Injury Report: Carey Price suffered from chronic fatigue

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
They're probably alright with their goalies but if they could get an upgrade, they would probably do it in a heartbeat. If you look at all goalies in the league (starters + backup and even farm teams), how many goalies would you take as your number 1 right now? Some goalies have had decent stats as backups over the years but never managed to fulfill the number 1 position. Cam Talbot was fine as a backup for the Rangers and did even better in his first two years in Edmonton.. but this season, he's awful. Raanta was another decent backup and was posting decent stats early on. Carolina believed Scott Darling could fill in, he can't... well maybe next year, he could be back in form. Who knows.

I should have added that: most teams that I was talking about have had problems finding a number 1 goalie for years.
If I want to take a goalie, I would go with number one goalies only. Very few #2 goalies are able to fill the job. Not every team have a goalie like the one we have if I get your point.

I think 6 years ago there was few good goalies around the league (around 6) and today there is more (around 10 to 15), they are like fresh mushrooms who have grown suddently.
We don't see the lack of good goalie in Montreal because we have a tradition of good goalies. We always have good one and a backup coming after. So it's not natural thinking about an hockey team with a bad goalie.
From distance I saw Philly having problems at that position since a long long time.
Sadly they lost a very good one in a car accident in the '80s ... and after never had one like that.
It's obvious Edmonton need a decent goalie if they want to reach the next level.

But thinking another gm would give the moon to fill that g position, I don't know. You have a point but it doesn't mean it will concretise in what you think.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If I want to take a goalie, I would go with number one goalies only. Very few #2 goalies are able to fill the job. Not every team have a goalie like the one we have if I get your point.

I think 6 years ago there was few good goalies around the league (around 6) and today there is more (around 10 to 15), they are like fresh mushrooms who have grown suddently.
We don't see the lack of good goalie in Montreal because we have a tradition of good goalies. We always have good one and a backup coming after. So it's not natural thinking about an hockey team with a bad goalie.
From distance I saw Philly having problems at that position since a long long time.
Sadly they lost a very good one in a car accident in the '80s ... and after never had one like that.
It's obvious Edmonton need a decent goalie if they want to reach the next level.

But thinking another gm would give the moon to fill that g position, I don't know. You have a point but it doesn't mean it will concretise in what you think.
But last year everyone said they were set... That's why solid goalies are important and elite goalies are worth gold. They are consistently good.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
But last year everyone said they were set... That's why solid goalies are important and elite goalies are worth gold. They are consistently good.
And this is why a team who trade a good g wants full equal value. It's hard to compare goalies with another position, it depends on a lot of factors like witch gm calls first, who have the power level in the negociations, etc.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Just like Price. He's never bad. Ever. Not even this year, for instance. You pay for consistency.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
And even if you have a “solid” goalie it’s not enough for some. According to some Chicago were successful IN SPITE OF Corey Crawford.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Sad sack offense..........and a brutal D...................and somehow, some think this years fiasco is on Price.............lol

At the start of the year, we won't deny that his performances were part of the problem. But ever since he came back after his 3-week absence, he's been stellar almost every single game (a few stinkers here and there, just as any goalie). He's been one of the most consistent aspects of the team. You can't even count on one hand the number of players on this team have remained consistent recently, Price is one of them.

Reactions: BLONG7

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
At the start of the year, we won't deny that his performances were part of the problem. But ever since he came back after his 3-week absence, he's been stellar almost every single game (a few stinkers here and there, just as any goalie). He's been one of the most consistent aspects of the team. You can't even count on one hand the number of players on this team have remained consistent recently, Price is one of them.

I really can’t see how you can say that - he came back and was lights out, a shutout out and two one goal games... his save percentage was a crazy .980 over those three games, but that was over two months ago, at the end of November. In December he put up about average or slightly below average numbers 11 games, 2.82 GAA, .914 SV%. Not terrible but not great. Then can January, 10 games, 3.07 GAA, .901 SV%, not much to say here, well below league average, so basically in Dec and Jan we saw a 20 game stretch of below average numbers that did little to help his numbers recover from that terrible start. But there is hope, he had a sv% above .920 in this last start in Jan and his first start this month, if he can do that his next start that will be only the second time this year that he has put three such starts together, the other being those three starts at the end of Nov, over 20 games ago.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I really can’t see how you can say that - he came back and was lights out, a shutout out and two one goal games... his save percentage was a crazy .980 over those three games, but that was over two months ago, at the end of November. In December he put up about average or slightly below average numbers 11 games, 2.82 GAA, .914 SV%. Not terrible but not great. Then can January, 10 games, 3.07 GAA, .901 SV%, not much to say here, well below league average, so basically in Dec and Jan we saw a 20 game stretch of below average numbers that did little to help his numbers recover from that terrible start. But there is hope, he had a sv% above .920 in this last start in Jan and his first start this month, if he can do that his next start that will be only the second time this year that he has put three such starts together, the other being those three starts at the end of Nov, over 20 games ago.

If you watch the games, you can see that he's playing well. Had the team and more specifically the defense been of better quality, his numbers would be way up because he's doing his part as much as he can.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

You’re only staring at statistics. You need to watch the games. Everyone of your posts relies on stats only with no context to the game. This might be the worst Habs team in franchise history. Although he hasn’t found much of a rhythm at any point this year, he was doomed to have a rough time when it came to personal stats due to the team in front of him.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Fine to build around any position. For many years the best player in the league was a winger. We've seen teams win with goaltending, D and offense... But you have to actually BUILD around that player.

And we didn't just have one cornerstone player, we had two. One's gone and the other is probably on his way out.

Good young team and we screwed it up. And that's ****ing tragic.

Your missing the point. It is easier to mitigate the loss of one out of three doing the same thing than one out of one doing the same thing.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Your missing the point. It is easier to mitigate the loss of one out of three doing the same thing than one out of one doing the same thing.
Actually, that reinforces my point. You have to actually build a team. You can't just have one player and hope that he'll win everything for you. Gretzky couldn't do it and neither could Lemieux or Yzerman. They all needed great teams. Look at McDavid this year... one guy isn't going to get you anywhere.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Actually, that reinforces my point. You have to actually build a team. You can't just have one player and hope that he'll win everything for you. Gretzky couldn't do it and neither could Lemieux or Yzerman. They all needed great teams. Look at McDavid this year... one guy isn't going to get you anywhere.

It frustrates me to no end that we've spent half a season watching some of the worst defence in Canadiens history and people just say, "Hey if we get Tavares we're a contender again!"

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It frustrates me to no end that we've spent half a season watching some of the worst defence in Canadiens history and people just say, "Hey if we get Tavares we're a contender again!"
It's actually incredible that our GM has not only failed to address our biggest weakness (up the middle) but also introduced a new one on the back end. Without Weber that D is almost AHL level. There's one top four blueliner there and he's probably better used as a 2nd pairing guy. That's going to take longer to solve than finding a center will. We're going to have to build up our blueline pretty much from scratch now.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It's actually incredible that our GM has not only failed to address our biggest weakness (up the middle) but also introduced a new one on the back end. Without Weber that D is almost AHL level. There's one top four blueliner there and he's probably better used as a 2nd pairing guy. That's going to take longer to solve than finding a center will. We're going to have to build up our blueline pretty much from scratch now.

We're praying for Juulsen and Mete to develop, Josh Brook as well. That would help a little, but that's still down the road.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Sad sack offense..........and a brutal D...................and somehow, some think this years fiasco is on Price.............lol

Excuses excuses excuses

Its alot harder for all 23 men on the ice to be terrible at the same time.

Worst teams had better seasons. Carey had better stats in 2012 too.

The root of all evil this year was undeniably The guy who couldn’t stop a beach ball this year.

Reactions: habsgirl5000

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Excuses excuses excuses

Its alot harder for all 23 men on the ice to be terrible at the same time.

Worst teams had better seasons. Carey had better stats in 2012 too.

The root of all evil this year was undeniably The guy who couldn’t stop a beach ball this year.
No excuses for his poor start. That's on him. But he's been good behind a bad team since.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It will be interesting to see if Price`s contract has any ripple effect on other goaltenders contracts.

Don`t know who needs one soon Bobrosky? Holtby?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad