Confirmed Trade: [CAR/PIT] Jake Guentzel (25% retained), Ty Smith for Michael Bunting, Ville Koivunen, Vasili Ponomarev, Cruz Lucius, 2024 cond. 1st, 2024 cond. 5th

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I mean we've seen a 1st, prospect, 3rd dead for endless amounts of UFAs that were not as good as Guentzel. Giroux comes to mind.

It's obvious that Dubas took a lesser return from Carolina to add in a "win now" piece like Bunting.
I mean you just can’t claim that they took “less” without providing actual evidence that they did take less.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean you just can’t claim that they took “less” without providing actual evidence that they did take less.

I mean, I can and just did. But I guess we should just trust the GM who gave Carolina Seth Jarvis to get rid of Patrick Marleau, gave up Trevor Moore for Jack Campbell, gave up a 1st for Foligno as someone who typically gets great value back in trades.

Reactions: luiginb and td_ice

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I mean, I can and just did. But I guess we should just trust the GM who gave Carolina Seth Jarvis to get rid of Patrick Marleau, gave up Trevor Moore for Jack Campbell, gave up a 1st for Foligno as someone who typically gets great value back in trades.
You are giving examples of extraneous trades that mean nothing to the one being discussed.

Show me that another team offered more for Guentzel and Dubas decided to still trade him to Carolina.

Reactions: Ciao and wetcoast

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You are giving examples of extraneous trades that mean nothing to the one being discussed.

Show me that another team offered more for Guentzel and Dubas decided to still trade him to Carolina.

Nobody can show you that but Kyle Dubas.

Kyle’s penchant for getting absolutely crushed in player evaluation when it comes to his trade history does mean something.

Reactions: td_ice

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Nobody can show you that but Kyle Dubas.

Kyle’s penchant for getting absolutely crushed in player evaluation when it comes to his trade history does mean something.
Exactly. That’s the point. And no one else other than him will ever know that he took less just to trade him to Carolina.

It makes absolutely no sense what you are saying.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Dubas did not ever have nor did he trade Seth Jarvis.

Jarvis was drafted with the pick acquired from Toronto by Carolina as the price paid to take marleaus contact, so while Toronto didn't "trade" Jarvis, they gave up a 12 overall pick to dump Patrick marleau who turned into Jarvis.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Jarvis was drafted with the pick acquired from Toronto by Carolina as the price paid to take marleaus contact, so while Toronto didn't "trade" Jarvis, they gave up a 12 overall pick to dump Patrick marleau who turned into Jarvis.
13th*

I think Canes should be looking to extend Guentzel 8.5m-9m with that 8 year offer.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Guentzel pretty good player. Like to see Montreal give him big contract this summer. He would fit in nicely with Dach and Newhook. Maybe pave the way for Crosby the next year?

• Haha
Reactions: GreytWun

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
How do they have cap for that? They have a lot of RFA and UFA this offseason
Cap going up to 87.7m, then we can look at bridging Jarvis or Necas for 1 year, Ideally 1y 5.5m on Necas, and 8 year on Jarvis, that 1 year bridge for either Jarvis or Necas would open up cap the following season when Orlov 7.75 and Burns 5.82 come off. Then Nikishin and Morrow will be on ELCs

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
How do they have cap for that? They have a lot of RFA and UFA this offseason
They have the cap space to keep all of Necas (at $7-7.5M), Guentzel (at $8-9M) and Jarvis (on a bridge $5-6M or even long term at $7M or so). However, their blueline would be nowhere near the quality it has been over the years if they invest that much up front.

Personally, I think if they want to keep Guentzel, one of Kotkaniemi or Kuznetsov will have to be jettisoned this summer for cap reasons. Then, there’s a bit of room to replace Pesce and Skjei with another top 4D to play with Orlov.

There’s also the whole deal of them not wanting to pay 30yr olds for 8yrs. Guentzel has been a very good fit so far so they may bend on that. I think Guentzel walks in the end because it’s almost guaranteed he’s going to get more on the open market than the Canes will offer.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
They have the cap space to keep all of Necas (at $7-7.5M), Guentzel (at $8-9M) and Jarvis (on a bridge $5-6M or even long term at $7M or so). However, their blueline would be nowhere near the quality it has been over the years if they invest that much up front.

Personally, I think if they want to keep Guentzel, one of Kotkaniemi or Kuznetsov will have to be jettisoned this summer for cap reasons. Then, there’s a bit of room to replace Pesce and Skjei with another top 4D to play with Orlov.

There’s also the whole deal of them not wanting to pay 30yr olds for 8yrs. Guentzel has been a very good fit so far so they may bend on that. I think Guentzel walks in the end because it’s almost guaranteed he’s going to get more on the open market than the Canes will offer.

i think kuzy was a big mistake. He’s been kinda meh after his start. He will be hard to move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad