Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part IV]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Not sure how that relates to what I was saying.

Shrug. I'm not sure why you're not sure.

you: they end up with the same contract and future QO

me: the future QO might not be the same issue bc he supposedly would negotiate a more team friendly Carolina deal than 6.1 M.

Im legit confused. How do you not get the relevance? Its important for highlighting how this likely works out for car much more easily than for mon after you ignored some very key factors in all of this. It's not the same situation for both teams which is why so many people realize how much worse it is for montreal. It seemed like you were playing the victim and convincing yourself there was just some double standard. You seemed to be acting like it's the literal same thing for montreal and Carolina so any excessive criticism of montreal is just bias.

But that's wrong. It's not the same

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
In the playoffs he was -5 and played against other teams weakest lines. Worst on the team was -6 that was paired with other teams top lines. He also had a -12 penalty drawn to taken ratio, so he was getting caught out position or retaliating a lot against weak opposition.

I dont know what world his regular season was pretty good either. Find a recent 3rd overall and pick in their third season and show me worst production.

I would say it's a small sample size. Obviously negative stats compared to your teammates are bad, especially the -12 penalties, but he did perform ok in both of his playoffs. Sending Toronto to game 7 with an OT winner is sort of a big deal, since everyone and their mom knew that Toronto would not be feeling good about their play if the series got that far.

In Canes point of view he is a good risk to take. They have a decent chance to roll a solid overall player, that has actual proven playoff experience, spending resources that would otherwise give them players that are either too young or too old (compared to the core) to compete in the playoffs even in the long run.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I don’t see it as a huge lose-lose for the Habs. Yes it sucks for them that they will have a massive hole at C but they get 2 decent picks in return for what could be fair value.
If they do match , it stings having to pay more for a player they weren’t ready to commit that much $ for but I don’t see it as a massive lose lose situation. I think Carolina might ne in a position to lose more if KK doesn’t improve ?

Reactions: Deam78

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I'm not interested in more 1st and 3rd rounders as meh pieces you just throw around. KK is not some beast deadline guy that gives you a better shot at a cup. Keep trying with that narrative but with someone else please.

And one last thing, when teams trade 1st, it's usually with protection or it's at a deadline and you have very good indication where the pick will be and how the prospect are in that draft cause it's closer to the draft.

This is not some low risk move. Sorry, You can talk on and and on about it and you won't change my mind
I literally said they hope he’ll be a solid 3rd c or maybe a 2nd line c/wing, not “some beast guy”

keep really trying hard to think the Habs won and or the Canes “lost” something major. It is a risky move that might not work. Good GMs are willing to take risks, especially when they’re team has the assets to risk

The Canes have scouts who, judging from their prospect pool, may have a better clue as to a players potential than some salty fans

Reactions: Sigurd

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don’t see it as a huge lose-lose for the Habs. Yes it sucks for them that they will have a massive hole at C but they get 2 decent picks in return for what could be fair value.
If they do match , it stings having to pay more for a player they weren’t ready to commit that much $ for but I don’t see it as a massive lose lose situation. I think Carolina might ne in a position to lose more if KK doesn’t improve ?
Carolina has one scenario where its a no lose situation. Montreal matches. They hurt the team that tried to poach their player and their team is exactly the same.

Montreal not matching increases the risk for Carolina and IMO reduces the risk for Montreal. Yes they lose out on Kotkaniemi's potential, but another team (Carolina) can deal with the contract and development headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino