Confirmed Trade: [CAR/BUF] Jeff Skinner for 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd and 6th, and Cliff Pu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Have the ultra-homers rationalized this down to Skinner sucks?

That and he's a locker room cancer.

Nah, he doesn't suck and he's not a locker room cancer. Years of playing on a bad team with no seeming progression caused him to half-ass it on more nights than he probably should have.

And that's understandable, but when a new owner comes in and sees that happening, and when the new coach has watched it happened (and played his game giving full-ass 100% of the time), it's not too much of a surprise that they decide to move on.

It probably won't continue to happen in Buffalo (unless they remain a bad team for the next few years). But I don't see that happening.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nice get for the Sabres, but I'm not sure why they're simultaneously buying and selling at the same time. I could get adding Sheary and Skinner if you're trying to get better, but adding Sheary and Skinner while trading ROR for 2 overpaid and mediocre 3rd liners, a good forward prospect and picks just seems weird to me. Sure, their team will be deeper (as compared to regularly playing Scott Wilson in your top-9), but I'm really doubting they'll end up better.

They'll have to have the young guys step up into big roles for me to think they'll be better, guys like Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Guhle and Reinhart really need to step it up from where they were last year (in Dahlin's case, he probably has to be a top-4 D right away) for me to think that they'll be anything more than a basement dweller.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
You don't have to ask Skinner twice to carry the puck.

....and no matter how many times you ask, he won't pass it...

This just looks to be a team that is making a trade for the sake of making a trade.

Nah, as a Canes fan, I'd be the first to admit that the return was pretty underwhelming. However, given all the things in consideration surrounding the Canes and Skinner, it was something they had to do. Not a trade for trade's sake, but a move to effect a change in the organization. Still something of a dramatic roll of the dice...and I like Skinner, warts and all.

In that vein, whether you want to say Skinner would be on a "3rd line" or not, he's a 30 goal scorer and not a "3rd liner" no matter how many times Svechhammer wants to say it.

I think there's a misunderstanding of how Skinner was used the last few seasons, especially last year. At the beginning of the season, the organization likely thought that a line of Skinner/Rask/Lindholm was one of the lines in their Top 6 and those guys did play together a good bit for the first two months or so of the season. But for the majority of the season thereafter, Jeff Skinner played with a combo of Derek Ryan, Lee Stempniak, Phil DiGiuseppe, and others. He's a difficult guy to play with as a linemate. Hurricanes fans, like myself, who watched nearly every game saw Skinner with mostly 3rd line duties the majority of the season. He was sheltered a ridiculous amount. He flat out played sheltered minutes because of his defensive deficiencies.

But he's a pure goal scorer who simply gave up a bit earlier in the season than was palatable for the new owner and the new coach.

I don't think the value is bad for Carolina as much as the fit. I get not wanting to lose him for nothing, but moving him at the deadline if they were out of contention seems more prudent to me.

The issue then becomes, does the increased return and even the potential offensive contributions, offset the perceived "other issues" that management clearly had with Jeff. That will never be determined, but it certainly came into play in the decision-making.

disorder

Oct 31, 2008
Buffalo is having a great off season. They didn't get as much as they'd like for ROR but adding Skinner and Sheary for not a lot makes up for it. They will be able to re-evaluate at the deadline and if they are not in serious contenders, will be able to move Skinner and Sheary for more than they paid for them. At least that is probably what they are thinking,

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I've been a Sabres fan for about two decades. I think I am allowed to poke a little fun at my favourite team. Should probably have checked my post history before you decided to try and chastise me bud. Or even just checked out the Sabres board where I post frequently.

I apologize. Being a Sabres' fan has been taxing over the past number of years. I'm very defensive of my team. I should have done some homework.

Phasenet

Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Wow. Playing on a perennial crap team really hurts your value despite the talent. Stars like Hall, O'Reilly and Skinner get traded for spare parts.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Probably already said on here but theres so many pages.

1. Car got robbed for not getting a 1st or active solid player
2.If skinner resigns its even more lopsided he's a 1a winger& also i used to play against him in the gthl;)
3. Even if buffalo doesn't resign him or make the playoffs they could retain salary and rent him out for the playoffs and get a better return than what the canes got for a full year of skinner to the sabres lol...

reminds me a bit of the Hoffman situation if he doesn't resign in buffalo. No way they just let him walk if they are dead last in the standings with no playoff hope.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I apologize. Being a Sabres' fan has been taxing over the past number of years. I'm very defensive of my team. I should have done some homework.

No worries, I appreciate you not ghosting. I know it is weird. You should see the looks I get here in Toronto when people find out I am a Sabres fan. It's the same face my dog gives me when my cat starts licking him (wtf is happening?)

Reactions: Genny Screamer

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nice get for the Sabres, but I'm not sure why they're simultaneously buying and selling at the same time. I could get adding Sheary and Skinner if you're trying to get better, but adding Sheary and Skinner while trading ROR for 2 overpaid and mediocre 3rd liners, a good forward prospect and picks just seems weird to me. Sure, their team will be deeper (as compared to regularly playing Scott Wilson in your top-9), but I'm really doubting they'll end up better.

They'll have to have the young guys step up into big roles for me to think they'll be better, guys like Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Guhle and Reinhart really need to step it up from where they were last year (in Dahlin's case, he probably has to be a top-4 D right away) for me to think that they'll be anything more than a basement dweller.

I think they finally figured out that throwing high end prospects on the ice with no NHL level support around them is how you end up with a busted Reinhart. If they're actually somehow competitive it's just the cherry on top.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So it sounds like the narrative that he used his NTC to reject a bunch of offers is not legit.

Waddell also said Skinner didn't turn down any offers, but said the list of teams he was given that Skinner would accept a trade to was quite small.

Truth probably lies somewhere in between.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Skinner was a team worst -27 last season... Far worse than any other forward on the team. Looks to me like Brindamour wanted him gone.. also goes a long way as to why Skinner spent the entire season on a #3 line.... Every one looks at 30 goals and forgets there are two ends of the ice.. ..

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think they finally figured out that throwing high end prospects on the ice with no NHL level support around them is how you end up with a busted Reinhart. If they're actually somehow competitive it's just the cherry on top.

That makes sense, they're definitely a deeper team now but they've taken a hit on their top end players. I could definitely see the argument that surrounding guys like Mittelstadt with older veterans like Berglund and Sobotka will help ease him into the NHL. I just don't think they'll be better with more mediocre veterans than 1 top end player.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's strange how folks think the Canes got hosed when players like him go for about 1st rounder and mid level prospect at best. That second rounder is about # 35, no much different that an 25 pick, and Pu is a prospect.
I just wonder if the Sabres will commit be a common mistake,,,,,signing Skinner for too much $$$ or term, in order to justify the trade in the first place.
For Sabres sake, don't look at the trade but when (if) offering him an extension, forecast accurately his value for the next seven years.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
So it sounds like the narrative that he used his NTC to reject a bunch of offers is not legit.

I believe Skinner when he says he didn't actively veto any trades. But that doesn't rule out the possibility that there were potential deals the Canes couldn't consider because they were from teams Skinner didn't have on his "go to " list.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Why are people talking about Conor Sheary like he’s Marty St Louis. Guy rides the coattails of Sid then gets thrown out the door like Jazzy Jeff but now he’s some stud first line left winger. Lol

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Skinner was a team worst -27 last season... Far worse than any other forward on the team. Looks to me like Brindamour wanted him gone.. also goes a long way as to why Skinner spent the entire season on a #3 line.... Every one looks at 30 goals and forgets there are two ends of the ice.. ..

His PDO was a ridiculously low 94.5, lowest on the team of anyone who played significant games (at least half).
His On Ice Save Pct is the main culprit. Now, it's possible that Skinner (and his linemates) were just so putrid at D that the other team just scored at a ridiculously high shooting % (87.8 On Ice Sv%). Possible. But look at his other possession numbers, the team easily outshot the opposition when he was on the ice. Bad defense could be part of the problem, but just pure dumb luck, bad goaltending and linemates who couldn't shoot seem to be problems as well.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Reinhart hasn't busted....he's a very productive NHLer and is near the top of his class in points kind of a disappointment for #2 but he's still really young and has a long career ahead of him.

Reactions: DoobieDubas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad