Waived: [CAR] G Antti Raanta waived by the Hurricanes (cleared)

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's pretty tought to be a goalie in this league, you play one sub .900% season and no one wants you anymore. Career finished.
Goaltending has been watered down. There's no uniqueness anymore, it's about blocking, not necessarily stopping the puck. There's no Brodeur, Roy, or Hasek anymore. You've just gotta be the best huge guy who can cut angles. It's a boring position now.

Reactions: colchar

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Goaltending has been watered down. There's no uniqueness anymore, it's about blocking, not necessarily stopping the puck. There's no Brodeur, Roy, or Hasek anymore. You've just gotta be the best huge guy who can cut angles. It's a boring position now.
Shesterkin, Saaros, Sorokin, Bobrovsky, etc...Still a bunch of goalies thay rely on athleticism out there that are fun to watch.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
He's actually pretty good when healthy (seldom) and not overused. Read: Decent backup. Some team might be interested..

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gotta think the Flyers put in a claim. Anyone worse than them do so? New Jersey maybe?

Gotta think the Flyers put in a claim. Anyone worse than them do so? New Jersey maybe?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

With Vanecek on IR I can absolutely see NJ claiming Raanta as a veteran lottery ticket.

They aren't going to completely tank anyway, so why not make a cheap addition at the position of greatest need?

Reactions: Tripod

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
And in only 278 GP.

Almost certainly. He looks cooked. He's already cleared waivers this season.
He looked cooked in November and December, yes.

Since he was called back up after Christmas, he has a 2.09 GAA and a .902 SV%. Not fantastic, but no longer looked like he should be drummed out of the NHL. And that could be an improvement for a desperate team.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I hope Raanta gets claimed so he gets another shot in the NHL, but he has been BAD this year, and the man looks looks like he gets injured or is slow to get up literally every game he plays.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Would be an upgrade over the Flyers current backup tandem and would give them a marginally better shot at holding onto their playoff spot.

Reactions: Tripod

pooch

May 30, 2017
Would be an upgrade over the Flyers current backup tandem and would give them a marginally better shot at holding onto their playoff spot.
Seems like a no-brainer unless the Flyers have something else cooking.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Nope, they spend half their assets from the Toffoli trade on the corpse of Jake Allen instead.

Big brain stuff.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Nope, they spend half their assets from the Toffoli trade on the corpse of Jake Allen instead.

Big brain stuff.
You are not alone....Flyers with a league worst PP, and lost Hart so need a goalie....

...trades a 4th for a 35 year old dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad