Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Josh Anderson re-signs with the Jackets (3 years, $1.85M AAV)

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Wow, another RFA screwed by a team. Forcing him to sign a below market deal and give up his arbitration rights or not play. I hope he refuses to sign when he is UFA in 3 years.

I don't know if this is exactly the right case to go into the hyperbole, but yes, RFA as it is today is a sham. Should be EITHER

Compensation to the right holding team- to raise the cost of acquisition and drive down salary
OR
Right of 1st refusal (matching)- to restrict movement

Not both.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Had to recheck, I thought UFA was at 26. It is 27. He would be arbitration eligible next year and thus eligible for a fair contract. So they forced him to give up 2 years instead of three.

Nobody forced him to sign this contract. If getting to arbitration as quickly as possible was the goal, then he should have pushed for a one year deal and not signed a three year deal.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
After he saw he wasn't getting a fair contract, he wanted a one year prove it contract at the very much below market value QO. He wanted to bet on himself. Apparently, the CBJ knew he was better than what they were willing to pay him so they locked him down for 3. How anyone can see this and think he was being unreasonable is beyond me.
He had plenty of time to sign that QO and he said no I would rather have term and get paid on my performance. It's not the CBJs fault he turned that original offer down. So the Jackets put out a fair market deal for what was best for the team. This isn't on the Jackets it's on an agent not understanding the position he was in. Has already cost his client playing time as he is 100% not on the ice opening night.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Then why not go to the next step and force him to sign for 8 at his QO? An extreme situation I know, but the take it or leave it to approach in the current CBA is not too far off. Because of the clubs collusion, there are no offer sheets which was really the only defense an RFA had against being abused by a club. Sorry, I am a proponent of treating employees well.
I would agree with you if NHL contracts weren't all guaranteed money.
In the real world, employees are held accountable for their results and fired, mostly with minimal compensation, if they don't perform or would you rather the term 'let go'. I am a proponent of fairness AND accountability.

That contract is fair, not sure what he would expect.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I would agree with you if NHL contracts weren't all guaranteed money.
In the real world, employees are held accountable for their results and fired, mostly with minimal compensation, if they don't perform or would you rather the term 'let go'. I am a proponent of fairness AND accountability.

That contract is fair, not sure what he would expect.

In the real world your job also doesn't come with routine physical trauma and force you out in your mid 30s with skills that can't be transferred elsewhere. Also you don't have to dedicate your entire life to becoming good enough for your real job and then have to toil in obscurity if you don't make it while still breaking down in your 30s.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't know if this is exactly the right case to go into the hyperbole, but yes, RFA as it is today is a sham. Should be EITHER

Compensation to the right holding team- to raise the cost of acquisition and drive down salary
OR
Right of 1st refusal (matching)- to restrict movement

Not both.

Sounds to me like the player chose to use what leverage he had and failed to get the sought outcome.

Not sure that this backfiring incident should be considered an indictment of the current RFA rules.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
In the real world your job also doesn't come with routine physical trauma and force you out in your mid 30s with skills that can't be transferred elsewhere. Also you don't have to dedicate your entire life to becoming good enough for your real job and then have to toil in obscurity if you don't make it while still breaking down in your 30s.

... yeah and this contract for working 3 years is greater than most people will make in their entire working career... they only have to work until they are 24-25 to get there.

I would trade places with this NHLer who on his 2nd contract gets a 1 way/3 year contract... regardless of how good/bad he is over the next 3 year. That's a 6 year career making $8.25m... how many people on this site will make that amount of money in their 48 year working career. If he is smart with his money, he can retire and be set for life. I would wager that 99% of the posters on this site would "take a chance" and trade places with him in a heartbeat.

The guy has a whopping 34 points in 96 NHL games... I would say a $1.85m AAV is very fair.

How many people work hard physical labor jobs but can't continue past 35... and they aren't making anywhere close to $2m per year. How about mentally stressful jobs... you should see what mid-management has to deal with in today's corporate workplace with metrics, performance management, growth targets, become leaner (aka downsizing) and the countless number of 50-60 hour work weeks. I am not going to feel too sorry for any NHLer and their contract predicaments.

Reactions: Iron Mosher

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Sounds to me like the player chose to use what leverage he had and failed to get the sought outcome.

Not sure that this backfiring incident should be considered an indictment of the current RFA rules.

This incident in particular no, Trouba was a pretty big statement case though. Between the compensation, right of 1st refusal, and under the table collusion to not "screw each other over" with offer sheets RFA's are Free in name only, it's basically a 4 year reserve clause.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
this was a matter of the waiting game really, who was gonna cave first and what not

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
... yeah and this contract for working 3 years is greater than most people will make in their entire working career... they only have to work until they are 24-25 to get there.

I would trade places with this NHLer who on his 2nd contract gets a 1 way/3 year contract... regardless of how good/bad he is over the next 3 year. That's a 6 year career making $8.25m... how many people on this site will make that amount of money in their 48 year working career. If he is smart with his money, he can retire and be set for life. I would wager that 99% of the posters on this site would "take a chance" and trade places with him in a heartbeat.

The guy has a whopping 34 points in 96 NHL games... I would say a $1.85m AAV is very fair.

How many people work hard physical labor jobs but can't continue past 35... and they aren't making anywhere close to $2m per year. How about mentally stressful jobs... you should see what mid-management has to deal with in today's corporate workplace with metrics, performance management, growth targets, become leaner (aka downsizing) and the countless number of 50-60 hour work weeks. I am not going to feel too sorry for any NHLer and their contract predicaments.

"I would trade places" that's cute. Would you trade places with Elon Musk too? You know you wouldn't have to trade places with anybody if you just put in the same type of work that all these players do from oh I don't know age 5? Basically pursuing this one very low percentage career for your entire childhood and adult life. Doing more intense physical activity in a day that most physically active people do in a month. How much effort did you put in at 14 years old to prepare you for your "mentally stressful" middle management job that just about anyone half assing their way through college gets these days? Because I have one of those and I didn't do jack. I could find 6 billion people who would love to trade places for you because you have access to clean water and earn more than $1 a day. Hell, they'd be happy working twice your hours for 1/5 of your pay. You are unironically in the top 1% of world population, I guess that means you can't negotiate for a raise or any sort of working conditions for yourself because the vast majority of people are orders of magnitude worse off.

Would you trade places with Angelo Esposito or Blake Geoffrion or all the guys who didn't make it to the show and got crippled by their mid 20s in the process? I too would trade places with anyone far richer and more successful than me and ignore everything it took for them to get there and taking all the risks that panned out for them but not others.

You're also forgetting that after taxes, escrow, fees, everything he gets to keep "only" ~600k a year, which again sounds nice if you ignore everything it takes to get it and the type of limitations professional athletes have to wrestle with for the remainder of their life

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad