Carson Soucy to have a hearing for Cross-check to Connor McDavid - suspended 1 game (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Yea, if it was the 80s I’d expect a Messier elbow to Hughes’ head, but that doesn’t really happen anymore. Arguably the refs will call things tighter to prevent anything from happening in game 4, which should benefit Edmonton so they should be happy
They aren't really showing too much of that, EP has been tapped on the head a couple of times and a stick to the face?
No telling what Zadorov will do now, as it should be, waiting for a response can be worse than the response itself.
Hyman does make it easy to get at him in front of the net. A 120 flex stick might not break or bend. Ribs?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
They aren't really showing too much of that, EP has been tapped on the head a couple of times and a stick to the face?
No telling what Zadorov will do now, as it should be, waiting for a response can be worse than the response itself.
Hyman does make it easy to get at him in front of the net. A 120 flex stick might not break or bend. Ribs?
Yeah, that's the dirty response I would expect. Intent to injure and all that.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Sure but you’re an Oilers fan. Your view would carry more weight if you posted about Pettersson having his head driven into the boards or the nut shot to Hoglander. Fans only get outraged when it happens to their team.
Not picking on just you but most fans, including myself, view things that way.
I agree, if someone hits someone in a vulnerable position it is a bad play no matter who it is but hits are a bit different, they are usually at high speed during play and are a legal play in hockey and sometimes a guys positioning can make a hit worse as well. I have seen Oilers take questionable hits and don't comment on those either because I think a lot of guys stupidity position themselves in unsafe ways to take hits and a lot even purposely try to embellish the hit by turning towards the boards as well, even Oiler players sometimes. I am not saying Pettersson was doing that, I just don't care too much about hits during play compared then a crosscheck to the face.

Crosschecking someone in the face is one of the most vicious and stupid things any hockey player can do.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Doesn't sound like the NHL is looking at it. He was coming in to defend his teammate. Shouldn't have had the stick up, but his was in defense, which could explain why they are not looking at it.
Wait. It was in defense of what? Was he threatened? Him going into the scrum was defensive act in itself, this was an offensive attack. 😁

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I recall wanting every player protected from stupid injurious plays, and a desire for every official to call the same game for every team in every period in both regular season and playoffs. I do not recall a desire for an NBA style double tiered system for the stars vs the rest of the league, no.

There were people specifically speaking about protecting star players.

I mean, we saw Gretzky and Lemieux hobbled for years. Lost Lindros and Kariya prematurely. Lost several of Crosby's prime years. While it would be nice to protect all players....it is the stars who are most frequently have the "contain by all means necessary" tactics employed against them.

Sometimes it is also from their own style of play too....others not. But it doesn't change what I said either.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If McDavid wants to take cheap slashes after the game he should expect to be roughed up.
His constant whining to the refs is embarrassing. Just play hockey like the other stars.
Normally my old schoolness would lead me to stand on the side of the offending party, but I can’t do it here. If 97 threw a cheap slash, cheap slash him back. This is a cross check to the face. Those aren’t samesies. It doesn’t matter what you believe Soucy’s intent was. He extended his arms straight forward and high, he was going to catch him high in the chest at best. That’s a big time shot that can easily go wrong, and if you believe there’s no intent it clearly went wrong. What matters is the result not the intent here.

The result was a pretty nasty cross check to the chops. I like Soucy, but he deserves this. If you want to fine 97 for a slash then go ahead. The cross check to the face has to be dealt with.

Why the cross check? What doesn’t anyone just take the other hand off the stick and shove the guy anymore? The cross checks are out of hand and now Soucy has put himself in a position to be made an example of. If you think Zads should pay Soucy some cash for helping him lose some income and time then so be it….but Soucy had a lot of other options besides straight up extending hard into a cross check. If he had just grabbed 97 by the collar and punched him in the face I’d probably be fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad