GDT: Carolina Hurricanes vs. Pittsburgh Penguins l February 28, 2013 l PNC Arena

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I've been mostly impressed with Wallace. Personally, rather than LaRose, I'd like to see Wallace with his butt planted in front of the goaltender on the PP.

Wallace is a great guy, Alaskan that loves to hit everything on the ice. But not sure of him on the Power Fail, I guess give it a try, nothing else is working.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Wallace is a great guy, Alaskan that loves to hit everything on the ice. But not sure of him on the Power Fail, I guess give it a try, nothing else is working.

Tomas Holmstrom was an otherwise average player that made himself a pretty good NHL career just by standing in front of the net on the PP. And he was no bigger than Wallace. If we're going to have Tim freaking Brent playing the point on the PP, no reason you can't send Wallace out there and try to stir up some trouble.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
See, Ruutu reminds me of Clowe in San Jose. That guy, for whatever reason is the shell of what he used to be. If we get Ruutu to 50pts again, I'll be shocked.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
But not sure of him on the Power Fail, I guess give it a try, nothing else is working.

Yeah, I only suggest it because, aside from a few guys, Muller's PF seems to have a bit of a kitchen sink strategy thing going. Why not give the Wallaskan a shot at making a goalie's life miserable? Then again, I think I'd rather see JStaal do that...

PP1: Pitkanen, Brent, Staal, Tlusty, Semin
PP2: McBain, Faulk, Staal, Skinner, Jokinen

Yeah, never mind about Wallace on the PP.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Tomas Holmstrom made a career out of standing in front of the net because of great hand eye coordination, hands, balance, and finding the puck.

That's a lot more than a willingness to just stand in front of a goalie. Otherwise, everybody would make a great career out of standing in front of the goalie.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
See, Ruutu reminds me of Clowe in San Jose. That guy, for whatever reason is the shell of what he used to be. If we get Ruutu to 50pts again, I'll be shocked.

Last season, he had a stretch where he had 12pts in 14games, which is a reasonable indication of some skill that might be useful compared to current third liners like Wallace (12pts in career) and Bowman (18pts in career).

Assuming the surgery is related to the time he missed later in the season, he stunk playing hurt for a month and a half. Is a bad 15 games playing hurt enough to make you a shell of your former self?

Erik Cole, by the way, has played in close to 200 straight games and registered 450+ hits in that time.

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
Jussi and Chad aren't producing this year. The guys that everyone wants to replace them with have never produced. That's an important distinction.

Is it more likely Riley Nash abandons his AHL ways, or that the guy with 98 points in the previous two seasons returns to a more reasonable form?

Typically, if you think the player 'looks good' and is 'playing well' and they aren't getting any points, they aren't going to get many points. A player playing well doesn't have anywhere up to go. So what you're getting is what you should suspect to continue getting.

Now if it takes moving Jussi to do something good for the club, sure. But Riley Nash is only a substitute for bad Jussi. And Drayson Bowman is only a substitute for bad Larose. We'd, I think, want substitutes for the good versions of those players.

One of the most intelligent posts I've read in awhile. 100% right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad