GDT: Carolina Hurricanes @ Detroit Red Wings 7PM EDT

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Howard was good enough to lose.
When your own team only manages to score one goal, you are putting the goaltender in an unreasonable position.

And the awful positioning and awareness of the defense makes it even harder for the goaltender to do his job.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I really don't know where you're coming from with these kind of posts after every loss. We all expected a bad season, I don't think there's many players that should be ashamed.

to be honest Pavels.. I dont read the game threads as much as before.
Some poster's provide a good analysis of the game. However most are just angry posts by angry fans...
and the angry fans are also paradoxical. they want a rebuild, they want us to lose, and yet complain when we do lose.

I have found this rebuild refreshing. I am happy no matter the outcome of the games anymore. Now that losses "improve" our team.. there is no reason to be upset.

I still watch the games, I still hope to see Mantha or Larkin or AA have a great night. I love when we win. But i know we will lose more often than not.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Another great loss, keep it up and we'll have a chance at a top 5 pick or better.

I think both Ottawa and Vancouver catch us. We should finish in 29th with the 3rd best odds entering the lottery. That would mean we have at worst the #6 pick. In this draft we are walking away with a stud player at that spot, which is what we need.

This team is going to be really painful to watch as soon as the 20 minutes where our only d-man that has the ability to pass is gone. Holland should try to pull the trigger now. We are not going anywhere, it is over so pull the plug. Trade Green today if possible, but he must get his list of teams he would be considering a move to.

I wonder since the Wings are very into the good ole boy network though if they will even start talking about him until after the All-Star break which is disappointing.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think both Ottawa and Vancouver catch us. We should finish in 29th with the 3rd best odds entering the lottery. That would mean we have at worst the #6 pick. In this draft we are walking away with a stud player at that spot, which is what we need.

This team is going to be really painful to watch as soon as the 20 minutes where our only d-man that has the ability to pass is gone. Holland should try to pull the trigger now. We are not going anywhere, it is over so pull the plug. Trade Green today if possible, but he must get his list of teams he would be considering a move to.

I wonder since the Wings are very into the good ole boy network though if they will even start talking about him until after the All-Star break which is disappointing.

Several assumption here:

"quality offer is already on the table"
"team is currently desperate enough to trade its first round pick, or solidly in playoffs enough to trade that pick"

I dont know when we will get the best deal... but there are a lot of articles on Sportsnet, tsn, and radio saying alot of teams really do not want to move their first. Obviously we will trade Green. I have faith that Holland is capable of finding the maximum value possible for Green. He did so for Smith. If the final trade involves a 2nd + prospect or 2nd+3rd and not a 1st, it probably means no one was going to pay for Green, not that Holland screwed up.

We really need to hope Green keeps piling up points, so that he looks like an amazing pick up. He has been slowing down a bit, and that will hurt his value.

Also when I mentally think about which teams are buyers, and willing to burn their first? I come up with Pitts / tampa... and that is it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Several assumption here:

"team is currently desperate enough to trade its first round pick, or solidly in playoffs enough to trade that pick"

I dont know when we will get the best deal... but there are a lot of articles on Sportsnet, tsn, and radio saying alot of teams really do not want to move their first. Obviously we will trade Green. I have faith that Holland is capable of finding the maximum value possible for Green. He did so for Smith. If the final trade involves a 2nd + prospect or 2nd+3rd and not a 1st, it probably means no one was going to pay for Green, not that Holland screwed up.

We really need to hope Green keeps piling up points, so that he looks like an amazing pick up. He has been slowing down a bit, and that will hurt his value.

Also when I mentally think about which teams are buyers, and willing to burn their first? I come up with Pitts / tampa... and that is it.

I am not sure a first is in the cards but one of the things that keeps coming up in my mind is Green has the potential to propel us upwards in the standings, not in a meaningful way in the playoff picture but very detrimental to the draft picture. You take him off this team and what do you have. I mean hopefully you have an audition for Hronek at some point but you have an extremely weak back-end. There are several nights where he is also our best defensive d-man which really is an indictment on our group.

I also think he will wind up in Tampa. I would really like their first since it will be very low. But if all we can get our of Yzerman is one of his Team Canada boys and a second okay. But I don't see the point in hanging onto Green any longer. He is likely to slow down we are a bad team that struggles to finish. I think we should be open to moving him right now. You can play the patience game and not improve the return. There is also this with Green. The guy almost annually has groin problems and gets knicks throughout his career. If that happens in February we might be totally sunk. We are out of it, it is white flag time, if we get an offer we like on our guys they should be sent right now.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
mmm Risk of Injury would be a factor.
the fact our team will "improve our own 1st round pick" without Green is a big factor too.

Yes it is time to sell, the rebuild is upon us. Mike Green is an asset we cannot afford to get wrong or have an injury derail in this process.

IMG_0153.GIF.755328bc59748a7b4c6eb878de863c99.GIF

giphy.gif

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
. I think we should be open to moving him right now. You can play the patience game and not improve the return. There is also this with Green. The guy almost annually has groin problems and gets knicks throughout his career. If that happens in February we might be totally sunk. We are out of it, it is white flag time, if we get an offer we like on our guys they should be sent right now.

The risk of an injury came to my mind as well, and since he's basically the only guy capable of skating AND performing good breakout passes, he gets hit a lot. I agree that Detroit should pull the trigger as soon as possible (unless they haven't unlocked the weapon yet). With injuries to hedman and shattenkirk, the list of potential trade partners grew

On the other side, the team will probably be terrible to watch and offer almost no entertainment value without him - something holland probably and rightfully considers in year one of the new arena

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
When your own team only manages to score one goal, you are putting the goaltender in an unreasonable position.

And the awful positioning and awareness of the defense makes it even harder for the goaltender to do his job.

I guess.
But he's lost 3 straight, giving up 3, 4 and 4 in the process.

But for a great glove save, I thought he was weak last night.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don’t get why mrazek gets a shutout and then is rewarded with the bench for a week. Maybe he sucks because he plays once a month

Not sure how this can be defended. They are forced to play him in the back to back next week. Another strong start and he should get a chance to run with it for a bit.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Not sure how this can be defended. They are forced to play him in the back to back next week. Another strong start and he should get a chance to run with it for a bit.
The kids what 25 years old? He’s still young play him give him a shot, he fails okay we know he’s not the answer and we get better odds at #1. Hey he plays like the old Pete mrazek the one who was in talks for the vexing hey great now we know we may have the real deal in the pipes, we can move Howard and go with Pete. I don’t get it

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I don't understand the "boring" comments after last night or say against Dallas. Do people watch other NHL games? I have NHL.tv and can tell you the teams are so x-ing close. St. Louis vs. Columbus or Tampa vs. Vegas, etc. etc. pick a game and it's basically the same thing. Is it boring because there's not enough goals? May be pro hockey just isn't for you.

No I wouldn't choose a Vancouver/Buffalo game because those teams aren't popping. I'd also wager the Wings are right at the bottom as far as interest from neutral fans- they have been since Datsyuk left.

Detroit is still an NHL team though. We can skate and keep up with anyone. Our deficiencies are subtle and it's only apparent depending on how you well you know the game. So If Z lands that one-timer or Tatar shoots inside the post instead, is it now exciting? Some of our generalizations are just so uniformed. The Wings may be bottom of the barrel but it's still the best league in world.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit

Uh, bro, the Red Wings had 15 shots vs Dallas which is more than enough. I don't know what Howard was thinking or doing not to be able to win that game. They very much trended the same way this game. Unaceeptable by your goaltender. Mrazek would have for sure gotten the win.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Several assumption here:

Keep in mind, every perspective party will leverage their position as best they can. So nobody SHOULD be in a hurry to declare themselves as either buyers or sellers. In a way, it's like a combination of chicken and musical chairs, where each team sees who blinks first...yet doesn't want to be the odd man out when the music stops, so to speak.

I'd be thrilled if they got a first rounder for Green this afternoon. Both for the yield on the trade, and the increased likelihood of drafting at or near the top. But other than preliminary phone calls, I don't EXPECT anything to really heat up until the last 1-2 weeks before the deadline.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Uh, bro, the Red Wings had 15 shots vs Dallas which is more than enough. I don't know what Howard was thinking or doing not to be able to win that game. They very much trended the same way this game. Unaceeptable by your goaltender. Mrazek would have for sure gotten the win.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I can't tell if this is sarcasm.

Then you need to fix your sarcasm detector.

Who in their right mind would think 15 shots was an acceptable performance for an offense? I can tell you, it is very deflating as a goalie to have your offense not even remotely have a chance at scoring. Them hanging you out to dry defensively is one thing... but if you know that no matter how you play they've got a 1% chance of lucking into a goal, any goalie is going to lose his focus.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Then you need to fix your sarcasm detector.

Who in their right mind would think 15 shots was an acceptable performance for an offense? I can tell you, it is very deflating as a goalie to have your offense not even remotely have a chance at scoring. Them hanging you out to dry defensively is one thing... but if you know that no matter how you play they've got a 1% chance of lucking into a goal, any goalie is going to lose his focus.
Whatever happened to using the sarcasm emote?

Back in my day...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes