GDT: carphi 7:30pm

5-1 loss

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Emerging as Best 3rd pair we've had In RBA’s tenure.

Slavin-Burns has been bad several games now.

I hate to say it but Slavin looks to be going through the motions right now. Gets the puck and just looks to aerial flip it to center ice and get his change in. I'm wondering aloud if his concussion in the playoffs is affecting him. He doesn't seem to have his heart in it.

Burns looks a weee bit old. Maybe get with Jarvis on intermittent fasting and stop playing with your snake pit so much?

That's the thing though...it's rare for a team to be firing on all cylinders. So I'm just here to enjoy the wins and see pugboy grow.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Chatfield should be extended, but not because he is a true top-4 guy, but rather because he's by far the most stable 3rd pair player that we've had in years. If Pesce is out-priced in UFA, I would still want someone like Tanev signed as a short-term bridge player to (potentially) a younger, in-house successor.
I'm sorry, but anyone who wants Pesce extended has me baffled. As if we're each watching a different 22 out there. But carry-on.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Since were about 1/4 of the way through the season, I thought I'd look at where each player is at production wise.

What I did in this table is calculate the Goals/Game and Points/Game for each player. I then assumed they scored at the same rates for the remaining 61 game and added it to their totals to date, so it's not an "82 game" rate, it's the max number of games they could play this year given some players missed time already. I know not every player will play all 61 games and I know players won't score at the same rate, but I wanted to get a feel for how far below or above expectations players currently were.

They're projections based on this method. Red is where I think they are lower than I would expect. Green is higher than I'd expect (some personal bias probably in there).

Aho: 22G, 83P
Jarvis: 35G, 70P (My expectations are more 25/50 for this year)
TT: 39G, 62P. (TT is still a 70-80 point player IMO)
KK: 31G, 59P (I would have expected about 50P for him so slightly high on points)
Bunting: 20G, 57P
Necas: 23G, 55P
Skjei: 12G, 55P
Svech: 6G, 55P (very small sample to make projection)
Noesen: 23G, 43P
Slavin: 12G, 43P
Burns: 20G, 35P
TDA: 5G, 34P (not RED because expectations based on how used)
Orlov: 4G, 31P
Staal: 4G, 23P
Fast: 8G, 20P
Martinook: 0G, 20P
Chatfield: 5G, 19P
Drury: 4G, 16P
Lemieux: 16G, 16P (very small sample to make projection)
Pesce: 6G, 11P (smaller sample due to injury)

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Since were about 1/4 of the way through the season, I thought I'd look at where each player is at production wise.

What I did in this table is calculate the Goals/Game and Points/Game for each player. I then assumed they scored at the same rates for the remaining 61 game and added it to their totals to date, so it's not an "82 game" rate, it's the max number of games they could play this year given some players missed time already. I know not every player will play all 61 games and I know players won't score at the same rate, but I wanted to get a feel for how far below or above expectations players currently were.

They're projections based on this method. Red is where I think they are lower than I would expect. Green is higher than I'd expect (some personal bias probably in there).

Aho: 22G, 83P
Jarvis: 35G, 70P (My expectations are more 25/50 for this year)
TT: 39G, 62P. (TT is still a 70-80 point player IMO)
KK: 31G, 59P (I would have expected about 50P for him so slightly high on points)
Bunting: 20G, 57P
Necas: 23G, 55P
Skjei: 12G, 55P
Svech: 6G, 55P (very small sample to make projection)
Noesen: 23G, 43P
Slavin: 12G, 43P
Burns: 20G, 35P
TDA: 5G, 34P (not RED because expectations based on how used)
Orlov: 4G, 31P
Staal: 4G, 23P
Fast: 8G, 20P
Martinook: 0G, 20P
Chatfield: 5G, 19P
Drury: 4G, 16P
Lemieux: 16G, 16P (very small sample to make projection)
Pesce: 6G, 11P (smaller sample due to injury)

I like the Christmas theme.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Chatfield should be extended, but not because he is a true top-4 guy, but rather because he's by far the most stable 3rd pair player that we've had in years. If Pesce is out-priced in UFA, I would still want someone like Tanev signed as a short-term bridge player to (potentially) a younger, in-house successor.
Many keep saying Chatfield isn't a true top 4 guy. All I've seen from Chat is positive. To your point he's easily been our best 3rd pair defenseman we've had in the past decade. And in the few times he has been called upon to play a bigger role he has looked like he belongs. I'm not saying he's definitely a top 4 caliber D man and we should trade Pesce and immediately slot him in up there, but I think he could be a top 4 D man if given the opportunity.

If Pesce does price himself out of here as is expected, I think it would be completely reasonable to give Chat a shot at replacing him. If it doesn't work out we can make a move and try something else but I would not write him off as a longer term option in the top 4.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I sometimes forget that Chatfield is only 1.5 years younger than Pesce. Less mileage for sure, but at this age, will he be willing to sign for what the Canes would want to sign him for? I clearly don't know what he's thinking, but he continues to play the way he has been, this would be his best chance for a big payday and I'd go for it.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I sometimes forget that Chatfield is only 1.5 years younger than Pesce. Less mileage for sure, but at this age, will he be willing to sign for what the Canes would want to sign him for? I clearly don't know what he's thinking, but he continues to play the way he has been, this would be his best chance for a big payday and I'd go for it.
I think it all depends on what motivates him. Money? By all means get that bag. But we offer him a good chance to win, stability of knowing what to expect and with his team mates, and he wouldn't have to move. I'd love to keep him if he wants to stay.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Chats isnt young but I'll be honest, in terms of ROI, hes a better sign than Pesce when you have orlov for 2 (If he continues to not suck ass) And re- sign skjei. Let pesce walk.

Nikishin coming changes things too.

Agree on Slavin just kind of being Meh.

I think it all depends on what motivates him. Money? By all means get that bag. But we offer him a good chance to win, stability of knowing what to expect and with his team mates, and he wouldn't have to move. I'd love to keep him if he wants to stay.
I kind of wonder this too. Its kind of why I dont want to see him in the press box. Keep him happy and extend him early get it over with. He's a solid 3rd pair guy for cheap? Yes.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Sure, but unlike guys like Pesce and Skjei, where they've already made $26M and $31M respectively in their career, Chatfield has probably made less than $2M (given most of his time until last season was in the minors). I know that seems like a lot to many of us, but with agents, escrow, taxes, etc...it's not as much as we'd like to think

Guys like Pesce and Skjei who've made a lot of money, it can be a different equation. If another team offers him more money and a longer term deal, I know I'd leave in a heartbeat. He may never get a better chance.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
It's not so much Pesce's age that concerns me but his injury history, play style, and us already seeing hints of decline. He just seems like the exact type of D man whose play will fall off a cliff, hard, at like 34 or 35. I'm a huge fan of him and hope he can continue to play at a high level until 40 or however long he wants but I just don't see that as particularly likely. Plus reports are he wants 7 or 8 years. If we could keep him for 4 or less I'd do it even for a high cap hit, but doesn't seem like he'll consider that short of term, and I absolutely don't blame him.

Chatfield has been great on the 3rd pair but I'm not so sure he's done enough to earn a big payday as a UFA, certainly not big $ and big term. He could probably get like $10M over 4 years from some team if he does want to just get as much as he can right now and take the guaranteed $, but if I were him I'd focus much more on opportunity than maximizing $ right now. I'd bet on myself given a top 4 opportunity on a shorter deal to then get a bigger payday after proving myself there. Who knows what his risk tolerance is here and what motivates him, but I could absolutely see us keeping him on a 1 or 2 year deal while giving him the first stab at replacing Pesce. Will depend what our other options are and we'll hopefully have Morrow signed and in the fold who could earn minutes over Chat but with the way Burns trending too we may have a couple top 4 slots up for grabs and I can see the team thinking Chat is an option there. 2 years, $2.25M/yr seems pretty fair and he still gets a big payday relative to his previous contracts. And if he proves himself to be top 4 in 2 years he'd still be under 30 and could get a bigger contract with some term too.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It's not so much Pesce's age that concerns me but his injury history, play style, and us already seeing hints of decline. He just seems like the exact type of D man whose play will fall off a cliff, hard, at like 34 or 35. I'm a huge fan of him and hope he can continue to play at a high level until 40 or however long he wants but I just don't see that as particularly likely. Plus reports are he wants 7 or 8 years. If we could keep him for 4 or less I'd do it even for a high cap hit, but doesn't seem like he'll consider that short of term, and I absolutely don't blame him.
My age comment wasn't meant to be about him slowing down/injuries, etc.. It was more about contracts. Chatfield will be 28 to end the season so he may not have many other chances to cash in.
Chatfield has been great on the 3rd pair but I'm not so sure he's done enough to earn a big payday as a UFA, certainly not big $ and big term. He could probably get like $10M over 4 years from some team if he does want to just get as much as he can right now and take the guaranteed $, but if I were him I'd focus much more on opportunity than maximizing $ right now. I'd bet on myself given a top 4 opportunity on a shorter deal to then get a bigger payday after proving myself there. Who knows what his risk tolerance is here and what motivates him, but I could absolutely see us keeping him on a 1 or 2 year deal while giving him the first stab at replacing Pesce. Will depend what our other options are and we'll hopefully have Morrow signed and in the fold who could earn minutes over Chat but with the way Burns trending too we may have a couple top 4 slots up for grabs and I can see the team thinking Chat is an option there. 2 years, $2.25M/yr seems pretty fair and he still gets a big payday relative to his previous contracts. And if he proves himself to be top 4 in 2 years he'd still be under 30 and could get a bigger contract with some term too.
Sure, that's possible, it's the risk tradeoff. None of us know how he'll react so it's speculation. It partly depends on what he can get elsewhere. I suspect Carolina will be on low side based on most other contract negotiations and a lot of teams are desperate for RHD, so if a team thinks he can play top 4, there will be some suitors.

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
My age comment wasn't meant to be about him slowing down/injuries, etc.. It was more about contracts. Chatfield will be 28 to end the season so he may not have many other chances to cash in.

Sure, that's possible, it's the risk tradeoff. None of us know how he'll react so it's speculation. It partly depends on what he can get elsewhere. I suspect Carolina will be on low side based on most other contract negotiations and a lot of teams are desperate for RHD, so if a team thinks he can play top 4, there will be some suitors.
Agree.....I wouldn't blame Chatfield for taking the $$$$. Professional athletes have limited spans and he is heading towards his peak age for cashing in.

FWIW: I hope we extend him and Skjei (who has played at a high level the last 2 years + can be physical when needed).

Pesce does seem in a slight decline but then again getting a shot in the privates could cause a slowdown for many of us. Burns does seem to have declined y/y but mitigation could be that it's by design (saving for the spring) and/or related to illness?

btw: is it possible that Morrow will get signed and play some games before the end of year?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Not when you have Karlsson scoring 101, Josi scoring 96, Makar scoring 86, Hedman scoring 85, etc....
Ahh see now you're going to open a can of worms, because IMHO, it shouldn't matter if Karlsson is scoring 101 when his actual defensive numbers are horrid. I don't care if you're putting up top flight offensive numbers if you are as effective as a traffic cone in keeping attacking situations away from your own net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad