Proposal: CBJ-SEA draft day trade

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Columbus is not trading first round picks to move up a few spots in a crapshoot draft

If this was the 2023 draft and Seattle had #1 or #2, then we have a deal

/thread
No one would trade Michkov or Bedard for that shitty haul tho.

Go ask Oilers Fand of they'd trade McDavid for a 7th, 29th and 30th pick.

Do you know anything about hockey?

Reactions: dpospish

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Been watching this thread for a bit. Lots of good points here. If I can counter argue for a second? On behalf of Seattle?

That offer brings in 3 quality cost controlled players for a beginning franchise. Sure this isn’t expected to be the best draft. But imagine your teams duo or trio or Quadra in one single draft. That came out better than expected due to familiarity.

I’ll take Anaheim for instance. They found two franchise players in Getzlaf and Perry who likely will be in the Hall. All in the same draft class. If I was Seattle? I would accept that trade. Not only for the value of everyone rolling the dice because it’s Covid season, and not many of these players have been fully scouted. But also having chemistry in the same draft class and playing with or against each other.

This is a acceptable trade in my opinion. I wouldn’t be surprised if Seattle snagged NCAA players with all 3 picks on how the mocks are looking

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006

Probably a lot more about valuations than you.

Amazed you came out from under your bridge so quickly after your embarrassment wrt Mantha.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Probably a lot more about valuations than you.

Amazed you came out from under your bridge so quickly after your embarrassment wrt Mantha.
My embarrassment? How many people are actuallt thinkibg it was Mantha's value? Go look in the topic buddy.

It took a late 1st to get out of Panik's deal, and Vrana who'll be a ufa + a 2nd for Mantha.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
I think in a normal year it’s be interesting! But just given what the top of the draft looks like, and the uncertainty of the level of scouting that has been performed, you’re probably better with more picks than higher picks.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021

Wow your words are offensive. To assume those players will ever reach those heights is a assumption. You’re talking about hall of famers right now. I have never read any mock draft even putting them in the same category.

And you attack that user for free thinking on a trade idea?

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
My embarrassment? How many people are actuallt thinkibg it was Mantha's value? Go look in the topic buddy.

It took a late 1st to get out of Panik's deal, and Vrana who'll be a ufa + a 2nd for Mantha.
Vrana is a RFA...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Columbus is not trading first round picks to move up a few spots in a crapshoot draft

/thread

Seattle wouldn't be trading if they had somehow been bad enough and get luck enough to get first or 2nd overall in 2023 draft.

Reactions: WidgitRibbit

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Columbus has a lot of nice pieces in place and simply a rough year. There are a lot of changes coming and I don't see them using that type of draft capital to move up a couple of spots. They are likely to have a top 7 pick (looking more like top 5 at this rate) and there are other players of value that would be good pieces to have. They need a 1C and Beniers would be a nice add but Eklund looks like he has high potential as does Johnson. Those would be great pieces to have to continue to add to the roster. The 1C likely comes via trade using the lower picks, prospects and/or roster players.

In such an odd year for evaluation, I'm thinking CBJ wants more picks, not necessarily pick position.

Reactions: Viqsi

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

/thread
This. After the top 5-6 players it’s a crapshoot where guys are going to end up. I don’t think Johnson stays at center. I think he becomes a NHL winger. Beniers might be the best center and top out as a good second liner. I’m curious to see where the myriad of scouts rate these guys TBH it could be all over the place. If I’m CBJ I want more kicks at the can. Not less. The only thing I know for sure is Power is going 1OA and Wallstedt is going to be a very above average starting goalie for the team that drafts him.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Nah it's like Vrana(RFA) + 1st for Mantha and the 2nd is for taking Panik considering he's still a serviceable player and has roughly the same total salary cost as Marc Staal who Wings also got a 2nd to take on.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`m kinda torn here. I bet it is about how good you think your organisation is at drafting. I think JK would keep his 3 picks, beeing a former scout, but looking at the last 6yrs picks:

3rd

Strome
PLD
Heiskanen
Kotkaniemi
Dach
Stutzle

7th
Provorov
Keller
Andersson
Hughes
Cozens
Holtz

30th:

Carlsson
Frederic
Tolvanen
Veleno
Beecher
Bourque

31th:

Merkley
Steel
Kostin
Alexeyev
Johnson
Wiesblatt

I`d take a chance at the 3 picks myself, but as you see thoose 30-31th picks dont rarely give a franchise player.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

The idea of taking on contracts for firsts and prospects is going to allow Seattle to do a lot of wheeling and dealing. They might end up with 1/3 to 1/2 the picks in the first round anyway.

Reactions: WidgitRibbit

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
The idea of taking on contracts for firsts and prospects is going to allow Seattle to do a lot of wheeling and dealing. They might end up with 1/3 to 1/2 the picks in the first round anyway.

I don't see it happening. Flat cap = people will value ELC to the roof. Therefore keeping their picks and just bite the bullet

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
I don't see it happening. Flat cap = people will value ELC to the roof. Therefore keeping their picks and just bite the bullet

Totally disagree. We saw what Vegas came up with for not taking certain players. Taking Shea Theodore from Anaheim was a shot in the foot. And other franchises had to pay the piper also.

Seattle has all the leverage here. So I agree with the user you are quoting. There will be lots of wheeling and dealing going on soon.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Totally disagree. We saw what Vegas came up with for not taking certain players. Taking Shea Theodore from Anaheim was a shot in the foot. And other franchises had to pay the piper also.

Seattle has all the leverage here. So I agree with the user you are quoting. There will be lots of wheeling and dealing going on soon.

We'll see.

I do not see teams giving away their 1st rd picks unless absolutely necessary

Heck I'D like Bergevin to pay to get out of Byron's contract, but not a 1st rd pick

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I wouldn’t do that trade most years and definitely not 2021. There doesn’t seem to be much consensus in the top 10 period in 2021.

It would have to be one of those drafts where you know you’re getting a sure fire superstar like Puljujarvi at 3, so you know nothing bad would happen.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Very interesting scenario. Funny enough, I think both teams would say 'yes' and walk away happy.

Seattle are bound to land a couple of "big names" left exposed in the expansion draft. That, and all the fanfare of an expansion franchise in a strong sports market will probably be enough to offset not getting a "marquee" young talent from this draft. And if they play their cards right, getting three very good/good NHLers from the first round that are ready to come in 1-2 years from now would set them up so nicely. It's not the flashy move, but it's probably the smart one long term.

On the flipside, if CBJ can land a marquee young name from the draft by moving up, that would help give the fanbase a great hope to look forward to, turn the page from the PLD trade, and potentially help distract from any negativity around a potential Laine trade. Which feels like its coming, eventually. In short, they take their chances on landing a future star vs 2-3 very good young players, which their core seems to have plenty of already.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
For sake of argument, if CBJ end up with #7/29/30 and Seattle ends up with #3, isn't that a tailor-made deal for an expansion team?

Would you do if CBJ and would you do if Seattle?
Considering the lack of detailed scouting of this year's prospects, would a team be much better off with three picks even if two are very late, than one high pick? If either team has identified a can't miss franchise type guy, then I think they would want that pick. If not, Columbus probable keeps their three picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad