Cut/Released: Carlos Gomez DFA'd (signs with Texas)

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Cardinals are also desperately needing someone who can play CF but I'm not sure if Matheny/Mo realize it

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
what would the mets do with the outfield? they already have way too many of them'

bruce, granderson, cespedes, conforto, de aza and then gomez?

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
maybe the mets can just play eight guys in the outfield then.

seriously, conforto can't get ab so they should go get another outfielder? they already went and got the white curtis granderson jay bruce.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
garbage ever since he got to houston

he's only 30 though. plenty of time to bounce back

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What the hell happened to him?

No kidding.

13.3 WAR over the 2013-14 seasons, and then out of the majors 1.5 years later at age 30. His is a drop-off for the ages.

The trade wasn't THAT bad though. They gave up one really good pitching prospect (with scary mechanics), an OF hitting .220 in AA, and two other nothing prospects. And got Fiers back, who has been a decent #4-5 guy in their rotation. It wasn't a good trade by any stretch, but there have been far worse.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You're far underselling both Phillips and Hader.

It was a bad trade, no doubt, and has worked out poorly ... but it isn't 'one of the worst trades in recent memory' or anything like that.

Phillips has pretty obviously seen his stock drop considerably this year. Hader is an excellent prospect, no question.

Houston barely snuck into the Wildcard game last year, and probably don't make it without Fiers helping to bolster the back end of their rotation down the stretch. Gomez also wasn't *this* bad last season and shored up their outfield defense.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
It was a bad trade, no doubt, and has worked out poorly ... but it isn't 'one of the worst trades in recent memory' or anything like that.

Phillips has pretty obviously seen his stock drop considerably this year. Hader is an excellent prospect, no question.

Houston barely snuck into the Wildcard game last year, and probably don't make it without Fiers helping to bolster the back end of their rotation down the stretch. Gomez also wasn't *this* bad last season and shored up their outfield defense.

Phillips' stock hasn't dropped. He's walking at over a 10% clip and hitting for big power from the CF spot. He's also an elite caliber fielder and has speed. He's sacrificed contact for power and it's working.

There's a reason Phillips was a top 50-60 midseason prospect.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
These precipitous declines always puzzle me. Without an injury or anything of that sort to derail his career, it seems impossible that he would just lose the ability to proficiently play baseball in the span of a year and a half. To me this has A's written all over it. I don't know if they need him, but he'd be cheap and a potential huge boom if he figures it out again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad