Recalled/Assigned: Carrier called up/Bailey sent down

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I've been saying since the prospect polls that Carrier will surprise some people. We'll finally see if that's the case. I still think he can make a bigger impact than hudson.

At this stage, that's damning with faint praise.

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
Great! I think he'll be the best of the call ups this season.

Bold prediction: Carrier finds a role and doesn't go back to Rochester.

Carrier stays, IMO. I have been saying he is the most ready since his injury that hindered his call up last year. I see some Larsson comparisons which are true in some regards. This dude is a Mike Grier guy. Motor never stops, forechecking monster, gets under people's skin. I am really high on this guy and I think he takes this role and runs with it.

Next year
Line4
Baptiste-Asplund-Carrier
That line is all holy hell to deal with. Insane grit, nasty forechecking, chip in points, and can shutdown whatever line they go against.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Bit concerned about Bailey, I'm a big fan of his. They sent him down quickly out of training camp, according to the D&C telling him they want him to work on his defensive game and PK, not so subtly telling him the brass doesn't view him as an NHL top 6 player - so he gets this injury call up, where he plays things safer than he did in last season's callup stint and Bylsma comments he didn't play well enough to stay. Kid's gotta be confused about things now.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
It is good tho we now have a bunch of young pro forwards - Fasching,Bailey,Baptiste,Carrier,Nylander - in a competition for injury callups or a full time role on the Sabres. Apslund, Pu and Estephan in a couple years unless one of them dazzle in next year's pre-season.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Carrier stays, IMO. I have been saying he is the most ready since his injury that hindered his call up last year. I see some Larsson comparisons which are true in some regards. This dude is a Mike Grier guy. Motor never stops, forechecking monster, gets under people's skin. I am really high on this guy and I think he takes this role and runs with it.

Next year
Line4
Baptiste-Asplund-Carrier
That line is all holy hell to deal with. Insane grit, nasty forechecking, chip in points, and can shutdown whatever line they go against.

Assuming Asplund should be in the ahl next year to polish his na game, slide girgs back there. I mean what a problem to deal with. That line would be filthy over a series.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I've been wanting to see Carrier among NHLer's. I was expecting later than this. Glad to see him get a shot. Hopefully its for a 3-4 games.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Glad to see Carrier getting the call up. I'd say it is well deserved.

I think his style of game will fit this team (and the open 4th line spot) nicely. I'm excited to see what he does its this opportunity. Ive been waiting to see him in the Sabres lineup. I think he came close to making the team out of training camp. If he had just a bit better preseason I think he would have. Hopefully he is able to make an impact and earn himself a permanent spot.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Next year
Line4
Baptiste-Asplund-Carrier

@ you and Jame:

I think Carrier can do more. I think Carrier can do nearly everything Girgensons can do at wing and has a better shot.

Carrier - Reinhart - Ennis

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting about disco commenting that Bailey didn't get it done. They have moved him from right wing to left-wing, so there's gonna be some adjustment period. That said I really like the move for what Carrier brings. His abrasive heavier game would fit well on the fourth line.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Bit concerned about Bailey, I'm a big fan of his. They sent him down quickly out of training camp, according to the D&C telling him they want him to work on his defensive game and PK, not so subtly telling him the brass doesn't view him as an NHL top 6 player

I do not necessarily believe that is the case. The simple argument can be made that with Reinhart and Okposo at RW, there will be no spot for a top 6 RW on the sabres for the next 5 years. Therefore if he wants to be on the team, it will have to be in a bottom 6 role, and hence the need to work on those other aspects of his game, which IMHO are currently below Carrier/Fashing/Baptiste.

In 5 years, Okposo will be 33, and at that point one of the RW prospects may be showing enough at the NHL level (on 3rd line duty) to move into that spot. No one said Bailey cannot do it, just to get in position to earn that spot he has to adapt his game to move into a place where he can show it.

For guys of lesser talent like Fashing, Bailey and Baptiste (compared to the likes of Reinhart/Eichel), you just do not waltz into a top 6 role in the NHL. You generally have to prove yourself at the AHL level, as a 4th liner, as a 3rd liner.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
@ you and Jame:

I think Carrier can do more. I think Carrier can do nearly everything Girgensons can do at wing and has a better shot.

Carrier - Reinhart - Ennis

I want to see him with a consistent 4th line NHL role going forward, and with that I think he will earn more/prove he can do more.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Seems kind of harsh to be calling Bailey out. That makes me wonder if he's been especially difficult or shown an attitude lately.

Perhaps they want to see how he reacts - catches a fire or breaks mentally. Perhaps Bailey got a bit too comfortable with his late season success last year?

It's Carrier's last waiver exempt year. It's time to see how his game translates into NHL.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I think part of Bailey's problem if there is one is the pressure/expectations he feels as a hometown kid. His connection to the Sabres is different than the other prospects, he's out in the community all summer with fans and kids treating him like a Sabres star already. He's got a ton of friends and family at every game, he doesn't want to let them down. So when he gets sent down to Rochester I don't think he can hide how disappointed he is and to Bylsma and Murray that probably looks immature or spoiled.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I think part of Bailey's problem if there is one is the pressure/expectations he feels as a hometown kid. His connection to the Sabres is different than the other prospects, he's out in the community all summer with fans and kids treating him like a Sabres star already. He's got a ton of friends and family at every game, he doesn't want to let them down. So when he gets sent down to Rochester I don't think he can hide how disappointed he is and to Bylsma and Murray that probably looks immature or spoiled.

Maybe I'm mistaken .... but I would think that having a lot of friends/family in the stands would make him want to go thru a wall and play lights out. He apparently didn't do that in the eyes of management/coaches.

Bu-bye Bailey. Go back to Roch and be one of the top forwards and hope for another shot in a few months.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Bit concerned about Bailey, I'm a big fan of his. They sent him down quickly out of training camp, according to the D&C telling him they want him to work on his defensive game and PK, not so subtly telling him the brass doesn't view him as an NHL top 6 player - so he gets this injury call up, where he plays things safer than he did in last season's callup stint and Bylsma comments he didn't play well enough to stay. Kid's gotta be confused about things now.

I mean, Okposo and Reinhart are our top 6 RWs for the foreseeable future. Which is probably why they've had Bailey playing on his off side (LW). I don't think he's played LW before, so it'll probably take him some time to adjust.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Maybe I'm mistaken .... but I would think that having a lot of friends/family in the stands would make him want to go thru a wall and play lights out. He apparently didn't do that in the eyes of management/coaches.

Bu-bye Bailey. Go back to Roch and be one of the top forwards and hope for another shot in a few months.

I didn't see lack of effort, to me it looked like he was trying to play a defensively responsible game and never got to show any of his offensive game. He's in the top 3 or 4 fastest skaters in the organization - Eichel, Kane, Bailey and supposedly Nylander has elite speed but I really haven't noticed it yet.

I'm fine with him being sent down, Carrier deserves his chance too especially since this is his final season he's waiver exempt.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I think we should be concerned with what's going on in Rochester, they are being outshot nightly by ridiculous margins - worse than the Sabres in their deliberate tank seasons. It's not like there's no talent down there.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I think we should be concerned with what's going on in Rochester, they are being outshot nightly by ridiculous margins - worse than the Sabres in their deliberate tank seasons. It's not like there's no talent down there.

We have zero defensive depth.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Carrier could be a quality role player at the next level, yes. He impressed. Hopefully he gets some more TOI moving forward here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad