Claimed off Waivers: Carolina claims Klas Dahlbeck

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Good depth dman with some experience. Allows us to send down some of the young guys that we'd prefer to have in Charlotte for the year. Also meets expansion requirements, which we don't have on D yet other than Faulk.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Also gives me the excuse to shout "Klas!" in an exaggerated German accent.

And reminds my dad of 'Young Frankenstein' when they talk about acquiring the brain of Hans Dalbruck.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Also gives me the excuse to shout "Klas!" in an exaggerated German accent.

And reminds my dad of 'Young Frankenstein' when they talk about acquiring the brain of Hans Dalbruck.

In AZ we called him "Santa Klas" every time he scored a goal.

But I like the Hans Delbruck reference because if he coughs up the puck or misses a defensive assignment (which happened way too much last year) you could shout, "ABBY NORMAL!"

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He plays 1/3rd of the game and even then not extremely well, but he won't embarrass your team.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He plays 1/3rd of the game and even then not extremely well, but he won't embarrass your team.

He's more likely than not to sit in the press box for ~80 games as an inexpensive expansion draft sacrifice. Canes needed someone to expose as Faulk was their only current eligible player. Dahlbeck was really the perfect solution.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Vegas is mad about this.

It's a bit unfortunate for Dahlbeck. He's likely to sit an entire year, stunting his overall development, simply to satisfy an expansion Draft stipulation which I can't imagine applies to anyone but the Canes (due to Slavin, Hanifin, and Pesce all being exempt).

On the plus side he gets his full NHL salary.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
It's a bit unfortunate for Dahlbeck. He's likely to sit an entire year, stunting his overall development, simply to satisfy an expansion Draft stipulation which I can't imagine applies to anyone but the Canes (due to Slavin, Hanifin, and Pesce all being exempt).

On the plus side he gets his full NHL salary.
I really doubt he sits the full year. Injuries will happen and he'll get a chance...or someone will underperform and he'll get a chance. Based on Francis and Peters' quotes is clear that the team wants Fleury/McKeown developing in the AHL and they view Nakladal/Dahlbeck as stopgaps.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Doesn't hurt the team often. Pretty disciplined usually and generally fairly positionally sound. Not a slow or immobile player, either. He's just a "guy" out there. Like an extra in a movie. Background player.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
100% this. Plus he's an upgrade on Carrick for the #7 spot right now since it's preferable to have Fleury and McKeown in the AHL getting top 4 ice time right now.

Somebody with more knowledge than me will have to clarify this....but I thought the forwards and defensemen had to actually be signed through the 2017-18 season to meet the expansion draft requirement. Dahlbeck is an arbitration-eligible RFA. I'm not sure that meets the letter of the expansion draft requirements.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Somebody with more knowledge than me will have to clarify this....but I thought the forwards and defensemen had to actually be signed through the 2017-18 season to meet the expansion draft requirement. Dahlbeck is an arbitration-eligible RFA. I'm not sure that meets the letter of the expansion draft requirements.

You're correct. Dahlbeck does not currently meet the expansion draft exposure requirement because he isn't signed for 2017-18.

Teams can expose RFA goalies, but not forwards or defensemen.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
You're correct. Dahlbeck does not currently meet the expansion draft exposure requirement because he isn't signed for 2017-18.

Teams can expose RFA goalies, but not forwards or defensemen.

Realistically would Dahlbeck turn down $1-2 million if offered to fill the expansion need? I seriously doubt it, I think it would be unlikely he'd even be selected.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Realistically would Dahlbeck turn down $1-2 million if offered to fill the expansion need? I seriously doubt it, I think it would be unlikely he'd even be selected.

Would Carolina want to pay Dalhbeck $1-2m in 2017-18 after he goes unclaimed in the expansion draft?

Also, he might not be that thrilled over an extension if Carolina actually were to park him in the press box all season as you suggest.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Doubt he'll be parked in the press box. Canes #7 D has typically played between 35-45 games / season in recent years as injuries occur. I would expect him to at least be in that range.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Canes fans assuming this guy is expansion fodder or ready for the press box are wrong. We tend to overate our kids. Our kids now have a solid third pair dman to beat out for a spot down the road on that left side. This could easily end up being a player for a few years for us. Solid move, even if it does only last a year. Our d needed help, it's merely a strong prospect list right now. He may start out waiting for someone to get hurt, but that may be all he needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad