Confirmed with Link: Carolina Hurricanes Sale - He Dundon it.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Even 20 years later? I mean, I'm not saying you are wrong but are there still many Greensboroites who hold that grudge? I kind of think the hockey fans in that city would take anything at this point, their last team folded in 2004.

Growing up in Northern Durham, right on the ornate county line to be exact. Greensboro games were closer than the RBC. What exactly went down that they would be bitter about? Just the team moving or what?

Reactions: Hulkacaniac

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Growing up in Northern Durham, right on the ornate county line to be exact. Greensboro games were closer than the RBC. What exactly went down that they would be bitter about? Just the team moving or what?
Bitter they lost the Generals (Who were only popular their last few years) to make way for the Hurricanes and were left with nothing after they went to Raleigh

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Bitter they lost the Generals (Who were only popular their last few years) to make way for the Hurricanes and were left with nothing after they went to Raleigh

Not to nit-pick but the Generals followed the Canes. It was the Monarchs who predated the Canes. And from what I understand, when the Monarchs upgraded to the AHL for the 1995-96 season, they alienated a lot of hockey fans in the city. All the players/coaches/rivalries that the Monarch fans became accustomed to were suddenly gone.

However, yes the 'Canes playing at the Coliseum for two years didn't go over well either because they were never going to set up shop there full-time. It all came so suddenly, ticket-prices jumped, team wasn't good, and there was no connection with the team and the city. They felt slighted by that, Karmanos subtly took jabs at them once PNC Arena was completed, and well here we are today with no team in Greensboro and a new owner about to take over operations.

I think enough time has passed that we could at least try to give Greensboro another try. Transplants who live there I'm sure would love to not have to go to Charlotte/Raleigh for their Hockey fix.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Were you driving 100 mph to Greensboro and 30 to Raleigh? I just googled distance from Eno NC (basically right on the Durham/Orange county line like you stated) to both Greensboro Coliseum and PNC Arena. The results told me that it takes about 25 minutes w/ no traffic to get to PNC, and about 50 w/ no traffic to get to Greensboro Coliseum.

I'm no math genius, but something about your statement just isn't adding up.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Not to nit-pick but the Generals followed the Canes. It was the Monarchs who predated the Canes. And from what I understand, when the Monarchs upgraded to the AHL for the 1995-96 season, they alienated a lot of hockey fans in the city. All the players/coaches/rivalries that the Monarch fans became accustomed to were suddenly gone.

However, yes the 'Canes playing at the Coliseum for two years didn't go over well either because they were never going to set up shop there full-time. It all came so suddenly, ticket-prices jumped, team wasn't good, and there was no connection with the team and the city. They felt slighted by that, Karmanos subtly took jabs at them once PNC Arena was completed, and well here we are today with no team in Greensboro and a new owner about to take over operations.

I think enough time has passed that we could at least try to give Greensboro another try. Transplants who live there I'm sure would love to not have to go to Charlotte/Raleigh for their Hockey fix.
Yes, you are correct about the Monarchs...Generals had a great rivalry with the Checkers so I always default to thinking Generals when I think Greensboro hockey.

I'd love to see them revive the Generals in the ECHL, then bump up the Thunderbirds to SPHL...good way to build up hockey in NC

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Were you driving 100 mph to Greensboro and 30 to Raleigh? I just googled distance from Eno NC (basically right on the Durham/Orange county line like you stated) to both Greensboro Coliseum and PNC Arena. The results told me that it takes about 25 minutes w/ no traffic to get to PNC, and about 50 w/ no traffic to get to Greensboro Coliseum.

I'm no math genius, but something about your statement just isn't adding up.

There was always heavy traffic heading To The game around 5:30. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. 25 minutes my ass.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Yessssssss! Put that in your ass and smoke it! Feel your unreasonable anger as it makes you strong!

[MOD] I just map quested where I lived and from there it takes 55 minutes to Greensboro Collesium and 38 minutes to the PNC WITHOUT traffic on 40 east which is never clear around 5 to 5:30. I'm calling yo6 out in your bs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
[MOD] I just map quested where I lived and from there it takes 55 minutes to Greensboro Collesium and 38 minutes to the PNC WITHOUT traffic on 40 east which is never clear around 5 to 5:30. I'm calling yo6 out in your bs.

Speaking of bs, you now say you just mapped out that it takes 55 minutes to get to the Greensboro Coliseum, yet what got this whole conversation started was your post that said Greensboro was closer and it only took you 30-35 minutes.

So are you now saying that your own previous posts were indeed BS?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Ahahahahahaha!

Your rage has now made you completely incoherent. My victory is complete!

PUT THAT IN YOUR ASS AND SMOKE IT!

AHAHAHAHAHA!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad