OT: Career advice Part II

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Had four rounds of expedited interviews thanks to a friend getting me setup to speak with someone at his company and he said feedback has been very positive and to expect a decision next week. Base salary is lower by a good chunk than where I was but it’s also fully remote which has some allure with the kiddo at home and flexibility to let my wife actually work a bit and make up for the difference in base salary. The commission structure is also generous so it could be a good situation. Fingers crossed that I get it.

On the other hand, phone, internet, etc. have come out and my wife is about $350 overdrawn and as of this morning, I’m also at $0. I applied for unemployment but that won’t come through for a bit and even if I get the job, pay check won’t come for a few weeks. The last thing I want to do is be in a $2000 hole by the time I start getting paid because of overdraft and late fees and shit. So hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel but also very much feeling the stress here. Rent will be due in 21 days, so even if I started this job immediately and got paid within that 21 day period, which is unlikely, every cent would go to rent and we’d still be completely in the red through December. I have to figure this out. I have made about $500 cash this week doing local jobs, but with gas, groceries, diapers and bills I’ve got about $100 cash and $0 in the bank. It’s a bad situation presently.

Sorry you're going through this.

For people in this situation, I ask them to go through EVERY expense with a fine tooth comb. And I literally mean everything.

Break all your expenses down into Needs vs Wants. This is tricky because people will say "I need that morning cup of coffee at Starbucks". Well you do that most days and the $5 coffee comes out to $150 per month. That adds up.

If you have cable, eliminate it. Land line should also go.
Can you switch your phone service to a different plan? Even going something as bare bones as Jitterbug can be a temporary solution.
Can you turn down the heat in the winter and not use AC in the summer?
Are there off brands you can buy instead of going the premium route?
Are you clipping coupons?
Do you have family where they can loan you money at zero interest instead of ringing up CC debt?

All these marginal things add up over the course of time.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Had four rounds of expedited interviews thanks to a friend getting me setup to speak with someone at his company and he said feedback has been very positive and to expect a decision next week. Base salary is lower by a good chunk than where I was but it’s also fully remote which has some allure with the kiddo at home and flexibility to let my wife actually work a bit and make up for the difference in base salary. The commission structure is also generous so it could be a good situation. Fingers crossed that I get it.

On the other hand, phone, internet, etc. have come out and my wife is about $350 overdrawn and as of this morning, I’m also at $0. I applied for unemployment but that won’t come through for a bit and even if I get the job, pay check won’t come for a few weeks. The last thing I want to do is be in a $2000 hole by the time I start getting paid because of overdraft and late fees and shit. So hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel but also very much feeling the stress here. Rent will be due in 21 days, so even if I started this job immediately and got paid within that 21 day period, which is unlikely, every cent would go to rent and we’d still be completely in the red through December. I have to figure this out. I have made about $500 cash this week doing local jobs, am scheduled for plasma and … other donations, etc., but with gas, groceries, diapers and bills I’ve got about $100 cash and $0 in the bank. It’s a bad situation presently.

Someone start a Go-fund-Henrik for my little man and his moron dad. Get Hank’s attention, maybe we can get a lifetime supply of cologne and some tickets lol

That sucks man. My wife has been looking for work for months too and can’t even get interviews right now. At least I’m employed, but we are bleeding money every month too.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
That sucks man. My wife has been looking for work for months too and can’t even get interviews right now. At least I’m employed, but we are bleeding money every month too.

Thanks man. That’s kind of the bitch of it all. I hate coming in here always complaining but I think the thing that really got me salty was that 2023 was actually a huge year for me. 2020 was my first year as a civilian - I had debt, bad habits, no real resume outside of the military. It was a bit of an uphill battle. Along the way I bounced jobs a couple of times trying to find my niche, got married, became a dad, moved a few times, etc. and these all came with associated costs but in mid 2022 I started a job I was good at and happy in. Henrik was born shortly after.

I worked my ass off, worked my way up, got promoted twice, cleaned up almost $20k in debt. It may not be much compared to some people, but going from $20K debt and a 560 credit score to zero debt and a 640 score on the rise while getting promoted twice and being a dad for the first time… that should be a huge, banner year for me. But the NY office wasn’t profitable and shutdown while only keeping the division manager on and it sent me down this road - unemployed August 10 until October 10, moved down to texas for the new job - at great cost - and then fired 20 days into the new gig. That is really not even long enough to settle into a new role, and I swear on Henrik I was not let go for attitude or an incident or anything untoward. Literally for performance. 20 days in. In the same industry I’d been crushing it in for the last 18 months. Like, I couldn’t even have 45 days to get situated? Maybe a 90 day review?

But that’s what has me so bitter. I did everything right. Figured my shit out post military and eventually got myself facing right side up and moving in the right direction. Paid off all my debt. Made the right moves for career advancement. Improved my credit. And now I’m literally overdrawn $500 between my wife and I with zero income on the horizon until like mid-December (IF I get the job) and it feels like such a punch in the nuts after working hard to get things going right only to have it all go wrong.

Also, everclear is not to be trifled with. Woo.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Yeah, I have no advice other than, literally take anything. I have a graduate degree but when I was 27 years old I couldn’t get a job so I worked at Chick Fil A for a little while.

Walmart, McDonalds, someone is hiring.

And as others suggested, waiting tables can actually be lucrative.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Yeah, I have no advice other than, literally take anything. I have a graduate degree but when I was 27 years old I couldn’t get a job so I worked at Chick Fil A for a little while.

I mentioned, I had a rapid fire four round interview process with a very good national firm because my buddy was able to get one of the directors to talk to me, and by all accounts I did well and should hear a decision soon. But they likely won’t bring me on until after Thanksgiving, and then of course there’s the 2-3 week wait before you start getting paid. In that time rent and bills are gonna pile up. I’ve done some labor around the area for cash this week to make some money, but it isn’t gonna keep up. I’m always like a $5K safety net away from being okay. This is one of those times where it shows. If I had just had 3-4 more months of secure times before this all happened, we’d have weathered it a lot easier. Instead I’m sitting here in panic mode.

Reactions: mas0764

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Yes cash tip business can add up fast. Bonus is you often get it right away. I wish you both the best of luck. Better to vent here. You can speak freely without worry.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I mentioned, I had a rapid fire four round interview process with a very good national firm because my buddy was able to get one of the directors to talk to me, and by all accounts I did well and should hear a decision soon. But they likely won’t bring me on until after Thanksgiving, and then of course there’s the 2-3 week wait before you start getting paid. In that time rent and bills are gonna pile up. I’ve done some labor around the area for cash this week to make some money, but it isn’t gonna keep up. I’m always like a $5K safety net away from being okay. This is one of those times where it shows. If I had just had 3-4 more months of secure times before this all happened, we’d have weathered it a lot easier. Instead I’m sitting here in panic mode.
I'm really sorry to just learn about this. I feel terrible. I hope you get a response soon.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Hoping this is the proper place for this. Im a Civil Engineer in the work force for almost 20 yrs. The jobs i held never required my P.E. but now im in a position where if i want to move up the latter i need it. The issue is i never took the E.I.T. the 1st exam i need to take the P.E. exam. My issue is almost 20 yrs out of college i forgot how to study and prep for exams like this. I have the study materials i know the subjects i need to focus on but looking at it has me overwhelmed. friends tell me i need to put a plan in place but when i ask how they are of no use. Anyone out there have helpful hints on how to put a study plan together and any study tips in general?

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Hoping this is the proper place for this. Im a Civil Engineer in the work force for almost 20 yrs. The jobs i held never required my P.E. but now im in a position where if i want to move up the latter i need it. The issue is i never took the E.I.T. the 1st exam i need to take the P.E. exam. My issue is almost 20 yrs out of college i forgot how to study and prep for exams like this. I have the study materials i know the subjects i need to focus on but looking at it has me overwhelmed. friends tell me i need to put a plan in place but when i ask how they are of no use. Anyone out there have helpful hints on how to put a study plan together and any study tips in general?

I used to be a recruiter on the consulting and design side of construction/engineering. I don’t have helpful hints for the exam but I know a LOT of PEs and have seen some study guides and things floating around. I can look into my network and see if I can be helpful for you or find someone who can kind of mentor you in the process. Are you site civil? Traffic? Structural? Water resources?

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
I used to be a recruiter on the consulting and design side of construction/engineering. I don’t have helpful hints for the exam but I know a LOT of PEs and have seen some study guides and things floating around. I can look into my network and see if I can be helpful for you or find someone who can kind of mentor you in the process. Are you site civil? Traffic? Structural? Water resources?

I was a civil construction with a focus on airport construction. I got a APM position and if i want to move into the project manager spot i was told i need my PE. Plus it was a goal when i went to college that i just kinda dropped as my career went the construction route rather then the design route.

Thank you for your help. I hope your doing well i read thru your struggles. Ive been there all i can say is hang on and something will come thru.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Looks like the wife is finding a job at Duke University. So I got that going for me… which is nice.

Especially cause that post Christmas credit card bill is gonna be a bitch.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
So I have a decision I have to make...
13.2% bonus + 2.6% salary increase
OR
3.75% bonus + 8% salary increase.

Taking the larger salary increase (smaller bonus) leaves a considerable amount of money on the table this year, which hurts.

There is also no guarantee/contract that keeps me employed.

That said, I think I would make up the difference via future salary increases, future bonuses (always based on salary) and 401k matching (salary based) within a year or two.

It just hurts to give up so much immediate cash.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
OR

Taking the larger salary increase (smaller bonus) leaves a considerable amount of money on the table this year, which hurts.

That said, I think I would make up the difference via future salary increases, future bonuses (always based on salary) and 401k matching (salary based) within a year or two.

Take the bonus and inflate your salary to the next place you apply. Easy.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Can anyone recommend a good employment lawyer? I am in some hot water due to an unfortunate incident during my office’s secret Santa gift exchange

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
OR

Every year you will make:

(Base now) * (1+ bonus) * ((1 + increase) ^ t)

Where t = 0 is your first year at the firm.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
OR

Well if you think your job is secure, then the 8% salary increase is the no brainer.

If you don't then take the bonus.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
...we are going to need the details.
It’s basically a minor misunderstanding that’s being blown out of proportion.

For our office’s Secret Santa exchange I received a nice set of Cedar coat hangers from an elderly female coworker. Just before I left for the evening I dropped by her cubicle to thank her for the gift.

I made an innocent remark that they still smelled like her perfume and that the fragrance would remind me of her later “when I take off my pants and jacket.”

Apparently she misunderstood that last part and long story short I have been told to stay home and placed om paid leave pending the outcome of the HR investigation

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It’s basically a minor misunderstanding that’s being blown out of proportion.

For our office’s Secret Santa exchange I received a nice set of Cedar coat hangers from an elderly female coworker. Just before I left for the evening I dropped by her cubicle to thank her for the gift.

I made an innocent remark that they still smelled like her perfume and that the fragrance would remind me of her later “when I take off my pants and jacket.”

Apparently she misunderstood that last part and long story short I have been told to stay home and placed om paid leave pending the outcome of the HR investigation

I'm assuming you meant take it off to put it on the hanger? Have you explained that and they think you're lying?

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I quit my job back in June, mainly because if I had stayed any longer, I was going to have a stroke or worse.

I started my own business. Started out ok. Now not so much.

I'm either the world's worst salesperson, the unluckiest, or caught not being able to afford to invest more into it to be able to talk with more people who would be more likely to buy.

Some of the stuff I'm dealing with is downright comical on how Murphy's Law it all is. It's like the dark cloud of awfulness set in over me in late October and hasn't left.

Basically, I meet the necessary requirements for statistically making sales, but just don't.

Main thing is, I probably need a job. Almost any job, and I'm willing to move almost anywhere for it.

Worst thing is - I always hear "follow your passion". I've never really ever had a passion for anything. I did 25 years of IT - most of it from the analyst side. The pendulum of that space has shifted almost solely to engineering, so that's out. Sales? I obviously suck ass at that. So, I just need something. I don't care if I like it. Just something I can do and can get paid decently for doing it.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I quit my job back in June, mainly because if I had stayed any longer, I was going to have a stroke or worse.

I started my own business. Started out ok. Now not so much.

I'm either the world's worst salesperson, the unluckiest, or caught not being able to afford to invest more into it to be able to talk with more people who would be more likely to buy.

Some of the stuff I'm dealing with is downright comical on how Murphy's Law it all is. It's like the dark cloud of awfulness set in over me in late October and hasn't left.

Basically, I meet the necessary requirements for statistically making sales, but just don't.

Main thing is, I probably need a job. Almost any job, and I'm willing to move almost anywhere for it.

Worst thing is - I always hear "follow your passion". I've never really ever had a passion for anything. I did 25 years of IT - most of it from the analyst side. The pendulum of that space has shifted almost solely to engineering, so that's out. Sales? I obviously suck ass at that. So, I just need something. I don't care if I like it. Just something I can do and can get paid decently for doing it.
What is the business you started?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad