Confirmed Trade: [CAR/OTT] Viktor Stalberg for a 2017 3rd

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Can't see Burrows supplanting Pyatt's chemistry with Pageau. He's gonna have to be on our 4th line and that might be good for him.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Their roster is good, but not nearly good enough to be legit contenders. I guess anything is possible in the playoffs, but why mortgage the future for a middling team?

A) This isnt mortgaging the future
B) this is quite possibly our best chance to win the division for the next 5-10 years..
C) Dorion is showing faith in his team by bringing in some experienced help. Should make a good run at a 2nd round win

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Their roster is good, but not nearly good enough to be legit contenders. I guess anything is possible in the playoffs, but why mortgage the future for a middling team?

This type of sentiment is so assinine. Ottawa isn't a jugguernaut but they're having as good a season as they've had in a decade and could finish 1st in their division. If you're from a smaller market you owe it to your fan base to capitalize on these opportunities and improve your team as much as possible so they have a shot at winning a round or 2. With the state of the Atlantic this season that is very much a possibility for the sens. Personally I hate Burrows but after adding him and Stalberg their bottom 6 is significantly improved and they've addressed an obvious weakness with their team. They aren't cup contenders but a conference final and a month of exciting hockey is definitely possible.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

I don't like trading Dahlen at all, but it's hardly mortgaging the future.

If we had flipped Brown, White or Chabot then we'd be in taht territory, but now with just Dahlen and a 3rd.

We got **** value for Dahlen though, that's for sure.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Ottawa keep making bad trades, I can not remember a single one good trade or signing they have done the last years.

They do not need more depth. What they should have done is have gone for Radulov on free agents. They need players that do that little extra not more depth players. But lets give up the teams future for a couple of more deph players. I am not a ottawa fan, but I have notice that Ottawa constantly makes bad trades, and are passive on the free agent market and letting great players passing by there year after year.

Neither Burrows or Stålberg is bad players, they are good deph players and i guess they fits ottawas new coach, but they will not make the difference and they could get those types of players for free on the free agents.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Bruce Garrioch‏Verified account @SunGarrioch 12m12 minutes ago

"He told me he did a few cartwheels today," says Dorion on Boucher. #Sens

It's getting wild in there!

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Ottawa keep making bad trades, I can not remember a single one good trade or signing they have done the last years.

They do not need more depth. What they should have done is have gone for Radulov on free agents. They need players that do that little extra not more depth players. But lets give up the teams future for a couple of more deph players. I am not a ottawa fan, but I have notice that Ottawa constantly makes bad trades, and are passive on the free agent market and letting great players passing by there year after year.

Neither Burrows or Stålberg is bad players, they are good deph players and i guess they fits ottawas new coach, but they will not make the difference and they could get those types of players for free on the free agents.

A couple injuries means depth can make the biggest difference come playoff time. Giving theforward group a needed offensive boost beyond the top 6 could have a bigger impact than you think.

I don't think either of their trades have been bad. And I'm a Leaf fan who isn't particularly fond of Ottawa.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast

I have it on good authority that Kyle Turris and David Rundblad disagree with you.

Mike Condon and Ottawa's 5th rounder also say hi ;)

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Good call Dorion, lets trade another pick from a team that got spanked by the Bolts last night...

WTF is going on?!?!?!

Can anyone really say we didn't have anyone that could have played the role of Stalberg (9 points) in our system?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I have it on good authority that Kyle Turris and David Rundblad disagree with you.

Mike Condon and Ottawa's 5th rounder also say hi ;)

Methot for Foligno. Phaneuf for a bunch of rubbish, Lindberg and a 2nd was one of the best of the last 5 years. Anderson for Elliott.

We make some bad trades - make no mistake - but we make some decent ones too and some downright fantastic ones.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

You sound like someone who doesn't really know the context of the situations that they are describing.

How long is Ottawa supposed to keep rebuilding for? Until the leafs are ready to compete, then Ottawa can decide to trade a couple draft picks?

We've been rebuilding for 6 years, this team is what it is at this point with a little bit of help on the way from Chabot, White and Brown. All of our players are smack in their prime, may as well give it a shot in a weak division.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Good call Dorion, lets trade another pick from a team that got spanked by the Bolts last night...

WTF is going on?!?!?!

Can anyone really say we didn't have anyone that could have played the role of Stalberg (9 points) in our system?

Stalberg brings size, speed and effort to the 4th line and will help immensely on the PK. I don't get how this move is causing so much angst. A 3rd in this draft is pretty much nothing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Don't understand why some Sens fans are fretting over losing Dahlen and a 3rd rd pick when they are so close to the Atlantic div top spot. Karlsson is in his prime, he has a nice supporting group in their primes. They have not touched their core prospects. And they have added help from unforeseen injuries. Smile, these are exciting weeks for Ottawa. Atlantic is for the taking.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

They absolutely needed more depth. Their 4th line has been atrocious this year. They've tried some guys from the AHL and got nothing from them. Neil, Lazar, Puempel, Robinson, Wingels, Varrone, Blunden, McCormick and Bailey have played a combined 139 games for Ottawa and have scored 2 total goals. These moves take those guys out of the lineup. And they didn't exactly mortgage the future. A 3rd is whatever, and while losing Dahlen sucks, they still have all their grade A prospects.

Of course they could use a star player, too, but the primary one available right now [Duchene] has a very high asking price.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Don't understand why some Sens fans are fretting over losing Dahlen and a 3rd rd pick when they are so close to the Atlantic div top spot. Karlsson is in his prime, he has a nice supporting group in their primes. They have not touched their core prospects. And they have added help from unforeseen injuries. Smile, these are exciting weeks for Ottawa. Atlantic is for the taking.

It's not really Ottawa fans TBH. Seems like a lot of rival fanbases taking shots.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I think I kind of like what Ottawa is doing, why not try to get a bit better for a playoff run with the Atlantic like it is this year?

Depending on how the matchups play out going into the playoffs, an Atlantic team could have a good one shot at upsetting a Metro team to make the SCF.

I'm also a bit excited at the idea of one of Habs, Sens, Leafs having a series (obviously Leafs are getting me most excited)

Let's see how things go this could be a fun ride this year!

Best of luck Sens fans, wishing you well (unless we meet)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I get being upset about Dahlen for Burrows as that seems completely out of whack value wise. But when people are fretting over giving up a 3rd round pick in a weak draft for an NHLer when our coach is afraid to play the 4th liners available to him it just comes off as completely wacky. It is intensified when you consider we might win our division and are apparently seen by a lot of people as a darkhorse in the East (Via Pierre McGuire...).

We're having a good season. It doesn't matter if it was supposed to happen. If your team has momentum, and you have legit holes, you add at the deadline.

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
Haha, Rundblad was the worst trade ever, Ottawa traded Tarasenko for Rundblad.

No we didn't. There is a 0% chance that we would have taken Tarasenko with that pick. Stop perpetuating this myth.

I like the trade. The Burrows trade is inexcusable, but this is exactly what we need. The Atlantic may never be this open again. Tampa, Toronto, and Buffalo are only going to get better with time, now is as good a time as any to make a push.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad