Recalled/Assigned: Carrier called up/Bailey sent down

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Only played 6 minutes last night but his last couple shifts showed some great wheels and smarts in the Sabres victory last night. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see him more as the season progresses.

This team really needs speed too.

As many said last summer, he's been our most NHL-ready prospect. Not the most talented or skilled, but he plays a 200' game and has had time to hone his craft at the pro level. I hope he sticks. I'd much rather watch him than Deslauriers.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What he looked, really, was well prepared. Ive always felt he would be a guy who would be hard to send back once he finally got a look because of the way he attacks the game. Only one 6 minute night so far but he looked exactly like that. His future is as a smart 4th line energy guy on a stacked team so it's a matter of how long they want to be giving him bigger minutes in Rochester before he settles into it. But he's going to offer more than Deslauriers does when he gets there. Des is a guy who should only play 6 minutes. In the future with some of these guys with more upside as they start taking the step hopefully we will be able to roll them longer and make guys like RoR not have to play 23 minutes and instead be more effective for 19-20

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Not that I want to disagree too vehemently about the ideas that:
a) Carrier might be good
b) Des is bad

but I find it worth pointing out, that when Des was Carrier's current age, he scored 18 goals and had 21 assists in the AHL in his first full season as a forward. My point is, it is hard to score in the NHL, so don't expect Carrier to light it up offensively. He could be a very good grinder. And yes, I agree that Des shouldn't sniff the ice again this season unless injuries force it.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Not that I want to disagree too vehemently about the ideas that:
a) Carrier might be good
b) Des is bad

but I find it worth pointing out, that when Des was Carrier's current age, he scored 18 goals and had 21 assists in the AHL in his first full season as a forward. My point is, it is hard to score in the NHL, so don't expect Carrier to light it up offensively. He could be a very good grinder. And yes, I agree that Des shouldn't sniff the ice again this season unless injuries force it.

I don't think the expectation should be that carrier can score 10 a year compared to des with 2-4.

Instead the idea is that carrier has much more ability to not kill plays with a lack of skills or iq. He should have a better ability to be a part of strong fore check to cycle 4th line.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I don't think the expectation should be that carrier can score 10 a year compared to des with 2-4.

Instead the idea is that carrier has much more ability to not kill plays with a lack of skills or iq. He should have a better ability to be a part of strong fore check to cycle 4th line.

I agree with this. We have a tendency to create crushing expectations though.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I take that idea up a notch: he doesn't kill plays and has hockey IQ. But his eventual spot should be on Reinhart's wing.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I agree with this. We have a tendency to create crushing expectations though.

Not just talking about carrier here ... And I think the uninformed have a tendency to create crushing expectations. The expectations based on draft position at first. Followed by contract they received.

ZOMG first rounders should make the team immediately and scorrrre like at least 60 points or there's a problem with him.

ZOMG he got that contract? Well, then I expect him to get like 70-80 points. And if he's a defenseman he better be a +30.

On to Carrier. If he develops into a solid two way bottom 6'er, effective on the forcheck and PK's even better than say Kaleta, AND pots in 15-20 points. That's a jackpot.

^ THAT isn't crushing expectations.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I really like the idea of having a youthful skilled fourth line. The days of having a bunch of goons and scrubs on the fourth line should be over. Bailey, Fasching, Carrier, Grant, are all perfect for that role IMO. I guess the only downside is not getting top 6 minutes and stunting their progress perhaps?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad