Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Max Comtois signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $775k, two-way) - placed on waivers

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Just looked up his stats, what’s his deal? Averaged a good amount of points and couldn’t secure an NHL contract till now?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Just looked up his stats, what’s his deal? Averaged a good amount of points and couldn’t secure an NHL contract till now?
With the Ducks, it was a combination of things. The first year he played roller all summer and came in to camp in good shape with good hands and a simple game (get to the soft spots and wait for a pass). He had a good, quick release so it worked with Lundestrom (defensive C that did the hard work) and Rakell (good offensive forward).

He started coming in to camp out of shape and his game changed after, not as much going to the areas that worked (or unable to get there fast enough maybe). He also had bad luck (I think) the year after his good year with injuries and Covid and never got going. After that, every time he started to look good it felt like he got scratched or demoted. Not sure if there were behind the scenes issues.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
His name was often mentioned in relation to *ahem*…something. There was a lot of smoke so either he is owed a massive apology or he may be getting subpoenaed
Exactly.
I guess all teams wanted to wait if he is linked closer to the incident…
He wasn‘t exactly great but this for sure cost him a buck or two…

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Intriguing. Canes have had some pro scouting Ws recently, generating some solid NHL role players from initial AHL contracts (Noesen, Chatfield).

EDIT: Meant to say two-way contracts that saw them start in the AHL initially. Spaced out for a moment.

Last edited:

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Exactly.
I guess all teams wanted to wait if he is linked closer to the incident…
He wasn‘t exactly great but this for sure cost him a buck or two…
I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up testifying as a witness. If I’m remembering correctly there were like 3 players who made vague statements who weren’t charged; my hunch is that they are witnesses. Obviously people can lie but other players stressed that they weren’t involved in that room in any way

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
With Springfield and Colorado in the playoff picture, canes just building some forward depth

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Have had an irrational hatred for this guy ever since he botched the world jrs in Vancouver.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Intriguing. Canes have had some pro scouting Ws recently, generating some solid NHL role players from initial AHL contracts (Noesen, Chatfield).
Not entirely accurate as both these guys were on nhl deals. They just started their time in our organization in the ahl. The one miss that really stings is Forsling.

Have had an irrational hatred for this guy ever since he botched the world jrs in Vancouver.
At least you can admit that hating on something a teenager did in a game is irrational.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Great movie

As for Comtois - he seems like someone who had it going and everything just kinda fell apart rather quickly. Have to wonder if its related to the WJC case
People was all pumped up for Dark Knight all year in 2008. July 18. It delivered. July 25 Step Brothers comes out of thin air and is just as good a contribution in hindsight to the film world.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up testifying as a witness. If I’m remembering correctly there were like 3 players who made vague statements who weren’t charged; my hunch is that they are witnesses. Obviously people can lie but other players stressed that they weren’t involved in that room in any way
But Comtois DID say he wasn’t involved in any way. His statement from almost 2 years ago:

Randoms on the internet were accusing him because he couldn’t get an NHL contract, assuming teams knew something we didn’t. But he was a very borderline NHLer, likely just wasn’t quite good enough to get a deal in the offseason. Now that charges have been laid, and he wasn’t charged, the Comtois stuff should really be put to rest.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm having a conversation with a guy. If ya see the previous messages ya see how we got there.
This forum business is difficult!

But Comtois DID say he wasn’t involved in any way. His statement from almost 2 years ago
Involved in the act of abuse. The specific wording may suggest he may have been present in a non-active role.

But I'm not one to speculate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad