBJ

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
You aren't the only one, every projection that I saw had him mid - first round - he didn't slide like an Esposito, there were just a lot of good players in this draft. I think Bittner is going to be very good & if he develops a mean streak he could be a helluva power forward for the CBJ

I'd be willing to bet that in three or four years when we are looking back, we hear a lot of "he was second on our list" from other teams ...

The awesome thing is, I don't think he needs to develop a mean streak to be effective. He can play a game built on talent ... but if he does, then you are right ... he could be a very good piece.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'd be willing to bet that in three or four years when we are looking back, we hear a lot of "he was second on our list" from other teams ...

The awesome thing is, I don't think he needs to develop a mean streak to be effective. He can play a game built on talent ... but if he does, then you are right ... he could be a very good piece.

He's already a big guy. Is he going to "bulk up" like what we usually see when guys enter the pros? If so how will that effect his game?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
He's already a big guy. Is he going to "bulk up" like what we usually see when guys enter the pros? If so how will that effect his game?

He could put on 15-20 pounds and still gives the impression that he won't be too bulky to maintain his speed. People have to look past him being a Todd Bertuzzi type player; he's a better skater and more talented than just being a net-front guy ... I wouldn't expect him to be pushed higher than 220-225.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He could put on 15-20 pounds and still gives the impression that he won't be too bulky to maintain his speed. People have to look past him being a Todd Bertuzzi type player; he's a better skater and more talented than just being a net-front guy ... I wouldn't expect him to be pushed higher than 220-225.

I'm not sure where that comes from. Is it just because scouting reports always focus on his size?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Things seem to be kind of slow around here now. But in a month, there will be lots of new stuff to chat about.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm not sold on Bittner yet. That being said I don't think the contract is a bad thing, he still knows he has to prove himself if he wants to have a career. There's no doubt Petan and Bjorkstrand helped with those numbers. However that doesn't mean he won't be able to reproduce those numbers this season, but he's going to have to be one of the main cogs on the offense.

I'm really excited to go see him play this season.

I remember the same thing being said about Bjorkstrand. He has proven that he is really good. I expect Bittner will do the same (just not as good offensively).

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I remember the same thing being said about Bjorkstrand. He has proven that he is really good. I expect Bittner will do the same (just not as good offensively).

I think it's possible that he does the same thing, however I'm not getting my hopes up or expecting the same thing from Bittner. He'll probably have a good season, but I don't think it'll be near as dominating or eye opening as Bjorkstrands past season. I do think however there's gonna be a few teams who regret not taking him in the first round though.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'm not sure where that comes from. Is it just because scouting reports always focus on his size?

Basically, yes. The focus with big players like Bittner seems to be that they have to be bullish and strong. Really, he's not that type of player ... he does have a physical element to his game, but it's not really similar to Boone Jenner or Todd Bertuzzi.

Maybe the best comparison is Mark Stone from Ottawa ... he doesn't go out of his way to forecheck and throw big hits; more of a goal scorer that can protect the puck well and has a physical element when he needs to. Bittner is a better skater than Stone, but I think he has similar potential.

You guys will see him in camp pretty soon and get a good, up close look... I think everyone will be excited when they see how good he is all-around. He really plays the game like a smaller player, it's hard to describe.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Basically, yes. The focus with big players like Bittner seems to be that they have to be bullish and strong. Really, he's not that type of player ... he does have a physical element to his game, but it's not really similar to Boone Jenner or Todd Bertuzzi.

Maybe the best comparison is Mark Stone from Ottawa ... he doesn't go out of his way to forecheck and throw big hits; more of a goal scorer that can protect the puck well and has a physical element when he needs to. Bittner is a better skater than Stone, but I think he has similar potential.

You guys will see him in camp pretty soon and get a good, up close look... I think everyone will be excited when they see how good he is all-around. He really plays the game like a smaller player, it's hard to describe.
yes pls :nod:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I'm still hoping he can be like Boone Jenner and surprise, however does anyone else worry of how his injuries may have hurt his development. Is he going to be a Monster next year?

Dk Math

Jun 12, 2016
I'm not sold on Bittner yet. That being said I don't think the contract is a bad thing, he still knows he has to prove himself if he wants to have a career. There's no doubt Petan and Bjorkstrand helped with those numbers. However that doesn't mean he won't be able to reproduce those numbers this season, but he's going to have to be one of the main cogs on the offense.

I'm really excited to go see him play this season.

Completely agree.

I can't get behind the "I don't get the signing" comments ... you are all entitled to your opinion, but as someone who's watched Bittner play for three years, I'll try to sway you ;). I loved the pick and I love that the team has signed him to an ELC this early on. Perhaps it will sway many of the Mike Reilly "Sky is Falling" discussions away from Paul Bittner for the next year and a half ...

Fact is, Bittner is a big kid that is a very good skater, has a great shot, and plays hard in all three zones. He can score in a variety of ways and was as big a part of the top line in Portland as Bjorkstrand and Petan were ... he's just a year younger than both. At the very least, his size, work ethic, and all-around abilities are going to allow him to be a third line player in the NHL.

I have no issue with the signing -- let's not forget that Bittner is already heading into his 19 year old season this year. This would be no different than drafting a kid at 18 and sending him back to junior for a year before signing him. Bittner has three years of CHL hockey under his belt. By now, anyone who gets paid to be a scout should know everything there is to know about him ... you don't need to see him play without star players for that. If his numbers drop without Petan and Bjorkstrand, that's fine ... it doesn't change the fact that the kid can play hockey.

The question is if he was as big a part of that line as Bjorkstrand and Petan?
Well if you followed them the last year of Bjorkstand/Petan rain. Then Bjorkstand produced quite well with Chase De Leo as well, which he played with in that first per of mouths of their last season with the Winterharks.
That time really hurt both Bittner and Petan stats that year.
And Bittners stat was not impressive on other lines, when that was tried. And they did actually try a lot, to get two producing lines going. However it is not to be expected, that Bittner produce without Bjorkstrand and Petan. Because the Winterharks had two lighting stars in Bjorkstrand and Petans.
Or could they/we, because Bjorkstrand did produce with Chase De Leo, when they were paired (and he were older ofcause).
And what with the time then Petan and Bittner play together without Bjorkstrand? And that also happen?
In the end, Wintherhark had one producing line, the one with Bjorkstrand. The Best combo with him was Bittner, Petan and Bjorkstrand, that was the way they played most of the time.
That was also Winterharks weakness, especially in playoff, because could you stop Bjorkstrand, some what (Which was very difficult), then you had the upper hand on the Winterharks.

Seen from that point of view, who benefits from who on the 2014 winterhark first line. They all did, but where Bjorkstrand was better than Petan, was that he actually produced fine with Chase De Leo, at the time he was put on that line. Where Petan was struggling, even with Bittner, without Bjorkstand.
That a historian/statistic fact.
However that trio was the best option for all of them.

:yo: The could thing, we have 2 part of that trio, which worked very good together. And there is a chance that a trio of Bittner, XXX(Wennberg) and Bjorkstrand, will work quite well in the future for CBJ (If so be it).
At lest Wennberg and Bjorkstrand seems to translate well to NHL.
Even everybody would like Wennberg to score more goals.
Wennberg is a better player than Petan, to my point of view.

What we should put in our mind, is that the best chance to score goals in NHL is a good, fast and precise passed, to be ended with quick releases to make the goals.
For the good, fast and precise passed you are depending on others of your team. :amazed: That is why it is called team work.

Notes here: :thumbu:
Where I think Bjorkstrand showed special skills in Monster playoff. It was his ability to get a fine shot out of a bad flying puck, that most would had miss or partly miss.

I'm still hoping he can be like Boone Jenner and surprise, however does anyone else worry of how his injuries may have hurt his development. Is he going to be a Monster next year?

:cheers: He was with the Monster at the end of the season, and he played one game in playoff. (Not with Bjorkstrand)

injuries is always a concern and it does not speed up anybodies development. :boredom:
That could also be said with Bjorkstands injury this season.
(My guess is that Bjorkstrand was injured in camp and played hurt for some time! It was at lest another Bjorkstrand we got, when he was back from injury).

However Bittner didn't do much at his time with the Monster, which could be reason to some concern. He at lest seem to need some time in AHL for development, before he would be ready for NHL.

:teach2: Big size in junior, should also be a concern when it come to translate to NHL. Do you have the skills to play with guy as big as or even bigger than yourself? :teach2:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
:cheers: He was with the Monster at the end of the season, and he played one game in playoff. (Not with Bjorkstrand)

Interesting info Dk. I didn't know that about Bjorkstrand cf. Petan. But this little bolded factoid is incorrect.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Seems to be struggling this year too. Can someone talk about his game in specific, I really thought he would be a sleeper who could be a good middle 6 player. Can someone who watches him elaborate on his game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad