Confirmed with Link: [CBJ/ANA] Milano traded for Devin Shore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Like, Milano never had moments of brilliance in Columbus, it's just one game... I mean, they used to say, Torts would hate Panarin, and then Panarin came and became Torts' favorite. You don't need to be a grinder to be loved by Torts.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Yup, but Milano was our 5th most efficient player for points per time played , the kid is 23, put in the effort to change his game , and got yanked around by our coach . Torts gives speeches to the press we need to forget and move on, just play our game, but he doesn’t coach that way . Great asset management in this case :help:.View attachment 326517
Milano got 2 points last night. His 4th multi point game of his career. Big deal on his points per 60. It takes him almost 5 games to get 60 minutes. If he was better he would have played more. If you look at the top of that list, you see 3rd round pick Bjorkstrand. He came up through the same system, and same coaches. He even went through Tort's doghouse just like Sonny. Yet he improved. Bjork has has 6 multi point games in his last17 games. 11 this season. Someone doesn't listen to thier coach, or work hard enough to improve. Torts may be a part of the problem, but most of it was on Milano.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Sonny is not going to sustain this. Once a bettter D team starts to put pressure on him he will revert back to missing in action Milano.

Perfect run and gun setting against Oilers. Yes everyone has that initial. I will show them what they lost. And he will be back to usual aloof self. .
Pretty much. We’ve seen this before. He’ll ping pong back and forth between games where he thrives and games where he’s about as effective as Alyssa Milano would be.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
One thing about Sonny - he’s definitely polarizing. It’s like the the script in the old Miller Lite a Beer commercials.....reminds me of the debates back while Zherdev was here (though Nik the Quick potted a lot more goals).

Put me down for hoping he has great success.

Reactions: We Want Ten

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Like, Milano never had moments of brilliance in Columbus, it's just one game... I mean, they used to say, Torts would hate Panarin, and then Panarin came and became Torts' favorite. You don't need to be a grinder to be loved by Torts.

Wow, he didn't mismanage one of the top 5 or 10 offensive talents in the league. What a ringing endorsement lol

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think it's important to consider that both Duclair and Milano were sent to horrible teams. Anaheim is 27th in the standings and Ottawa is 29th.

They are going to get amounts of ice time and PP time that they wouldn't get with better teams and their production should be expected to increase accordingly.

Connor Brown is tied for the lead in scoring for Ottawa right now since Pageau was traded. Brown was 9th among forwards in both 17-18 and 18-19 for Toronto.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Lot's of ice time, opportunities for Sonny in ANA. Let's see if he's consistent.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Wait, I thought that's exactly what he's accused of doing: mismanaging top offensive talent.

I don't know that I would call Johansen, Duclair, Karlsson, Milano, Dzingel, or even Saad (remember when he benched him in the 3rd period of a playoff game?) top offensive talent. More that they were all more offensively skilled players who couldn't or wouldn't play "Torts style" hockey. There's a reason those guys are out of town, many producing at much higher rates away from Torts and there's also a reason the Boone Jenners and Nick Folignos of the world lead the forwards on this team in ice time.

The point about Panarin is that he was so good offensively Torts couldn't bench him or limit him in ways he could with others.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't know that I would call Johansen, Duclair, Karlsson, Milano, Dzingel, or even Saad (remember when he benched him in the 3rd period of a playoff game?) top offensive talent. More that they were all more offensively skilled players who couldn't or wouldn't play "Torts style" hockey. There's a reason those guys are out of town, many producing at much higher rates away from Torts

Yeah, and the bolded haven't. Saad's best seasons came when he was here, with Torts, and we got rid of him at his highest because Torts knew he put his feet up after getting paid and his rings. He was proven to be right. Saad is a good player, but he was satisfied with being a good player only. In many ways, Johansen is the same. Dzingel is back to producing his about average rate, and Duclair had a red hot start, but has been invisible since. So, in many ways, he hasn't grown at all and is the same player he was when he left here. Milano is a TBD. Only Karlsson fits into your mold as a player who got better after leaving here.

and there's also a reason the Boone Jenners and Nick Folignos of the world lead the forwards on this team in ice time.

Yeah, its called injuries. You really think they'd lead our team in ice time if we had Atkinson, Anderson, Texier, Bjorkstrand, and Wennberg were healthy? I don't. Foligno would be up there due to potential 2nd line PP and PK duties, but Jenner would only see 3rd line ice time + PK duties. They're getting asked to do too much in roles they don't belong in because we're beaten with injuries. Surely you know this.

Fairwhether

Jan 4, 2018
It would be nice if we had someone that liked working with stats to capture the comparison all forwards traded into and out of the organization comparing their production with Torts and without. I would assume it isn't that long of a list of players.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
He didn't mismanage Milano either.

Maybe. I guess we'll find out. Coaches mismanage players all the time. Coaches look for certain things and if you aren't doing them you can get left out fairly easily. Another coach may be able to play to a players strengths better and put them in situations where they can succeed.

For Milano, he's always had the skill. The question were with things like the mental side.

Reactions: Xoggz22

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Dzingel was a healthy scratch the other night for Carolina
I’m glad we chose not to resign him as he’d have likely been an overpay for us, though I recognize his value fell as the signing window was closing. In hindsight, I don’t know that he’s better - or at least any more than marginally better - than Duclair. It’s no wonder The Athletic had this down as the worst NHL trade of the 2019 deadline deals.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Maybe. I guess we'll find out. Coaches mismanage players all the time. Coaches look for certain things and if you aren't doing them you can get left out fairly easily. Another coach may be able to play to a players strengths better and put them in situations where they can succeed.

For Milano, he's always had the skill. The question were with things like the mental side.
We will probably never know, even if he does well in Anaheim. Being traded was probably the first time in Sonny's hockey career someone told him he wasn't good enough to be on a team. That could be enough to trigger something and make him change his habits. I have know way of knowing other than all the times I have seen him play live or on tv, but with his incremental improvement over 5 seasons, to me, I don't think he works hard enough on his game in the offseason. There really hasn't been a whole lot of improvemnt, not like Bjorkstrand. And I only use Bjorkstrand as an example because they are close in age, and came up through the same system and coaches at the same time. As far as playing to his strengths and putting him in a position to succeed, that has been done here. He has played on all lines, and on power plays, and its been the same result. He played 116 games. That is plenty of chances. There are people on here that have seen enough of Kiv after 5 games, and probably some that have seen enough of Thurkauf. I would have liked Milano to succeed here, but it wasn't going to happen. If Torts mismanaged him, so be it. I think he has seen enough in his career to know good players from bad, and being a coach, and winning being really the only thing that lets you keep your job, I have a hard time thinking he wouldn't play him if it gave him a better chance to win.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yeah, and the bolded haven't. Saad's best seasons came when he was here, with Torts, and we got rid of him at his highest because Torts knew he put his feet up after getting paid and his rings. He was proven to be right. Saad is a good player, but he was satisfied with being a good player only. In many ways, Johansen is the same. Dzingel is back to producing his about average rate, and Duclair had a red hot start, but has been invisible since. So, in many ways, he hasn't grown at all and is the same player he was when he left here. Milano is a TBD. Only Karlsson fits into your mold as a player who got better after leaving here.

Yeah, its called injuries. You really think they'd lead our team in ice time if we had Atkinson, Anderson, Texier, Bjorkstrand, and Wennberg were healthy? I don't. Foligno would be up there due to potential 2nd line PP and PK duties, but Jenner would only see 3rd line ice time + PK duties. They're getting asked to do too much in roles they don't belong in because we're beaten with injuries. Surely you know this.

Nailed it

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
We will probably never know, even if he does well in Anaheim. Being traded was probably the first time in Sonny's hockey career someone told him he wasn't good enough to be on a team. That could be enough to trigger something and make him change his habits. I have know way of knowing other than all the times I have seen him play live or on tv, but with his incremental improvement over 5 seasons, to me, I don't think he works hard enough on his game in the offseason. There really hasn't been a whole lot of improvemnt, not like Bjorkstrand. And I only use Bjorkstrand as an example because they are close in age, and came up through the same system and coaches at the same time. As far as playing to his strengths and putting him in a position to succeed, that has been done here. He has played on all lines, and on power plays, and its been the same result. He played 116 games. That is plenty of chances. There are people on here that have seen enough of Kiv after 5 games, and probably some that have seen enough of Thurkauf. I would have liked Milano to succeed here, but it wasn't going to happen. If Torts mismanaged him, so be it. I think he has seen enough in his career to know good players from bad, and being a coach, and winning being really the only thing that lets you keep your job, I have a hard time thinking he wouldn't play him if it gave him a better chance to win.

Bjorkstrand is an excellent comparison to Milano when considering development and growth.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

They have been leading the forwards in average ice time per game basically all season, even before the injuries. Bjorkstrand was up there as well among the leaders.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Bjorkstrand is an excellent comparison to Milano when considering development and growth.
My first thought would be to agree as Torts was looking for more checking - defensive awareness - from both. But there’s some distinct differences as Milano is actually more “intense” than Bjork at the same make or break juncture. On offense, they are two different players though both offense oriented. Bjork has a much better shot, is a very good passer but within a more conservative framework. Milano has a more creative shot portfolio including a strong backhand and has better vision. He’s a more creative passer but not nearly as aggressive or strong on the puck. He doesn’t have nearly the on puck compete level as Bjork, who is IMO our best forward in that regard (yes, not as strong as Nick or Boone but better at the final result).

Reactions: Nordique and cslebn

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I don't think Milano will have the same success as Duclair right away ... but I do expect him to become a 20 goal scorer within 2-3 seasons.

And we'll regret it, yep.

Reactions: The Bread Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad