Post-Game Talk: Cats V Caps 7:00. just hold the lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
How is it that considered follow through and MoJo's wasn't? He backhands the puck, then recocks and hits right in the face, but MoJo gets a guys shoulder on the same motion and its high sticking, thanks refs.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
If we hold on that's 5 wins in a row. Pretty impressive winning streak.

However, it's a really weird streak. Seems like we aren't on a winning streak at all really. We win - but haven't been hot you could say at all that most teams are on streaks. This team is weird.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Sure Oshie can get a bit more money elsewhere (Imagine him as a Rag for just a second. Barf.) but he's playing the best hockey of his career here and seems to love DC. He might take less and stay, ya'll. If not I will cry. :laugh:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Oshie is on 44 goals pace. Maybe we can sign him for 6M x 3Y? Doubt it but maybe.

On the other hand, Butter Clutch became a little cold.

PS: Checked the standings. Florida is not a playoff team. This result is not good enough.

I unfortunately think Oshie isn't taking anything less than 5 years. A team would give him a 6-8 year deal I bet - and this is the time of his career he can cash in and get his one last huge contract for long-term. He'd be dumb not to get it.

It's a really sucky situation... but hopefully it can work out for the Caps. I really hope they have a plan B though that doesn't rely on Vrana or someone else just stepping in again from in-house. It's nice not having to see Jay Beagle on the top line again. I love me some Jay Beagle - but I don't want to ever see him on that top line again, haha.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Orpik is undoubtedly better than last season.

Oshie signed will make expansion draft options better for LV and that could force them to choose not Orlov. Maybe.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Oshie and his wife are both from Minnesota and met in college at North Dakota.

If he leaves and signs a big deal - it could be up north closer to home. It'd be close to BOTH of his and his wifes family.

Then again, I'm from the midwest and zero chance I'm moving bakc there after living in DC, haha. Maybe he'll love this place too and stay. If you have money (which Oshie obviously does), DC is a pretty great place to be.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Sloppy 10 minutes to start, but the final two periods were great. Nice win.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
barkov has been hot garbage, ekblad has been terrible (probably the worst D on ice), they are missing huberdeau, bjugstad and now jagr but its still solid home game win. Bad 1st, then dominant 2nd and 3rd

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
5 game winning streak!!! I foolishly predicted an 8 game winning streak and now I'm going to stick by it. :nod:
They can do it just maybe.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
We need to get first in the division.

Don't want to have to go through both the Penguins and Rangers.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
We need to resign Oshie. I have said it since the playoffs. The guy is a great player all around. Would hate to lose someone like that.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
As i said before i'm willing to let Orlov go if it means resigning Oshie. Name someone who can fill that spot. Orlov can be replaced. We got some nice defenseman waiting in the wings.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Don't get me wrong I don't hate Orlov. But what are you going to do? Keep giving him one year deals like Semin.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
If we hold on that's 5 wins in a row. Pretty impressive winning streak.

However, it's a really weird streak. Seems like we aren't on a winning streak at all really. We win - but haven't been hot you could say at all that most teams are on streaks. This team is weird.

I'm not sure how to feel either. I'm happy we're winning and I'm happy we're getting lots of even strength production instead of relying on the PP. It's just weird to have no PP production and still win.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
How much cap would we have is Orpik leaves. And how much do you think Kuzy, Alzber, Oshie, and Orlov demand.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
How much cap would we have is Orpik leaves. And how much do you think Kuzy, Alzber, Oshie, and Orlov demand.

Orpiks hit is 5.5

Here's my guesses:

Kuzy 6-7 per year long term
Alzner around 4.75 long term
Oshie 6 million long term
Orlov 3.5 on a mid level deal like 3 years.

Just my guesses.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I've never been a big Mojo fan, but tonight he looked like the best player on the ice (live). I'm not sure how it looked on camera but he was, early on, one of the only guys battling and not making crappy passes to no one. I'm not sure why everyone's killing Orlov in here, felt Carlson had a brutal game and besides a pinch or two, Orlov was solid. Orpik and Schmidt were great as well, really encouraging to see. Kuzya is still essentially invisible, its really disheartening to see. I think if he continues that play, it makes resigning Oshie much much easier. With his current play I don't see Kuzya getting much more then 4 or 4.5 for 3 this off season. On the reverse, Oshie is killing it and I could see someone hitting him for close to 7 if he hits free agency. Part of me hopes we can get him for a 5 for 5.5 deal but I feel its super unlikely.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
90 definitely playing the best hockey of his life. Awesome to see a guy get a nice contract and look to outperform it right out of the gates. That said, wouldn't surprise me if his patented scoreless streak popped up quickly. Lol....

Another leap forward year from 90 would help offset the disappointment of 92 so far.

Orlov has been fine, and Orpik good....Carlson by far the worst on the blue line so far.

A 3 or 4 year deal for Kuzy might not be a terrible idea unless his price is coming down on a much longer deal.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Last season Mojo and Oshie had roughly the same point per game. If Oshie won't outscore Mojo by big margin (possible) it will be hard to justify getting 7M or smth.

With current Mojo's contract we are sitting pretty. There is a ceiling for top-6/top-9 complimentary wingers on a team.

They both score many points @ PP and they have to thank Ovechkin and Backstrom for that. There is no way Oshie is worth more than 6M for Caps and GMBM has to manage the situation accordingly. Foligno's 5,5M long contract is something I'd consider. But shorter :P

PS: The reason we got Johansson signed for less is his ties with the team. I do believe he's fully comfortable here with and behind Backstrom (and in turn Ovechkin). If he can score 60 points instead of 50 - it's a steal totally. But won't matter much unless we're winning something bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad