CBJ claim Zac Dalpe from waivers (MIN)

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Interesting. Dalpe was an intriguing prospect but haven't heard anything of him in years. What's he like as a pro?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Interesting. Dalpe was an intriguing prospect but haven't heard anything of him in years. What's he like as a pro?

Not bad as a 4th line center with a 3rd line ceiling. He was just coming off injury as the Wild called him up the other day, but had to put him on waivers after the Hanzal/White trade yesterday.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not bad as a 4th line center with a 3rd line ceiling. He was just coming off injury as the Wild called him up the other day, but had to put him on waivers after the Hanzal/White trade yesterday.

They called him up and placed him on immediate waivers hoping to reset his waiver clock due to the fact it was going to reach 10 games if he played tonight (the original plan when calling him up) actually... the Hanzal trade happened hours later and would have changed the plans of having Dalpe play tonight.

I was hoping he'd clear. He's a solid 4th line player who can play center and wing, but was injured late in October and only recently came back to play a few games in Iowa.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I thought there was a rule that if you claimed a guy off waivers, you had to keep him on the NHL roster for a period of time.

This kept teams from claiming somebody from another team that was going down to the minors and stashing that player in your minor league system. The idea is that the player gets an opportunity to stick in the NHL.

- On 2nd thought - this would allow the CBJ to move Gagner for a pick and not be any worse for the wear.

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I thought there was a rule that if you claimed a guy off waivers, you had to keep him on the NHL roster for a period of time.

This kept teams from claiming somebody from another team that was going down to the minors and stashing that player in your minor league system. The idea is that the player gets an opportunity to stick in the NHL.

- On 2nd thought - this would allow the CBJ to move Gagner for a pick and not be any worse for the wear.

From The Score:

Normally, a player claimed off waivers cannot be sent down without first being waived again, but as Portzline explains, Dalpe's case is different because his "waiver clock" had not expired yet.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Why again? I've been saying all year that Gagner is overrated but I cannot understand why you wouldn't want him at least in reserve for the playoffs.

I do think Dalpe can be a better 4th line center.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
From The Score:

Normally, a player claimed off waivers cannot be sent down without first being waived again, but as Portzline explains, Dalpe's case is different because his "waiver clock" had not expired yet.

Thanks! I was unaware of the exception (or the specific application of these facts to the exception).

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

I checked a wiki overview on the subject and couldn't find any restriction, but you have me wondering now. Since (in this case) MN couldn't send him down without exposing to waivers, can we send him to AHL or do so without repeating the waiver process? Yet it seems I recall this happening before. There's some smart folks on this Board who probably know the answer.

As to Gagner, I saw him as someone we may want to move. But the last two games have me rethinking that. He has played better since his move to center and has been a threat offensively. I like Sedlack and admire how he played his way into a regular slot, but IMO his absence and Bjork's addition has led to some line combos I really like better.

EDit: I type so slowly that the answer did emerge between my start and finish.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Why again? I've been saying all year that Gagner is overrated but I cannot understand why you wouldn't want him at least in reserve for the playoffs.

I do think Dalpe can be a better 4th line center.

I'm not saying they should......it was more about COULD.

I agree with you that Gagner could play a big role in April and beyond. My point was it would give the CBJ an opportunity to accumulate more assets. I assumed that they would be forced to keep Dalp on the 23 man roster. I was unaware of the "clock" exception.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Dalpe's a decent 4th line center. I know Fletcher & Boudreau were somewhat upset that you guys claimed him, so take that as a compliment. He'll be serve as nice center depth for you guys heading into the playoffs.

Russo:
General Manager Chuck Fletcher really hoped Dalpe would slide through waivers, as did coach Bruce Boudreau, who didn't seem too pleased when he was told Dalpe was taken.

Boudreau was so taken aback, I wonder if Dalpe was playing tonight vs. the Kings (Devan Dubnyk vs. Jonathan Quick) or maybe there was some other kind of trade in the works that he's aware of.

Seemed pretty cryptic and stunned. Maybe somebody's sick? I didn't see Mikko Koivu this morning, and that's pure conjecture. But reporter instinct: It was weird.

He just came off a major injury, so he'll probably look rusty/bad if he plays in your lineup right away.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I mean its a good depth piece that we acquired for absolutely nothing. No complaints here.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I checked a wiki overview on the subject and couldn't find any restriction, but you have me wondering now. Since (in this case) MN couldn't send him down without exposing to waivers, can we send him to AHL or do so without repeating the waiver process? Yet it seems I recall this happening before. There's some smart folks on this Board who probably know the answer.

As to Gagner, I saw him as someone we may want to move. But the last two games have me rethinking that. He has played better since his move to center and has been a threat offensively. I like Sedlack and admire how he played his way into a regular slot, but IMO his absence and Bjork's addition has led to some line combos I really like better.

EDit: I type so slowly that the answer did emerge between my start and finish.

The Wild didn't have to waive him. Dalpe had 1 game left on his waiver clock and called hum up intending to play him tonight, but that game would have made him waiver eligible. With the trade deadline coming up, he would have to have been waived after the game anyway or be stuck on the NHL roster the rest of the year since teams are not permitted to waive anyone post trade deadline day.

Thus they chose to get the waiver process done ahead of time so he wouldn't need waivers after to be sent down... then you guys went and messed all that up.

Thus why they Jackets didn't need to waive him to send him down... One game still remains on the waiver clock.

ernmorris

Jun 9, 2008
I like this move. It didn’t cost us anything (well, $15,000, but that’s nothing to an NHL team) and it adds depth to a key position.

Dalpe was the Hurricanes 2nd round pick in 2008. He played another couple years at OSU before joining the Canes minor league affiliate. In 2010-11, he had 57 points in 61 games. In 11-12, he had 31 in 56 and 12-13 he had 42 in 54. He hasn’t been able to put up the point totals in the NHL that he has in the AHL as of yet, but it seems like he does have some game.

He’s a right shot center and stands 6’1â€. He’s had some bad luck with injuries these last few years (couple of knee surgeries and a hip surgery) so perhaps that the reason he hasn’t taken off at the NHL level yet.

Nice, low risk move, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad