Carson Soucy to have a hearing for Cross-check to Connor McDavid - suspended 1 game (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
That would make too much sense. I guess it’s ok for Ike Turner to try and boot a guy with his skate after he gets flattened with a clean hit. It’s ok for Derek Ryan to spear a guy in the balls. It’s ok for Connor H Macy to try and take out the opposing captain’s eye with his stick. It’s ok k for Ike Turner to slewfoot players with full immunity. It’s quite a league. It makes the CFL officiating look competent. I’m curious if Angel Hernandez can skate. He’d fit right in.

f***ing lost it at Ike Turner 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Do we have some other angles of it other than that top one. I'm an Oiler fan but I'm willing to hear the argument. Based on what I saw of it, it was a glancing blow and not nearly as bad as the Zadorov-Soucy double team job on McDavid. Not even close to the same.
In what universe is this "glancing" cause I don't think it's the one we all live in

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hyman went straight for the head on a much taller player, showing clear intent (and caused damage while doing so, no less). Soucy went for the chest and caught McDavid in the chin because his head was suddenly much lower than expected. I know I'm biased as a Vancouver fan, but how does that not make Hyman's much worse?
First off, if what Soucy did was intentional then he'd be suspended for the whole series. It having an accident element to it doesn't forgive it though.

Like I said on Hyman, I need that other angle. I googled it but only saw that one angle where it is hard to tell just how bad it is. Its not even clear that its the stick that makes his head move.

There's no room for doubt on the double check on McDavid.

In what universe is this "glancing" cause I don't think it's the one we all live in

It looks like it's to the chest to me tbh. Where's the better angle? I don't even see his head move

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Zadorov required stitches for the crosscheck, how is that better?
Based on their justification for Soucy’s suspension, Hyman should get the same. They’ll never say it out loud but dollars to donuts says that they viewed it as FAFO for Z’s original cross check from behind. This isn’t trolling or homerism, either - my point is that their inconsistent evaluation criteria is even more subjective, ad hoc, and inscrutable than we think.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Based on their justification for Soucy’s suspension, Hyman should get the same. They’ll never say it out loud but dollars to donuts says that they viewed it as FAFO for Z’s original cross check from behind. This isn’t trolling or homerism, either - my point is that their inconsistent evaluation criteria is even more subjective, ad hoc, and inscrutable than we think.
Chances are you are right.

The NHL needs to clean house and set some standards in reffing and player discipline. No questions about it. The reffing this year has been complete trash and players are getting hurt from retribution from a direct lack of control the refs have on the ice.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
First off, if what Soucy did was intentional then he'd be suspended for the whole series. It having an accident element to it doesn't forgive it though.

Like I said on Hyman, I need that other angle. I googled it but only saw that one angle where it is hard to tell just how bad it is. Its not even clear that its the stick that makes his head move.

There's no room for doubt on the double check on McDavid.

It looks like it's to the chest to me tbh. Where's the better angle? I don't even see his head move
If he needed stiches afterwards, how could it not have hit him in the head?

This slows it down a lot more:

rea

Feb 8, 2011
I think as canucks fans, personally speaking, what's done is done. Ruling is out, live with it, move on. Big game tmw. Debating semantics with the Oilers fans will provide lil fruit for either side, as it won't be a view either will agree with. So let's agree to disagree.

Better things to discuss in the series for both sides, which will matter tm, like goaltending and special teams. Going back and forth about whose fanbase whines more about refs and calls is lollerskates, but I'm sure there are other divisive things to disagree on 😁

This thread should just die and everyone move back to main one and talk shit so I can fill it up with gifs and memes 🤣

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think as canucks fans, personally speaking, what's done is done. Ruling is out, live with it, move on. Big game tmw. Debating semantics with the Oilers fans will provide lil fruit for either side, as it won't be a view either will agree with. So let's agree to disagree.

Better things to discuss in the series for both sides, which will matter tm, like goaltending and special teams. Going back and forth about whose fanbase whines more about refs and calls is lollerskates, but I'm sure there are other divisive things to disagree on 😁

This thread should just die and everyone move back to main one and talk shit so I can fill it up with gifs and memes 🤣

Mature response!

But I’d be pissed AF. Much worse has happened, this is just trying to balance the series in my neutral opinion. Honestly rooting for Edmonton, actually, but you can’t tell me this is worse than Benn or Bennett.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
As a Canucks fan and McDavid hater the ruling was fair.

Regardless of what big Z did or anything else that was happening. Soucy put his stick up and it ended up in CM97s face which should be an automatic suspension.

The fact he chopped Hughes in the face previously shouldn’t play a factor It just show what a gutless punk he is when losing.

Go Canucks.

Reactions: nucks88

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
All sticks use high, with both hands on stick, should have "ZERO" tolerance rules.

But...... NHL, E$PN, and other media mediums love this stuff. Even this NHL website here probably loves traffic gotten from chaos, controversy, and look forward to traffic debates causes. The numbers of clicks probably helps pay-the-bills, Wresting figured that out long ago before the net existed. Today's sports is on slippery slope of becoming WWE like.....

If NHL cared about player safety: they'd treat every crosschecks to neck/head/face area (Like Kucherov took during 1st round) more serious. Plus, they'd treat all of hits to head, face, and neck the same. We all might have some consistency, but players are expendable though. Especially players who tell leagues about "Their #1 BS" when holding big mic. But....... to be fair, Kuch waited until he got FU "Cup"money. Kuch waiting unti then doesn't carry as much weight -vs- Kucherov doing that when he had even more to lose before "Cups". So everyone keep fighting back and forth every time these double standards pop up. Only thing that changes each fightning occurance, is what fanbase is on top next go around (Sorta like marriage.... :P). It quite the spectacle to witnness fans relentously fighting back & forth each time this happens, but higher-ups know what strings to pull. Don't they?

EDIT: After looking at this inicdent more: I don't think Canucks player meant to hit his neck. That late cross check in back changed things in a blink of an eye. This matters but "ZERO" tolorance would take care of this. Wouldn't it?

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Mature response!

But I’d be pissed AF. Much worse has happened, this is just trying to balance the series in my neutral opinion. Honestly rooting for Edmonton, actually, but you can’t tell me this is worse than Benn or Bennett.
It's definitely not as bad as bennetts I believe, and I have my own opinions from the things that happened from game 2. Having said that, the NHL doesn't care about my feelings or yours, and their justice is absolute, so crying about it from either side really does absolutely nothing.

Beat way I can put it is like, you're driving along and someone cuts you off and you go batshit mad. Honking and road raging. Now this guy has just ruined your day cuz that's all you think about or talk about, but to the guy that did it, he's shaken for a moment, and you're an afterthought to him, life goes on. This is everyone in here atm lol. Y'all are the road ragers haha. And the NHL is the guy that doesn't give a f***🤭

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As of this morning, I was still convinced that this decision was 100% about optics and was pretty indefensible. To me, it was like how a hit to the head is not illegal if the head materially changes position right before impact. Soucy did not intend to hit McDavid in the face, so why would he be suspended?

However, I missed the nuance that while intent and change of position of a player is a factor in determining when a play is illegal, it doesn't really matter in the aftermath of a play that was unarguably illegal in the first place. McDavid does slash the shit out of Soucy, which is clearly illegal, but it has no consequence and so is never going to garner any kind of punishment. Soucy then goes to give a routine cross-check, which is also clearly illegal. Even though what happened is an accident, players are fully responsible for any outcome, no matter how unlucky, if they are intentionally doing something illegal.

That all makes sense and checks out. What brings everything full circle around back to "this is all about optics" is the fact that the word is that they did look at Hyman's crosscheck, but did not make a decision to go after it in any way. It completely undermines the idea that cross-checking someone in the face is crossing the line. There is no difference in terms of situation or result between the two, so it just ends up coming back to it not being about what was done, but who it was done to.

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
How in the literal f*** does Soucy get a game but Hyman gets absolutely nothing in that sequence? Give me an absolute break with this crap. Especially after the spearing that was allowed to slide by with 2 minutes, the missed double minor high stick, and Kane accidentally/on purpose slewfooting Hughes in Game 2. Pathetic.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
One last thought on all this. Not many fans here will call Kucherov's 1st rd neck crosscheck out, like they've done with other incidents/players listed in this thread, Why? >>>> Because many fans are no better than NHL/Refs/E$PN they themselves call out for bias, unfairness, consistency, etc. Like NHL, E$PN, and others: With many fans it's the..."Who" and not the.... "What" that guides them. Now back to having fun within an ever circle of going nowhere everyone.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
How in the literal f*** does Soucy get a game but Hyman gets absolutely nothing in that sequence? Give me an absolute break with this crap. Especially after the spearing that was allowed to slide by with 2 minutes, the missed double minor high stick, and Kane accidentally/on purpose slewfooting Hughes in Game 2. Pathetic.

Because the quality of the video on the Hyman incident is awful and you can't clearly see much. If there was a clear as day video much like what happened to McDavid, and it was as bad, I'm sure he would have been suspended. I think that's all there is to it. There's no special NHL DOPS agenda. We all know they just flip a coin on this stuff anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad