GDT: CARLEAF

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
might as well put this in here, too:

since the leafs last made it to the conference finals in 2002, 90% of the rest of the league has played in a conference final. 90%.

only florida, columbus, and the islanders have not made it since the leafs.

1. yes, colorado technically hasn't played in a conference final since 2002, either. but they played a couple games in the 2002 wcf after toronto was eliminated.

b. i'm very much a lurker. during all the 'pesce isn't worth a molson with a maple leaf on the cap' threads on the trade board i made myself happy finding alternatives to 1967 as a clap-back to leafs fans. so, here we are.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Whatre the differences beyween czech interwebs and American interwebs?

Well we mostly speach Czech for starters, we’re also way more cynic. We have distinctly different mentality than Americans. Being small country, having way longer history, experiencing 40 years of communism... things like these kill optimism quite easily.

And we obviously have obvious positive bias towards Pasta.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
While @Hinterland is too harsh on Hamilton, this is actually a worse point

Pesce is the best defensive d-man on the team. Even given Hamilton's goal scoring, Hamilton is not in the same tier as Pesce. Think about your opinion of Faulk and then realize that with Pesce as his partner they shut down Crosby, McDavid, Seguin, and kept Barkov off the score sheet at even strength.
Yes, me saying that two dmen are great is the same as cluelessly blathering on about a good dman being bad. I didn't even definitively say that Hamilton is better. I bet there are some that would argue it. I don't care that much to argue either way.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Two questions:

1. Which of you in here is Sara. 'Cause she's lurking
2. We are in a techy part of the country, and a lot here (mostish) seem very intelligent. We haven't been to the dance for quite a while... we churned the waters with the Surge... who's making our Playoff Avatar? A lot of storylines to pull from and people to poke.

Edit: this Jerk cares not about superstitions. Yep, I said it. Yep, I posted it. We are going to the playoffs.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
All Business for the 'Canes
By: Luke DeCock

This is supposed to be fun.
So why doesn’t anyone around the Carolina Hurricanes seem to be enjoying the rare pleasure of a playoff chase, of being relevant in April, of playing games that matter instead of counting the days until the misery is finally over?
“Nope, not yet,” Hurricanes captain Justin Williams said. “It’s business. We’re here for a reason.”
The coaches and players are too focused on the next game to take a breath, which is fine: It’s what got them here. But there’s precious little pleasure taken from controlling their own destiny with two games to go for the first time in eight years.
“Mmmmm, nah,” Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour demurred, then added, later: “We’re not in a position to really take much enjoyment out of anything. It’s business as usual. We expect to win. We have to win. You just keep moving on.”
Read more here: Hurricanes have a shot, and it’s OK to enjoy it

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Curtis McElhinney: From Waiver Wire to Play-Offs
By: Chip Alexander

With goalie Scott Darling ailing, the Canes claimed McElhinney on Oct. 2. Few, if any, would have guessed that one personnel move would help set the course of the season for the Hurricanes while giving McElhinney, at 35, the chance to join Mrazek in carrying Carolina to the brink of its first playoff berth since 2009.
That McElhinney was nominated for the Masterton Trophy by the Carolina chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association is no surprise. While the annual award often recognizes a player who has overcome an extreme physical or deep personal hardship, it also is given to those who have shown perseverance and dedication to the sport.
“It’s one of those things you hang around long enough and put in your time and people recognize that work,” McElhinney said.
McElhinney played a career-high 32 games, with 28 starts, for the Blue Jackets in 2014-15. He played in 32 games, combined, the last two seasons with the Maple Leafs and had impressive numbers -- 2.15 goals-against average and .934 save percentage -- last year with Toronto.
But he had to fill a big need for the Canes, take on a major role in his 11th NHL season. He has gotten 32 starts, winning a career-high 19 games and a 2.57 GAA/.912 save%, with two shutouts.
“Goal-tending has put us where we are right now, with a chance to make the playoffs,” Canes coach Rod Brind’Amour said of the McElhinney-Mrazek tandem.
From waiver wire to brink of the playoffs, Canes’ McElhinney enjoying the ride

Last edited:

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Two questions:

2. We are in a techy part of the country, and a lot here (mostish) seem very intelligent. We haven't been to the dance for quite a while... we churned the waters with the Surge... who's making our Playoff Avatar? A lot of storylines to pull from and people to poke.

Edit: this Jerk cares not about superstitions. Yep, I said it. Yep, I posted it. We are going to the playoffs.

For f*** sakes, stop it! They could be out in 24 hours. The last playoff avatar talk had them go on a 1-3 run

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
View attachment 208449

My playoff flags have been on my Jeep since we lost to the Jets 8 to 1.

I was getting some stares from Leafs fans this morning.

Screw them..... the Jerkmobile is rolling

love it! lol I live in D.C. and I was wearing my canes jersey to a restaurant the other day and this guy was literally like 'You're a CANES fan?" as if he was utterly indignant at the thought that we existed in DC. lol.

Reactions: zman77 and VAcaniac

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Whether it was an injury or just adjusting, Dougie's defensive game took a big leap halfway through the season. It wasn't a mistake he was demoted in the first half to the 3rd pair. And it's not a mistake he's back on the top pair playing 20+ a night now.

I don't think Hamilton is great defensively, but he's good enough with Slavin as a partner now, and certainly more than good enough when he's scoring at a 30 goal pace in 2019.

Slander! "DOUGIE MULLETT HAMILTON...There's a million thing he hasn't done, just you waaaaaaaiiiit!" o_O

Lol, sorry, I haven't made an obligatory "Hamilton" reference yet. :: collects belongings and exits::

I'm completely smitten with his mullet, though, it's blinded me to his many sins.

giphy.gif

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Two questions:

R5p9G94.gif

lol

Reactions: VAcaniac

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
love it! lol I live in D.C. and I was wearing my canes jersey to a restaurant the other day and this guy was literally like 'You're a CANES fan?" as if he was utterly indignant at the thought that we existed in DC. lol.

Im old enough to remember when no one in DC actually cared about the Caps. Such a fairweather sports fan city.

The only game the Caps sold out in 2006 was when they played the Canes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad