Confirmed Trade: [CAR/PHI] David Kase for Massimo Rizzo, 2025 5th round pick

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Kind of obvious this is connected to the failed DeAngelo ''trade''. Flyers avoid using a retained salary slot.
What possible reason could the league have for nixing that deal? What am I missing?
It's about the 1 year wait to re-acquire a player involved in a retained salary trade.

Gotta give credit to jfresh, he called it:

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
1691598313533.png

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Weird. This is way more "cap circumvent-y" to me than the original deal.

In isolation, CAR gives up a prospect AND a pick for the rights to a player in Europe who likely is coming back and only had 7 NHL games and middling AHL success when he was here.

But there's very much an under-the-table, "sorry for the hassle/thanks for paying the buyout so we could get our guy" element to this trade.

Even if it was just Rizzo for f.c. that would be less obvious.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
it's not that the league "saw it" that way. It is outlined in the CBA, and they are not going against the CBA as it opens up other things for interpretation.

They should have interpreted it as something that was not being done as malfeasance. The first trade was done at draft, the second should’ve been allowed after it.

Trade makes no sense for carolina unless we are trying to amend for the TDA snafu
Basically, yeah. And there was no reason to do the original trade unless the Flyers liked the prospect, which it appears they do.

Reactions: DaveG

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Forgot Rizzo existed tbh. Used to be pretty high on him. How's he doing these days? His NCAA numbers look decent (even considering he's 22) Any chance of an NHL career for him?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
:huh: What is David Kase worth? I mean, a 5th is more than enough for a guy who probably isn't on anybody's radar. Then Philly really wanted Rizzo... who is actually a really good NCAA player... ? I don't know, Rizzo > Kase to me, and I don't understand the pick. Unless Carolina is just saying "very sorry" for the way the DeAngelo scenario panned out? Classy by Carolina if so. :dunno:

Reactions: G Backup

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
it's not that the league "saw it" that way. It is outlined in the CBA, and they are not going against the CBA as it opens up other things for interpretation.
That's just the thing, it isn't outlined in the CBA.

What the CBA says, is:
(C) Under no circumstances may a Club:

(3) Reacquire within one (1) calendar year from the date of that
Retained Salary Transaction an SPC the Averaged Amount
and Player Salary and Bonuses of which that Club agreed
to retain as part of a Retained Salary Transaction;

What Canes tried to acquire was a completely different SPC signed by Philly and Tony D. And what happened was that the league did get creative with their interpretation and apparently deemed that such a transaction with retained salary would be equated to the one in the quoted bit of the CBA.

I'm not arguing that the League was in the wrong with that. But it wasn't at all as clear cut case as you present it to have been.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm not super disappointed with losing Rizzo. He has a chance, an uphill one, but a chance, to be an NHL player eventually. Probably not on our team, either. I'm more upset about also losing a 5th. This is clearly an offering to Philly for backing out of the deal originally, which is more the league's fault than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad