Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Max Comtois signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $775k, two-way) - placed on waivers

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
1709632937333.png

is it teuvo or is it max? :huh::laugh:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don’t think he didn’t have an nhl deal because he was linked to the hockey Canada scandal, I don’t think he had an nhl deal because he wasn’t playing good hockey the last couple of years.

Reactions: DaveG

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
Exactly.
I guess all teams wanted to wait if he is linked closer to the incident…
He wasn‘t exactly great but this for sure cost him a buck or two…
His game went to crap around the same time the Canada WJC stuff started coming out. His work ethic was called out. He played himself off the Ducks.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Great movie

As for Comtois - he seems like someone who had it going and everything just kinda fell apart rather quickly. Have to wonder if its related to the WJC case

He couldn't stay in the lineup last year for a historically terrible Ducks team, because coaches and management felt his effort level and conditioning were too far lacking to justify playing him. Maybe something away from hockey has caused this, but it's intangibles that forced him out of the league.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
He couldn't stay in the lineup last year for a historically terrible Ducks team, because coaches and management felt his effort level and conditioning were too far lacking to justify playing him. Maybe something away from hockey has caused this, but it's intangibles that forced him out of the league.
Any possibility he had long covid?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Good depth option for the playoffs. Plays a heavier, shoot first game, the type of game the Canes could definitely use if they matchup against a team like the Panthers again.

Reactions: DaveG

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
But Comtois DID say he wasn’t involved in any way. His statement from almost 2 years ago:
Look at what he said compared to others. It's all speculation, but his statement is a lot more carefully worded about what he is denying.

Here is Taylor Raddysh's statement for instance, which is far from the strongest of denials (like Makar): "At that time, I co-operated fully with the initial Hockey Canada investigation. I was not in any way involved in the alleged incident and I am prepared to co-operate with any additional investigations in the future."

Notice how he says "in the alleged incident" instead of the "in the alleged abuse", there's a lot of grey area in between those two things.
Randoms on the internet were accusing him because he couldn’t get an NHL contract, assuming teams knew something we didn’t. But he was a very borderline NHLer, likely just wasn’t quite good enough to get a deal in the offseason.
It's a bit odd for a player that turned 24 a few months prior to appear in 210 NHL games and not receive a Qualifying Offer, and then not receive any NHL contract (which doesn't necessarily mean playing in the NHL, but a contract to come into training camp/battle for a spot/potentially go through waivers but then have the possibility to get called up).

Certainly nothing is 100% but those two facts put together, and now we can add "did receive an NHL contract not long after the charges were made against players that weren't him" presents a connective tissue that he was more involved in things related to the investigation than some others.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

If there was a particular health issue, it was never made public, but they didn't pull punches about publicly calling him out for effort and consistency.

There was a clip posted of the Ducks dressing room post game last year (or maybe the year before) where Comtois just visibly looked a bit doughy compared to anyone else, appeared to have love handles.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Have had an irrational hatred for this guy ever since he botched the world jrs in Vancouver.
Is it irrational?

His body language before and after the shot. The fact he wore the C. The fact it was in Canada. The fact he wasn't showing much leadership in a game where the team needed it. You had guys like Frost and Tippett on the bench who were looking dangerous all game.

Nerves got to him. I wasnt too interested in him before that shot but I quickly realized he wasn't someone I wanted on my team moving forward.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Is it irrational?

His body language before and after the shot. The fact he wore the C. The fact it was in Canada. The fact he wasn't showing much leadership in a game where the team needed it. You had guys like Frost and Tippett on the bench who were looking dangerous all game.

Nerves got to him. I wasnt too interested in him before that shot but I quickly realized he wasn't someone I wanted on my team moving forward.

I disagree. I thought he was great.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
But Comtois DID say he wasn’t involved in any way. His statement from almost 2 years ago:

Randoms on the internet were accusing him because he couldn’t get an NHL contract, assuming teams knew something we didn’t. But he was a very borderline NHLer, likely just wasn’t quite good enough to get a deal in the offseason. Now that charges have been laid, and he wasn’t charged, the Comtois stuff should really be put to rest.

Lol, like that would stop people from making the allegations anyway. When you have the "guilty until proven innocent" agenda, facts don't matter. Only manufactured outrage.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Look at what he said compared to others. It's all speculation, but his statement is a lot more carefully worded about what he is denying.

Here is Taylor Raddysh's statement for instance, which is far from the strongest of denials (like Makar): "At that time, I co-operated fully with the initial Hockey Canada investigation. I was not in any way involved in the alleged incident and I am prepared to co-operate with any additional investigations in the future."

Notice how he says "in the alleged incident" instead of the "in the alleged abuse", there's a lot of grey area in between those two things.

It's a bit odd for a player that turned 24 a few months prior to appear in 210 NHL games and not receive a Qualifying Offer, and then not receive any NHL contract (which doesn't necessarily mean playing in the NHL, but a contract to come into training camp/battle for a spot/potentially go through waivers but then have the possibility to get called up).

Certainly nothing is 100% but those two facts put together, and now we can add "did receive an NHL contract not long after the charges were made against players that weren't him" presents a connective tissue that he was more involved in things related to the investigation than some others.
But Comtois specifically said:

I was not involved in any way with the alleged abuse, and, as far as I know, no one has ever suggested otherwise.

He's specifically calling out "I was not even accused." Whereas if you look at the statements from the players who have ended up getting charged, they mostly just say they weren't involved in "wrongdoing," but don't deny being accused. Or ... some made no statements at all.

The statements of the players facing charges, from: https://www.cbc.ca/news/players-statements-world-juniors-2018-1.6597503

Michael McLeod
I am aware of the situation in 2018 and the investigation and I've been co-operative through the entire investigation and process, but since it's still ongoing, I'm unable to comment any further.
Note: no denial of any kind

Dillon Dube
Dillon did not engage in any wrongdoing, and he co-operated fully with the independent London Police Service investigation in 2018, through which all players were then cleared of any wrongdoing.
Note: no denial of being accused/involved, just that he was cleared of "wrongdoing" at the time

Carter Hart
None of the players you reference engaged in any wrongdoing, all of the players cooperated fully with the independent London Police Service investigation in 2018, and all players were then cleared of any wrongdoing.
Note: same as Dube, no denial of being accused/involved, just cleared of "wrongdoing."

Cal Foote
I can't find any sort of publicized statement. His lawyer apparently denied Foote's involvement when asked by Global News, but Foote didn't come out with a statement like most players did.

Alex Formenton
Didn't make a statement at all

Comtois gave a hard initial denial of even being accused, and now that charges have been laid, we know he wasn't among the players changed. I think McLeod, Dube, Hart, Foote and Formenton are most likely rapists (personal opinion from everything I've read, obviously the court's decision is still pending), but there's just zero evidence that Comtois was involved. It was pure speculation based on him being on that WJC team, and not getting an NHL contract, nothing else. But all signs point to him being uninvolved, and just not good enough to earn an NHL contract. He was pretty bad his last couple years in Anaheim, and hasn't been overly impressive in the AHL this year. And it's not like he's been promoted to the NHL, even now - Carolina signed him to a 2-way deal then waived him, he's staying in the AHL for now (at a lower wage due to the 2-way deal), Carolina are just keeping him as injury replacement depth, but he's not a top 12 forward for them.

I do think it's time to stop dragging Comtois' name through the mud, when there's just nothing pointing to his involvement. McLeod, Dube, Hart, Foote and Formenton, I think they likely are rapists, f*** those guys, but I see nothing to indicate Comtois was involved. I do think it's possible other players were involved in some manner, but that could be Comtois or anyone else on the team, but I see nothing to indicate Comtois was more likely to be involved than any of the other players who were in London that night.

It's also worth noting that the 5 accused were all OHL and WHL players - the initial player who brought all the other players over likely reached out to his friends from juniors. Comtois played in the Q, none of the players from outside the OHL/WHL were charged (Comtois, Makar, Fabbro and Colton Point), I personally thing those guys are the least likely to be involved, as they're the least likely to have existing strong connections with the (alleged) rapist crew.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arthuros

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
The guy could absolutely fly for a guy his size, and it disappeared, so there's that. I mean it would explain him looking lazy. Things did seem to be going fine, and then just went to poop all of a sudden.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad