Carter vs Kostitsyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
SportBoy said:
2003 10th pick Kostitsyn, 11 Jeff Carter... Does the Montreal Canadiens made a error there?

Yes.

But Carter has improved more than anyone (even the Flyers) expected. Sure the Habs would rather have Jeff today, but Kots is still a decent prospect and signing with Hamilton proves he's ready to commit to the North American game. He could still turn out to be an elite scorer.

MontrealCruiser_83*

Vlad The Impaler said:
Don't swallow Woodlief's crap . Kostitsyn was never a 1st overall talent, with or without the injury concern. In fact, even perfectly healthy, he's not even one of the ten best prospects out of this draft, much less the top player.

He's still very good, though. But so are many players in this draft.
McGuire said something similar during the USA-Belarus game... word for word: Had it not been for his health problems he would of gone in the top-3.

I'm going to agree on some parts though. I personally doubt that he would of gone in the top-5 let alone first overall had it not been for the epileptic symptoms. He simply had not proved enough before the draft to be considered an elite prospect. He was considered a gamble pick and, 18 months later, still is.

--------

I really find it humourous how many people on this message board think of themselves as pro-scouts. C'mon, half you guys have watched less then 5 games of your favorite prospects yet you make it sound like you know them inside out. How's this for an idea... Wait til the kid has played in the NHL for a full season. Until then, let the scouts who analyze youngsters in the lower ranks as a career make the calls rather then an arm-chair GM that so many of you are becoming since the start of the lockout (and even a bit before that).

sundaystar

Feb 13, 2003
Canada
Visit site
MontrealCruiser_83 said:
I really find it humourous how many people on this message board think of themselves as pro-scouts. C'mon, half you guys have watched less then 5 games of your favorite prospects yet you make it sound like you know them inside out. How's this for an idea... Wait til the kid has played in the NHL for a full season. Until then, let the scouts who analyze youngsters in the lower ranks as a career make the calls rather then an arm-chair GM that so many of you are becoming since the start of the lockout (and even a bit before that).

finally someone i agree with

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
MontrealCruiser_83 said:
McGuire said something similar during the USA-Belarus game... word for word: Had it not been for his health problems he would of gone in the top-3.

).

Even when he is doing "reasonably" good broadcasting doesn't he tend to overstate the value of the player he is discussing...unless he's tearing him down.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
MentalPowerHouse said:
Kostitsyn sucks, I watch practically every home game of his and he's brutal. Maybe he has skills, but he falls over if you sneeze on him. He's not going anywhere until he hardens up.
I'd like to see Carter as a 19 year old in the AHL, hed be on his end too. One thing i learned about prospect is not to judge them after a couple games or even a year. Habs fans know what i'm talking about (RYDER). Stupid post here my man...

FlyersFan10*

jcpenny said:
I'd like to see Carter as a 19 year old in the AHL, hed be on his end too. One thing i learned about prospect is not to judge them after a couple games or even a year. Habs fans know what i'm talking about (RYDER). Stupid post here my man...

Actually, Carter has spent time in the AHL as a 19 year old. During the Philadelphia Phantom's playoff run last year, Carter was there. And as what coach John Stevens said, Carter was probably the best player on the Phantoms team. Carter didn't end up on his backside and actually played really really well. Let's remember, that Kostitsyn is barely over 6 feet while Carter is 6'4 tall and probably has about 20 to 30 pounds on Kostitsyn

Kasparov*

Why just Carter and Kost? im sure teams picking before montreal would also rather have Carter...

At the time, when Flyers picked Carter, i rememeber it was sort of a shock because he ws projected for the late 1st round early 2nd.... so turning around and saying this as if you all knew is a little weird i think

gabpas

Jan 25, 2003
Aylmer
Visit site
Carter. Full marks to the Flyers scouting staff. His game is better suited to the NHL. He will look awful good in a Flyers uniform. And his size and skill sets would be perfect for Montreal. Remember most of the teams in the east have strong physical centers and you need one to get out of the division. I am still not sold on Kostitsyn and I just think Montreal really went on a limb here.

Ross MacLochness

Aug 12, 2004
Toronto
This place is always good for a laugh.

1 and 1/2 years after the draft and Montreal made a huge mistake? Oh my gratious.

"Hab Haters-R-us, how may I direct your call?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad