GDT: Carolina Hurricanes @ Detroit Red Wings 7PM EDT

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I only noticed him because I was looking for him. I didn't see anything special from him tonight

he moved his feet and set up his teammates multiple times for good chances. he forechecked well, won puck battles along the boards, passed the puck well, got his stick on loose pucks to keep it in the offensive zone. effort wise it was easily his best game in 20 or so games. especeally if you were looking for him, you must have noticed this

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
We have such an awesome team!
rodneydangerfield-lol-ok-sure-l3fQf1OEAq0iri9RC
Yup said no one, Team is hot garbage they should be ashamed of themselves for this pathetic effort.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I'm not sure we watched the same game.

I've been critical on him in the last little while, this game he was good, sharp with the puck and moving his feet. You're right, we must have watched different games.

But it doesn't really matter, does it? We lost, again we got only a few good shots on carolinas goaltender. The number of icings and dumb dumps was just too much, the defensemen had so many turnovers...

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Mrazek probably would have been in the corner by the time the puck went in.

Mrazek does overplay these plays. But if you're being honest, you know that Howard was guilty of exactly that.
In fact, it's the second time in two games Howard has been guilty of overplaying the first shot and leaving himself out of position for the next.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
That was a sloppy, icing filled, boring, slow, abomination. Holyyyyyy **** thank god that is over.

That being said, Jeff Blashill is a god damn geni-, I mean, he's an idiot. It's a 6 on 4 and he puts Tatar on that left side as a lefty. He has zero shooting angle and zero one time threat. Carolina ignored him and let him dipsy doodle curl to the boards on the perimeter, do whatever you want Tommy.

Why the hell would you not stack 2 in front (cough, one being Mantha) hoping to get a tip or rebound and let Green shoot, or put Frk out to have a threat on that left side where Tatar was. Now not everyone is thrilled with Frk (he puts up numbers for his minimal salary) but his shot is hard enough and he's the proper hand where a team NEEDS to watch him. Esp. down two men. Absolutely atrocious by Jeff.

If those are the guys Blash wanted, why not flip Tatar and Green?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I've been critical on him in the last little while, this game he was good, sharp with the puck and moving his feet. You're right, we must have watched different games.

But it doesn't really matter, does it? We lost, again we got only a few good shots on carolinas goaltender. The number of icings and dumb dumps was just too much, the defensemen had so many turnovers...

Agree and I did think Mantha was one of our most dangerous guys, but we weren't a very dangerous team tonight.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Mrazek does overplay these plays. But if you're being honest, you know that Howard was guilty of exactly that.
In fact, it's the second time in two games Howard has been guilty of overplaying the first shot and leaving himself out of position for the next.
On a play like that you are going to get s goaltender overpaying it somewhat.

The problem is on all three goals there was a Hurricane forward by himself with no opposition, and that is on the defense. They had a terrible game tonight.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Agree and I did think Mantha was one of our most dangerous guys, but we weren't a very dangerous team tonight.

just like mickey is saying at the moment, the team passes up to many chances to shoot the puck and want to do the extra pass. They are making life hard on themselves sometimes

EDIT: ..and just like you are saying, the team is not talented enough to pass up good chances

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
On a play like that you are going to get s goaltender overpaying it somewhat.

The problem is on all three goals there was a Hurricane forward by himself with no opposition, and that is on the defense. They had a terrible game tonight.

Well, one of those goals started with a partial breakaway after a Red Wing turnover and the other two were on the PK.
In both those situations it's not unusual for guys to leave people open.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Well, one of those goals started with a partial breakaway after a Red Wing turnover and the other two were on the PK.
In both those situations it's not unusual for guys to leave people open.
Wide open within five feet of the net? That should not be expected of a competent defensive unit.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
If those are the guys Blash wanted, why not flip Tatar and Green?
If that's who he wanted which is a bad call to start, then at least flip them and make threats come from both sides of the ice. Fine (but not fine) by me. The guy is an idiot.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
If that's who he wanted which is a bad call to start, then at least flip them and make threats come from both sides of the ice. Fine (but not fine) by me. The guy is an idiot.

Well, Tatar and Green had success earlier in the game.

I notice AA had his ice cut again today.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Wide open within five feet of the net? That should not be expected of a competent defensive unit.

On a powerplay, shit happens when they get a second and third look.

The even strength goal came after a turnover, a min-breakaway and then when people are scrambling they're more prone to have two guys cover the same guy

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Despite the abundance of icings and offside calls this wasn't a bad Saturday night tussle. It's the 2nd or 3rd team I've seen come off their buy week with a strong game. Rest seems to be an advantage over the concern of rust. Carolina was simply better this one. Without Howard who knows what the score by the 3rd period could've been. So many excellent chances deep in the slot.

Ouellet and Witkowski are a serious downgrade from Jensen and Daley- that sure didn't help the Wings. Oh well on to the next.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
On a powerplay, **** happens when they get a second and third look.

The even strength goal came after a turnover, a min-breakaway and then when people are scrambling they're more prone to have two guys cover the same guy
Right, that is bad defense.

Them being on a penalty kill does not absolve them of blame, either.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Fair enough.

But Howard provided weak goaltending -- he overplayed shots and gave up bad rounds.
I don't think he did any worse than the minimum needed to win a hockey game on a given night (assuming a decent supporting cast).

The offense didn't show up and the defense forgot simple positioning. Howard played just okay.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This team just isn't very good. I don't know why people are trying to convince themselves otherwise.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't think he did any worse than the minimum needed to win a hockey game on a given night (assuming a decent supporting cast).

The offense didn't show up and the defense forgot simple positioning. Howard played just okay.

Howard was good enough to lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad