OT: Cars

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Auf have you ever gone to Mazda dealer to text drive a Miata? You may really enjoy it.
No. I’m sure it’s fun but the lack of space might be impractical if I ever have to move.

The Golf R has everything but I can’t get past the 19” wheels. The CPO one I found already had a dented wheel because the tires are like 1mm thick. Such a dumb trend in cars.

1713871979028.png

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
These are brilliant but don't get the RF model unless you have no garage and you live in a snowy winter climate. There is a wind buffeting issue.

Depending on how you feel about warranty, put a colored wrap on it to overcome the bland-ass colors Mazda offers from factory (except Mazda's red crystal, which looks terrific) and maybe swap out the exhaust and you're good to go. They are an unbelievable joy to drive and the closest thing to a S2000 you can get today.

EDIT: and heaven forbid don't you dare get an auto in a Miata. Never ever ever.
What’s the RF model? I don’t have a garage, and I live an hour northwest of Manhattan.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
No. I’m sure it’s fun but the lack of space might be impractical if I ever have to move.

The Golf R has everything but I can’t get past the 19” wheels. The CPO one I found already had a dented wheel because the tires are like 1mm thick. Such a dumb trend in cars.

View attachment 858106
Interesting someone once asked something like that to me with my Miata. I said if I have to move something its a 1 day event so I rent or borrow a truck. I preferred to drive what I like 365 days a year. Not pushing you though. Miatas are not for everyone. They are well made though. Always felt like they were a bargain. Always enjoyed driving them despite my history in Vettes and Porsche.

It's the removable hardtop, as opposed to the convertible soft top
Some Miata board people love the RF but its not for me. Guess I'm old school 😊

What’s the RF model? I don’t have a garage, and I live an hour northwest of Manhattan.
One negative of a drop top is they can be cut in high crime areas. Happened to me back around 1994.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Interesting someone once asked something like that to me with my Miata. I said if I have to move something its a 1 day event so I rent or borrow a truck. I preferred to drive what I like 365 days a year. Not pushing you though. Miatas are not for everyone. They are well made though. Always felt like they were a bargain. Always enjoyed driving them despite my history in Vettes and Porsche.
Exactly.

Anyone that can afford a Miata can afford to borrow and/or rent a truck for the day. The soft top issue is a real one if you have no garage but the lack of storage isn't an issue unless you have kids and don't have a second car.
Nope, you're right and they're wrong lol
One negative of a drop top is they can be cut in high crime areas. Happened to me back around 1994.
I'm one of those not-rich guys that live in a high-income town, so for me that's usually not an issue.

However, I don't have a garage and that is a much bigger one since I live in the NE.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

You were using it as a daily driver?

Exactly.

Anyone that can afford a Miata can afford to borrow and/or rent a truck for the day. The soft top issue is a real one if you have no garage but the lack of storage isn't an issue unless you have kids and don't have a second car.

Nope, you're right and they're wrong lol

I'm one of those not-rich guys that live in a high-income town, so for me that's usually not an issue.

However, I don't have a garage and that is a much bigger one since I live in the NE.
What’s the issue with the soft top and snow?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You were using it as a daily driver?

What’s the issue with the soft top and snow?
Yes Miatas can be driven. Best cars mechanicaly I have owned. Most people daily drive them. Not only built well but also easy to work on.

If the soft top is an issue you can buy a removable hard top for winter months. I never needed a hard top for my 3 miatas.

You can join the Miata forum if you like. I enjoyed it for years. Tons of good information.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yes Miatas can be driven. Best cars mechanicaly I have owned. Most people daily drive them. Not only built well but also easy to work on.

If the soft top is an issue you can buy a removable hard top for winter months. I never needed a hard top for my 3 miatas.

You can join the Miata forum if you like. I enjoyed it for years. Tons of good information.
Didn’t know that. I don’t really trust myself to buy a used car, and buying a new/CPO car 3 years after buying a new car sounds like a poor financial decision. On the other hand I’ve known people that go through cars all the time. I put so many miles on my car I probably won’t have to wait that long for a new one.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Didn’t know that. I don’t really trust myself to buy a used car, and buying a new/CPO car 3 years after buying a new car sounds like a poor financial decision. On the other hand I’ve known people that go through cars all the time. I put so many miles on my car I probably won’t have to wait that long for a new one.
My aunt leases a new car every 3 years. Everyone is different. You know your situation. If a used car makes sense for you maybe you can find someone to help you? Your current car is a "used car". Plenty of used cars are fine. I sold my Miata when I moved. It was my daily driver. It was 17 years old when I sold it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
My aunt leases a new car every 3 years. Everyone is different. You know your situation. If a used car makes sense for you maybe you can find someone to help you? Your current car is a "used car". Plenty of used cars are fine. I sold my Miata when I moved. It was my daily driver. It was 17 years old when I sold it.
Yeah I mean I do know people who could help. I don’t know, the trouble is I’m just bored and I drive a lot.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yeah I mean I do know people who could help. I don’t know, the trouble is I’m just bored and I drive a lot.
Well test drives are free, You can test drive to quench your boredom. Me and my ex used to go window shopping at high end dealerships many weekends with little intent to buy.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This CarFax was looking good until I got to “Transmission replaced”. Why would a well-maintained vehicle’s transmission need replacement at like 45k miles?

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
@Profet thoughts on this GTI? It’s on my way home from work.

I mean... I like it.

Some things to note, it's an Mk7 Autobahn, so it has that weird sensor in the lower grill (Mk7.5 moved the sensor into the VW logo), and it has the smallish infotainment screen that is resistive, rather than capacitive like the Mk7.5).

iu

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
anyone else care an outsized amount about push to start/automatic trunk door? I can't stand those two things.

(for reference, not a car guy... 2017 forester 2.0XT in the premium trim)

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
anyone else care an outsized amount about push to start/automatic trunk door? I can't stand those two things.

(for reference, not a car guy... 2017 forester 2.0XT in the premium trim)
I wouldn't buy a car today without push to start... I have no interest to going back to the days of having to fish out my keys to get going.

Automatic trunk door... meh.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I mean... I like it.

Some things to note, it's an Mk7 Autobahn, so it has that weird sensor in the lower grill (Mk7.5 moved the sensor into the VW logo), and it has the smallish infotainment screen that is resistive, rather than capacitive like the Mk7.5).

iu
It looks like someone moved across the country in it or something, but overall it seems sparingly driven. New brakes.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I mean... I like it.

iu
That auction finished around $15,000 above MSRP.
I'm looking forward to seeing one in person soon.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
GMB7pcgXgAAR6J7.jpg

This is a 3 inch piece of plastic. My local BMW dealership wanted $90 each. I needed 2. I got them from a BMW dealership online for $45 each. My front bumper was torn off by a parking stop. I fixed the right side in 25 minutes with 2 small cuts on my hand. I had never done it before so there was a bit of a learning curve. I will do the left side in a little while. Wish me luck. :)

Reactions: Profet

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
No worries.

On my 2018 GTI Autobahn I run:

BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE980 AS+ 225/40R18 92W XL BL ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE

On the 2017 GTI SE I run:

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT AS4 225/40ZR18 92Y XL BSW UHP ALL SEASON TIRE
Thanks. It makes me nervous looking at the wheels but I guess I can be careful and learn how to change a tire.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
View attachment 859537
This is a 3 inch piece of plastic. My local BMW dealership wanted $90 each. I needed 2. I got them from a BMW dealership online for $45 each. My front bumper was torn off by a parking stop. I fixed the right side in 25 minutes with 2 small cuts on my hand. I had never done it before so there was a bit of a learning curve. I will do the left side in a little while. Wish me luck. :)
Good news is the 2nd side went on around 10 minutes faster since I had experience. Bad news is I broke a small plastic tab to the splash shield. It really does not matter but maybe one day I will try some JB Weld on it. While doing the left side I saw a small screw was missing to my fender. That screw is not needed either but maybe one day I will replace it. Not worth pulling the bumper off again. Anyway my bumper looks good again. :)

Reactions: aufheben

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Thanks. It makes me nervous looking at the wheels but I guess I can be careful and learn how to change a tire.
Everyone really should know how to do this. I know we all have roadside assistance (or you should), but I've been in situations where I had to wait 3 hours for a tow when my gf's timing belt snapped. Anyone can change a tire in less than 15 minutes.

Last flat I got, which was recent 😡, I thought of Ralphie's dad in a Christmas Story when he had his wife time him like he was a member of a pit crew. LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad