CBA 101 by Larry Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
CBA 101: Over the summer, clubs can be 10 percent over the cap. From July 1 through Sept. 30, clubs are charged for all players in the organization signed to one-way contracts (average salary and prospective bonuses); the percent of NHL salaries to players on two-way deals based on the amount of time spent in the NHL the previous season, and all qualifiers and actual buyout payments. Beginning Oct. 1, the cap is calculated on the average contract value (including all possible bonuses) of only those players on the NHL roster, plus buyouts. No one on a minor-league roster counts against the cap.

The cap salary range, by the way, in future years of the CBA will be calculated as 54 percent of the defined Hockey Revenue for the preceding season minus $66M for benefits plus an assumed five percent growth, divided by 30. That's the midpoint. The floor will be $8M less, the cap $8M more.

For example, if this year's hockey revenue is $1.6B, next year's payroll range will be between $20.99-36.99M. If it's $1.5B, the ceiling will be $35.1M; 1.7B, it'll be $38.88M

http://www.nypost.com/sports/51845.htm

Players in the AHL on one way contracts will not count against the cap

When is the NHL and NHLPA going to make the entire CBA available on line?

$16 million gap between the ceiling and floor going forward in the new CBA which is closer to the $20 million gap proposed by the NHLPA than the $10 million gap proposed by the NHL

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It's Brooks so I'm still suspicious about whther it is the whole truth. Take

"including all possible bonuses"

Would that make Carter and Richards much, much cap heavier than mets the eye if they got rookie max? How much is Crosby going to count as if he's got big big unlikely bonuses?
:dunno:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
me2 said:
Would that make Carter and Richards much, much cap heavier than mets the eye if they got rookie max? How much is Crosby going to count as if he's got big big unlikely bonuses?
:dunno:

Carter and Richards didn't get bonuses in their contracts. Crosby, Ovechkin etc. will count more than their base.

NYIsles1*

Isn't this the third or fourth time Brooks has changed what Jagr's salary cap hit will be next season ?

Tough to come up with new material where the salary cap must be considered in all signings and trades?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
MojoJojo said:
Does this mean we dont need a 23 man roster? Since only 20 suit up on a given night, this saves us 1.5 mil under the cap.

Correct. The old CBA had no minimum either - just the 20 man game day requirement. The 23 man (and earlier 24 man) limit was a max only.

But going with only 20 men near the cap is suicide because of minor injuries. The IR replacement exception for the cap is only for major injuries (24 days amd 10 games minumum). Get a couple of minor injuries with a 20 man roster, you'll take an almost $1M cap hit just to call up a couple of min salary warm bodies.

And trying to play musical rosters and sending people down (other than players with 60 to 160 games experience based on time since first contract) will expose them to waivers going down and (according to rumor) when they get recalled.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
John Flyers Fan said:
Carter and Richards didn't get bonuses in their contracts. Crosby, Ovechkin etc. will count more than their base.

What are Umberger's bonuses? Didn't he get rookie max? That could see him stuck in the AHL until his contract is up.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
me2 said:
What are Umberger's bonuses? Didn't he get rookie max? That could see him stuck in the AHL until his contract is up.

He got the rookie max, but this is the last year of his ELS, and chances are he'll be in the AHL the majority of the year, not because he isn't NHL ready, but because there isn't currently a spot fo him. He'll likely play 20 gams or so as an injury call-up.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
kdb209 said:
Correct. The old CBA had no minimum either - just the 20 man game day requirement. The 23 man (and earlier 24 man) limit was a max only.

But going with only 20 men near the cap is suicide because of minor injuries. The IR replacement exception for the cap is only for major injuries (24 days amd 10 games minumum). Get a couple of minor injuries with a 20 man roster, you'll take an almost $1M cap hit just to call up a couple of min salary warm bodies.

And trying to play musical rosters and sending people down (other than players with 60 to 160 games experience based on time since first contract) will expose them to waivers going down and (according to rumor) when they get recalled.
Was there something about >$75,000 AHL salary regarding waivers and callups/senddowns in the rumors?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
SJeasy said:
Was there something about >$75,000 AHL salary regarding waivers and callups/senddowns in the rumors?

IIRC, the $75K AHL salary rumor was that players earning >$75K in the minors would count against the cap. This was to prevent things like Detroit stashing CuJo and his $8M salary in the AHL.

It is unlikely that the league would tighten the waiver rules for first and second year players, players for whom there are legitimate (non salary cap) reasons for sending to and from the minors. Established players (more than 60-160 games NHL experience) would be subject to waivers regardless of their salaries. The only significan change I've heard rumored to waivers (other than the elimination of the Waiver draft) was that waivers would have to be cleared to call a non-exempt player up as well as sending him down.

But, again, untill we finally get our hands on the CBA, we won't know for sure.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
kdb209 said:
IIRC, the $75K AHL salary rumor was that players earning >$75K in the minors would count against the cap. This was to prevent things like Detroit stashing CuJo and his $8M salary in the AHL.

It is unlikely that the league would tighten the waiver rules for first and second year players, players for whom there are legitimate (non salary cap) reasons for sending to and from the minors. Established players (more than 60-160 games NHL experience) would be subject to waivers regardless of their salaries. The only significan change I've heard rumored to waivers (other than the elimination of the Waiver draft) was that waivers would have to be cleared to call a non-exempt player up as well as sending him down.

But, again, untill we finally get our hands on the CBA, we won't know for sure.

I presume that just having that big salary in the offseason is supposed to clog up a teams spending ability even if they subsequently get sent down. Then there is the rumour they have to pass through waivers with the waiving team picking up half the cap/salary. That's a huge potential blow. Send Cujo down, have another team pick him up and still get stung with $4m in cap/dollars.

It's all speculation until we see some details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad