Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Johnny Gaudreau signs with the Blue Jackets (7 years, $9.75M AAV)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
??

Yeah I guess if I had no job or wife maybe I'd live at home too at this point. :laugh:

I do not want any of what y'all are smoking in this thread, making you think way too hard about this.

Also, it's Eric Robinson. Google is easy. He's in the dude's wedding.
Thats the salient point. Last I heard Johnny had an extremely well paying job... even before signing his last contract.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Thats the salient point. Last I heard Johnny had an extremely well paying job... even before signing his last contract.

If you seriously think JG would live at his parents' house if he played for Philly than maybe I do want some of what you're smoking.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If you seriously think JG would live at his parents' house if he played for Philly than maybe I do want some of what you're smoking.
I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. The guy is joined at the hip with his family. Things have probably changed a bit now he's married with a baby on the way but I bet he still calls home way more often than the average 29 year old male does. Signing with Columbus because he didn't want to be too close to his family is bullshit as far as I can see. He signed there because he deemed it was the best available option, after Philly failed to step up to the mark, and after burning his bridges with Calgary.... plus he really wanted to move back to the USA. He's also a small town kinda guy. Playing in the densely populated metro NY area probably didn't interest him at all. Philly was by far his #1 choice where he could live across the river in Carneys Pt and see mom and dad and the rest of the family all the time.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. The guy is joined at the hip with his family. Things have probably changed a bit now he's married with a baby on the way but I bet he still calls home way more often than the average 29 year old male does. Signing with Columbus because he didn't want to be too close to his family is bullshit as far as I can see. He signed there because he deemed it was the best available option, after Philly failed to step up to the mark, and after burning his bridges with Calgary.... plus he really wanted to move back to the USA. He's also a small town kinda guy. Playing in the densely populated metro NY area probably didn't interest him at all. Philly was by far his #1 choice where he could live across the river in Carneys Pt and see mom and dad and the rest of the family all the time.

[insert contrary paragraph of made up nonsense here]

reservoir_dogs_violine.jpg

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Are you like BFFs with Johnny and his family or are you just pulling all of this out of your ass? Johnny himself said he didn't want to be too close to his family. You do realize he made the decision with his wife AND HIS MOM.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Are you like BFFs with Johnny and his family or are you just pulling all of this out of your ass? Johnny himself said he didn't want to be too close to his family. You do realize he made the decision with his wife AND HIS MOM.
Johnny and his family were a regular topic of conversation here in Calgary. I mean regular! Not a single other player had their mom & dad attending games in the dome as often as Johnny did. And yes, Gaudreau was the team's premier star but in all the years I've watched the team nobodies family showed up to the games as much as Johnny's did, other than maybe those few player's families who lived in the Calgary area. Frankly, I'm surprised the team didn't make Guy Gaudreau a team honorary coach because he was around so much. Trust me... Johnny desperately wanted to play in Philly. Columbus was an after thought.... but it wouldn't surprise me in the least that moving to Columbus became easier after getting the Mom stamp of approval.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Johnny and his family were a regular topic of conversation here in Calgary. I mean regular! Not a single other player had their mom & dad attending games in the dome as often as Johnny did. And yes, Gaudreau was the team's premier star but in all the years I've watched the team nobodies family showed up to the games as much as Johnny's did, other than maybe those few player's families who lived in the Calgary area. Frankly, I'm surprised the team didn't make Guy Gaudreau a team honorary coach because he was around so much. Trust me... Johnny desperately wanted to play in Philly. Columbus was an after thought.... but it wouldn't surprise me in the least that moving to Columbus became easier after getting the Mom stamp of approval.
Okay Johnny wanted to play in Philadelphia, Columbus was an afterthought and he's a momma's boy.

He still signed a contract for 7 years and $68.25m to play in Columbus and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's happy. And the Gaudreau's are welcome in Columbus any time.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Worked out pretty well for the "afterthought." 😉
Yes it did. Columbus stepped up to the mark where others didn't. Columbus got themselves a great player and I'm sure Gaudreau and family will be very happy playing and living there. From the photos I've seem Columbus looks very nice. At a million people, not too big but big enough.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If it wasn't going to be Calgary I'm glad it was Columbus. The hockey fans there deserve a special player like Gaudreau. This is a signing that could transform a franchise, Johnny makes everyone around him better.

There's not a lot of guys in this league that can carry an offense like Gaudreau. Over his time in Calgary I believe he had a point on roughly 1 out of 3 goals the Flames scored. Those are McDavid, Crosby, Kane numbers. Kekalainen needs to find him a #1C to get the most out of him but I think he'll immediately have a huge impact regardless. Could definitely see the BJs making the playoffs next season, even in the competitive Metro division.

MrEckted

Jan 28, 2008
CBus
Yes it did. Columbus stepped up to the mark where others didn't. Columbus got themselves a great player and I'm sure Gaudreau and family will be very happy playing and living there. From the photos I've seem Columbus looks very nice. At a million people, not too big but big enough.

Columbus metro is around 2.1 million I believe. He will likely find a nice place in a suburb and live a pretty low-key existence in his down time. On the ice, the fans are going to go nuts for him.

Reactions: Toe Pick

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Ultimately it was never Johnny's decision, his wife did not want to be in Calgary (and Philly had no room for him).

He picked option c.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
...odd that Gaudreau's wife has such a weird HFB handle...so is it like Becky Lynch calling herself "The Man"??...:dunno:
No, Flames fans just read interviews.

Reading between the line, his wife did not want Calgary and Philly was their first pick. Which ended up not happening for cap reasons.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Salty flames fans in here... is what I would normally (or when this was announced) say. Good job moving on. A lot of Habs fans in comparison can't move on from Kotkaniemi.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

The bolded makes you sound absolutely insane.

Some people actually like their families and value their time together, believe it or not. Maybe worry less about how many times Johnny Gaudreau calls home? It just sounds weird. He didn't break up with you specifically my man.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The bolded makes you sound absolutely insane.

Some people actually like their families and value their time together, believe it or not. Maybe worry less about how many times Johnny Gaudreau calls home? It just sounds weird. He didn't break up with you specifically my man.
Come on. My statement is a rebutal to Johnny's bullshit assertion that he chose Columbus because wanted to be close to home but not too close. Try reading the whole thread before making ignorant comments.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Come on. My statement is a rebutal to Johnny's bullshit assertion that he chose Columbus because wanted to be close to home but not too close. Try reading the whole thread before making ignorant comments.
Yes. Why make ignorant comments when you can take a position contrary to a guy’s actual words with no evidence to support it?

Last edited:

Buckleyy

Aug 26, 2022
Jackets got a great player in Johnny.
Calgary turned the offseason from hell to something very very salvageable offseason. came out better arguably .

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yes. Why make ignorant comments when you can take a position contrary to a guy’s actual words with no evidence to support it?
You're right. If Johnny said it, it must be the truth. Johnny would never tell a white lie to a bunch of surprised reporters asking why Columbus of all places?... particularly when he's going to spend the next 7 years playing and living there. My bad.

MrEckted

Jan 28, 2008
CBus

Reading between the line, his wife did not want Calgary and Philly was their first pick. Which ended up not happening for cap reasons.

So, reading between the lines of your comment, it's just your speculation?

You're right. If Johnny said it, it must be the truth. Johnny would never tell a white lie to a bunch of surprised reporters asking why Columbus of all places?... particularly when he's going to spend the next 7 years playing and living there. My bad.
So instead of taking Johnny's word we should just trust you? Because?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So, reading between the lines of your comment, it's just your speculation?

So instead of taking Johnny's word we should just trust you? Because?
Jeesus. All reports said that Gaudreau wanted to sign with Philly and that's something he said was his dream. I mean... you can't get any closer to mom & dad than Philly. Its right across the river from Carney's Point!
Now all of a sudden you think Gaudreau doesn't want to be too close to home? Do you really believe everything he says to the media in a city he just signed a $67 million contract to play in? If your answer is yes, I have some lovely waterfront real estate in Florida I'd love to sell you.
I'm sure Columbus is a wonderful city but Gaudreau didn't choose it because it was close but not too close to Carney's Point. He chose it, surprising everyone in the hockey world I might add, because it was his best option after Philly failed to step up to the plate.

MrEckted

Jan 28, 2008
CBus
Jeesus. All reports said that Gaudreau wanted to sign with Philly and that's something he said was his dream. I mean... you can't get any closer to mom & dad than Philly. Its right across the river from Carney's Point!
Now all of a sudden you think Gaudreau doesn't want to be too close to home? Do you really believe everything he says to the media in a city he just signed a $67 million contract to play in? If your answer is yes, I have some lovely waterfront real estate in Florida I'd love to sell you.
I'm sure Columbus is a wonderful city but Gaudreau didn't choose it because it was close but not too close to Carney's Point. He chose it, surprising everyone in the hockey world I might add, because it was his best option after Philly failed to step up to the plate.

I'm not claiming to know what happened behind the scenes or what his actual motivations were, you've got that covered. Just like your statement that Columbus is a wonderful city, assuming you've never been there, I'm merely suggesting this is all speculation. Logical perhaps, but speculative. To suggest otherwise is hubris.

Personally, the result is all I'm concerned with at the end of the day.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm not claiming to know what happened behind the scenes or what his actual motivations were, you've got that covered. Just like your statement that Columbus is a wonderful city, assuming you've never been there, I'm merely suggesting this is all speculation. Logical perhaps, but speculative. To suggest otherwise is hubris.

Personally, the result is all I'm concerned with at the end of the day.
Fair enough but 90% of HF Boards posts are logical speculation and reading between the lines. Its extremely rare that NHL players, coaches, and GM's come out and tell it like it really is. Well maybe someone like "I don't give a shit" Tortorella does but he's a unicorn.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...so you have an opinion that is based on "reading between the lines" and we're supposed to just take it as fact, then, since you admit to having no real intimate knowledge on the subject...cool...carry on...:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad