Proposal: CBJ-SEA draft day trade

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I have no idea what the draft rankings look like this year and no idea of what Seattle wants to do.

However, if I'm Seattle and I'm not enamoured with what is sitting at #3, I would trade back for those 2 late 1sts.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Two late 1sts for moving down 4 spots in the top 10? That seems like a bit of an overpayment and unless they're enamored with the guy at 3 it's a no brainer for an expansion club.

Reactions: Laus723

Ledge And Dairy

I guess that depends on how Seattle looks down the middle after expansion and if you think Eklund has 1C potential or is destined for the wing. Both teams will probably be looking at a future center IMO. At #7 you are probably looking at players like kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger, or Aatu Räty. All of which have a good shot at staying a center in the NHL

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I had thought Seattle couldn't possibly draft that high but I may be misremembering Vegas' first draft

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Two late 1sts for moving down 4 spots in the top 10? That seems like a bit of an overpayment and unless they're enamored with the guy at 3 it's a no brainer for an expansion club.

Yeah, that's an overpay IMO, especially in a draft like this where there's no clear top-3. I could see if it was 2009 or something.

But you never know, Jarmo could fall in love with someone. I would have seemed like an insane move in 2014 at the time, but with hindsight it would be brilliant: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Too early.

See what they get first. If they end up getting a some first rounders you'd probably keep the pick, depending on your scouts...

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
right - if its last draft, its worth it maybe, the top 3 guys were seen as ahead of the pack
but in most years, it may not be conclusive choice between 3 thru 7,
unless there is a specific guy, or position, in mind, CBJ should keep the 3 picks

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I don't think this is something to do before the lottery. However post lottery and its locked in that Seattle picks 3 and the Jackets 7, 29 and 30 it might make sense. It depends on how Seattle is ranking the prospects. If prospect 3-10 are about equal it would make sense to pick up the additional 2 picks. The same goes with the Jackets...if they are convinced there is a top 3 tier and their target won't drop it would make sense to spend the assets to get their guy.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
7th + either 29th or 30th for 3rd is already an overpayment. Giving up both to move up four spots in this draft would be insane.

Reactions: HBK27

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If Columbus has #7 I do that in a heartbeat as Seattle.

2021 draft is a lot like most others minus the top 2 players that you usually see. Honestly just as good a chance of getting a good player at #3 as there is at #7.

Reactions: PatrickMcC

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For sake of argument, if CBJ end up with #7/29/30 and Seattle ends up with #3, isn't that a tailor-made deal for an expansion team?

Would you do if CBJ and would you do if Seattle?
From the CBJ POV, with the PLD trade, you are suggesting that they are eying a Center?
I've seen both Beniers and Eklund listed as C/Wing and then there is Johnson. If the Jackets remain at 7, Johnson should be there IMO.

I believe Beniers will be gone by then. Eklund coin flip, but more likely to be gone as well.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
For sake of argument, if CBJ end up with #7/29/30 and Seattle ends up with #3, isn't that a tailor-made deal for an expansion team?

Would you do if CBJ and would you do if Seattle?
in this draft they might take that deal. This draft has a level of uncertainty.

you look at early rankings the summer before vs right up to the draft, it’s very chaotic and that’s withseeing players play.
I think there will be little difference with 4-7

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
For reference, the last time a top 10 pick for pick trade happened was 2008 (happened twice this year, both involving NYI)

5th overall for 7th, 68th, plus a 2009 2nd (ended up being 37th)

7th overall for 9th and 40th

So you could say the cost to move from 9th overall to 5th overall is two early 2nds and an early 3rd

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
12 years is a lot. Either GMs are more hesitant to trade the types of picks (Day 2) traditionally used to move up a couple slots as occurred pre-lockout and in the early cap years or the prices have skyrocketed.

I think it's the latter. The hope at that point in the draft is a franchise player. While not the norm, the risk of trading the pick used on Draisaitl (3) for the picks used on Fleury (7), Kempe (29), and Queneville (30) is terrifying.

I'd want an unprotected 2022 1st, which should kill a deal, if I'm GMRF. Of course, I'm dealing with incomplete information in a weird draft year. So, who knows.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I guess that depends on how Seattle looks down the middle after expansion and if you think Eklund has 1C potential or is destined for the wing. Both teams will probably be looking at a future center IMO. At #7 you are probably looking at players like kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger, or Aatu Räty. All of which have a good shot at staying a center in the NHL
for columbus beniers would most likely be the target.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Columbus is not trading first round picks to move up a few spots in a crapshoot draft

If this was the 2023 draft and Seattle had #1 or #2, then we have a deal

/thread

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad