Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
Just for laughs, here's the Google Translate rendering of the tweet from Liga:

"Ville Keskinen watches the warm-up of Tappara's final match with a keen eye, wearing a fan shirt. It says Keskinen on the back, of course. Father and son have developed a funny habit after the warm-up. The two throw "air flaps" before Oiva leaves the dressing room. 👊

"Oiva Keskinen joined Tappara's standard lineup as a credit center. There have been bumps on the way to the League, when health problems appeared in the C-junior age. Father Ville Keskinen tells how Oiva became a top player. 💪"

I swear, if I ever have too much time on my hands I will almost certainly take up the study of Finnish. (Google translate has its uses, but we should never mistake its output for an actual translation.)

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Pinelli's pick was the point in last year's draft where I felt they really lost me. Their 3rd forward in a row that was 5'9. And not a lot of production for that size and no special qualities like Brindley has.

3 picks later the Red Wings took a 6’3” left D who scouts say is really good at disrupting zone entries and has a booming shot. You know what we could use in our pipeline a lot more than another smallish wing?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't disagree with you all on some of the concerns. I will only add that once beyond round 1 and 2, it becomes a question of absolute upside and dart throws. I would actually argue more against the Strathmann pick than the Pinelli pick. I don't see a high upside with Strathman and to add a defenseman that is under 6' with no real upside... seems like an AHL pick. I prefer the risk of taking Pinelli than Strathmann at that point. Once the 3rd round hits (unless truly a deep deep draft), I advocate for high upside, higher risk players or an overager. Like, I love the Keskinen pick. Here's a kid that's a year older but actually adds to the center depth with some size and skill and has a higher upside. I also like the Peddle pick in the 7th. There's your dart throw. If he ever put it together, he's got a real interesting skill set with his size, skill and demeanor. He doesn't seem like it's going to happen but certainly worth it in the 7th (or go overseas like we've done in prior drafts).

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I don't disagree with you all on some of the concerns. I will only add that once beyond round 1 and 2, it becomes a question of absolute upside and dart throws. I would actually argue more against the Strathmann pick than the Pinelli pick. I don't see a high upside with Strathman and to add a defenseman that is under 6' with no real upside... seems like an AHL pick. I prefer the risk of taking Pinelli than Strathmann at that point. Once the 3rd round hits (unless truly a deep deep draft), I advocate for high upside, higher risk players or an overager. Like, I love the Keskinen pick. Here's a kid that's a year older but actually adds to the center depth with some size and skill and has a higher upside. I also like the Peddle pick in the 7th. There's your dart throw. If he ever put it together, he's got a real interesting skill set with his size, skill and demeanor. He doesn't seem like it's going to happen but certainly worth it in the 7th (or go overseas like we've done in prior drafts).
When I watched Peddle in person he looked like he couldn’t handle the puck any better than guys on my beer league team. This was last year of course, haven’t seen him this season. Definitely a long shot. But who knows, Rempe is on a playoff roster rn.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
When I watched Peddle in person he looked like he couldn’t handle the puck any better than guys on my beer league team. This was last year of course, haven’t seen him this season. Definitely a long shot. But who knows, Rempe is on a playoff roster rn.
I paid attention to him in development camp and thought he was pretty good. I watched some of his play this year and the trade seemed to be a big push for him. As to Rempe... I think he's a flash in the pan and not long for the league. I may be on an island with that one but I just don't see much beyond his willingness to fight. The few games I've seen he doesn't look like a good skater to me and seems to be focused on just stirring shit up. Time will tell in both regards.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The other day we were talking about the big forwards popping in the playoffs.

Adam Lowry was a third rounder, Dakota Joshua a 5th, Rempe a 6th. Sometimes even the big guys you draft for depth end up making a bigger impact than expected.
Yep, added value for sure. Looking at our bigger guys doesn’t instill confidence. Dolzhenkov probably our best chance?
That’s 3 guys out of 16 teams. The list of later drafted “small forwards who popped in the playoffs” I’m sure is similar.

Where does Brad Marchand fit into all this?

Physical size literally has nothing to do with anything or any added value. Crosby and McDavid aren’t better players if they’re 6 foot 4. It’s all about HOW you play the game.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I don't know much about Strathmann but at 5'11 187 that's a different category, that's Makar/Fox size.

That’s 3 guys out of 16 teams.

It's actually 3 off the top of my head. We could come up with a longer list if we tried.

The list of later drafted “small forwards who popped in the playoffs” I’m sure is similar.

It's not. Though ultra thick guys like Marchand and Marchessault have done well. If you have a 5'9 kid that you think will get incredibly built then go for it. I have no complaints with the Malatesta or Danforth additions.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
That’s 3 guys out of 16 teams. The list of later drafted “small forwards who popped in the playoffs” I’m sure is similar.
It’s just an example man.
Where does Brad Marchand fit into all this?
Wherever you want him to.
Physical size literally has nothing to do with anything or any added value. Crosby and McDavid aren’t better players if they’re 6 foot 4. It’s all about HOW you play the game.
It actually does matter.

If Nick Blankenburg was 6’2” it would change everything.

There were a total of 30 players 5’9” or smaller who played over 25 games this year. Less than 1 a team..

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Kind of a rough game in some ways for Mateychuk and the Warriors on a b2b night as Blades evened the series 1-1 with an OT win. Well deserved loss after that many unclean passes, puck fumbles under pressure and a terrible PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad