GDT: car rags (five)

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Brushless/touchless/laser washes are pretty terrible, they barely clean your car and some use very abrasive chemicals that can damage your paint. The only thing going for them is that they can’t scratch your paint.

If you do not have the capacity to hand wash at home, I recommend the following.

• ⁠Go to a DIY wash with a pressure washer.
• ⁠Bring one of the below:

1. ⁠A Microfibre mitt - this is easier, but you should pay attention to when it is getting dirty and swap it or clean when it gets dirty.

2. ⁠A handful of microfibre cloths - this is harder but means you're always working with something clean.

• ⁠Use the pre-wash function, spray it everywhere.

• ⁠Use the soap option - wave the brush around to get soap on every panel but only allow the brush to touch your glass or wheels - they can generally take the abuse. Your paint absolutely cannot. If you're using cloths, switch when the cloth your using is covered in dirt.

• ⁠Once soap is on the vehicle, wipe each panel with your mitt/towels. Wipe logically (Up-down, Left-right). Use the brush to supply you with more soap.

• Use the rinse function to remove all soap.

• ⁠Pull your car up somewhere to prevent a queue, and dry off the car with a couple of large microfiber towels. This is important so that you don’t leave water spots.

• ⁠Apply a good protection product - the cheap-ish modern stuff with ceramics is surprisingly effective. Do this every few months and cleaning will be easier.

I am deranged and do this once a week.
lol I, I have been in automotive repair business for over 45 years. Always had a detail shop. Scratching the paint is a very big deal especially on the high end European cars. No brushes and always microfiber cloths.

Reactions: Stickpucker

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Bird doo doo is my car's nemesis. I am lucky if I make it home from a carwash before one strikes.

When I lived in Raleigh full-time..I loved my weekly outing to the Bunky's on Glenwood.
Yepp, that’s why ours get washed once a week. Lol, my wife has been tying plastic bags to her mirrors because for some reason the cardinals sit on it all day

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I guess if I didn't have the dog or girlfriend I'd probably have the time, still a lot to do living on your own. Both are worth the loss of "free time"...but it does make getting things done very tricky while also not burning yourself out.
When I was really into it it was like therapy in the sense I could focus on just that one task and not worry about work or any other stressor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad